Welcome, New Members!

There are 1,696 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 646,317 times. The latest Post () was by FanoftheDuke67.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Dakota Surfer,

We, too, would like to welcome you to the John Wayne Message Board, the best little message board around, dedicated to one of the greatest actors around! We sure are glad you persevered and got signed on to join us, and we look forward to getting to know you better in the days and weeks to come!

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

• Dakota Surfer,

I echo what Chester said and hope we will get to know you for a long time. I think you will find that this site is a great place to meet John Wayne fans all over the world. Just look around and post when you can.

Cheers Hondo :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Thanks, everybody. It's great to be here! The Birthplace of John Wayne is a bit late on getting this 100th Birthday Centennial Celebration organized and things are literally updating almost daily, and I wanted to spread the word to the faithful, and this seemed by far to be very the best place to do so.

It's going to be an exciting time, but it's also to help raise the money for the new state-of-the-art John Wayne Museum and Learning Center, the only museum in the world we are aware of devoted to John Wayne. And what better place to have it than in the very town where the Duke was born?

The best and most up-to-date source of Centennial events and schedules is http://www.johnwaynebirthplace.org/centennial. I update that just as soon as information is finalized.

I'll be happy to answer any questions I can. And yes, my name really is Wayne (no relation to Marion Morrison though LOL).

• Hi all!!
    I havent been on the site for a bit now, but now that i have my stuff together, i need to know how to go by doing it.
    I was told to take pics of all of the things i have, then come on to here and see if anyone would like first dibs before i go on to Ebay...
    So here is your opportunity to get it first
    All of it ranges from movies, to posters, to a wooden carving, to statues
    Let me know, i will send you pics... there are too many to post
    Thanks
    Jen

• Hi Wayne,

Welcome aboard. How is it that you were able to join this board after its been around for four years or so, and the name "Wayne" had not yet been taken!

Best wishes,

GSP

"...all of this and General Price that baby sister makes it back to Yell county" --Rooster Cogburn, True Grit.

• Wayne,

We'd like to join the others in welcoming you to the John Wayne Message Board, the best of its kind on the 'net!

Do keep us informed on the activities in Winterset. I know we've had quite a bit of discussion around here about an "official" John Wayne museum over the past couple of years. We're glad to see that Winterset might have a nice new museum.

You know, the Ronald Reagan museum has a plaque in front naming some of the major corporations who made donations, and I'd be willing to bet that some of them would be willing to donate to a John Wayne museum. It might be worth checking out.

Again - WELCOME!

• Jen (aka dads-collection),

I see you joined the message board last year, and somehow we missed your first post at that time. Sorry to have missed you then, but glad to make your acquaintance now, and WELCOME to the John Wayne Message Board! We are a friendly lot, and of course all BIG fans of John Wayne.

Hopefully, after being here for awhile, you might decide you want to keep all that stuff your dad collected over the years :regular_smile: .

In any case, we hope to get to know you better in the days and weeks to come.

• Thanks for letting me join!
    I found this board searching for holster information and found a lot of other things that caught my interest.
    As I reach an age where I can enjoy older movies my DVD collection is growing away from modern material and endless remakes and towards westerns, film noir and some samurai flicks.
    I guess I recently rediscovered John Wayne because in some I see him as something other than the typical "hero". I don't recall that his movies were filled with characters where nobody is a good guy (like some spaghetti westerns) and he actually seemed competent with his gear (unlike another star who affects a flinch when firing) and can deliver one-liners as well as any past or current star.
    I was born in Missouri (live in southern AZ) so I might place too much importance on one-liners but I can tell when someone can handle a gun, ride a horse or throw a rope. There is a physical credibility to his performances that I'm acquainted with that exists with few other stars or supporting actors.

This is a very small point to most people but John Wayne's habit of carrying a practical revolver in a practical holster is part of what caught my attention. For years I've been meaning to get a decent single action and holster but as much as I wanted a Hollywood style I couldn't find one that did not seem excessively flashy. Silver, fringes and shiny leather are not my cup of tea though I can appreciate them. Then I saw Rio Bravo. And then I saw Hondo. Then (despite Richie Cunningham's presence) I saw The Shootist.
    After what I've read on this board I've got a new list of JW movies (and a few Cagney flicks) to buy.

I have a ton of questions but I'm going to search some more and try to avoid a few newbie questions.
    Thanks for running this board and thanks again for letting me join.

Regards,
    Jon

All generalizations are wrong.

• Spartan and J E D. Welcome to the site. We have a bunch of members who have knowledge in alot of areas. So if you get stuck and want to know something, just ask.

Great to have you on board, I look forward to chatting with you.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne