Cast A Giant Shadow (1966)

There are 29 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 39,675 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• 1407871023_3[1].jpg
    CAST A GIANT SHADOW

PRODUCED, DIRECTED AND WRITTEN BY MELVILLE SHAVELSON
    CO-PRODUCED BY MICHAEL WAYNE
    MIRISCH-LLENROC/BATJAC PRODUCTION
    UNITED ARTISTS

INFORMATION FROM IMDb

Plot Summary
    An American Army officer is recruited by the yet to exist Israel to help them form an army.
    He is disturbed by this sudden appeal to his jewish roots.
    Each of Israel's Arab neighbors has vowed to invade the poorly prepared country as soon as partition is granted.
    He is made commander of the Israeli forces just before the war begins.
    Summary written by John Vogel

Full Cast
    Kirk Douglas .... Col. David 'Mickey' Marcus
    Senta Berger .... Magda Simon
    Angie Dickinson .... Emma Marcus
    James Donald .... Maj. Safir
    Stathis Giallelis .... Ram Oren
    Luther Adler .... Jacob Zion
    Topol .... Abou Ibn Kader
    Ruth White .... Mrs. Chaison
    Gordon Jackson .... James MacAfee
    Michael Hordern .... British ambassador
    Allan Cuthbertson .... Immigration officer
    Jeremy Kemp .... British Immigration senior
    Sean Barrett .... British Immigration junior
    Michael Shillo .... Andre Simon
    Rina Ganor .... Rona
    Roland Bartrop .... Bert Harrison
    Robert Gardett .... Gen. Walsh
    Michael Balston .... Sentry #1
    Claude Aliotti .... Sentry #2
    Samra Dedes .... Belly dancer
    Michael Shagrir .... Truck driver
    Frank Latimore .... UN officer
    Ken Buckle .... UN officer
    Rod Dana .... Aide to Gen. Randolph (as Rodd Dana)
    Robert Ross .... Aide to Chief of Staff
    Arthur Hansel .... Officer
    Dan Sturkie .... Parachute sergeant (as Don Sturkie)
    Hillel Rave .... Yaakov
    Shlomo Hermon .... Yussuf
    Frank Sinatra .... Vince Talmadge
    Yul Brynner .... Asher Gonen
    John Wayne .... Gen. Mike Randolph
    Vera Dolen .... Mrs. Martinson (scenes deleted)
    Gary Merrill .... Pentagon Chief of Staff (scenes deleted)
    Winston Churchill .... Himself (archive footage) (uncredited)
    Michael Douglas .... Jeep driver (uncredited)
    Rudolf Hess .... Himself at Nuremberg (archive footage) (uncredited)
    Fiorello LaGuardia .... Himself (archive footage) (uncredited)
    Danny Perlman .... Jeep driver (uncredited)
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt .... Himself (archive footage) (uncredited)
    Joseph Stalin .... Himself (archive footage) (uncredited)

Original Music
    Elmer Bernstein

Cinematography
    Aldo Tonti

Stunts
    Ken Buckle .... stunts (uncredited)
    Jack Cooper .... stunts (uncredited)
    Joe Powell .... stunts (uncredited)

Tivia
    Director Melville Shavelson and Kirk Douglas fought throughout the shoot. At one point, Shavelson even walked off the set, leaving his assistant to take over for the day.

Michael Douglas' movie debut.

During filming in August 1965 John Wayne enraged director Melville Shavelson with his views on the Watts Riots.

During filming in August 1965 John Wayne enraged director Melville Shavelson with his views on the Watts Riots.

This film marked the English-language film debut of Topol.

The poem that Emma quotes whilst dancing with Mickey is "I Have a Rendezvous with Death" by Alan Seeger (1888-1916).

The scene where Frank Sinatra's spotter plane is attacked by an Arab fighter uses a brief clip from '633 Squadron' showing a Nord 2002 (French -built Messerschmitt Bf108).

Though not really trivia, it is there for all who view it to see, this film's opening prologue states: "The major events in this film actually happened. Some of them are still happening. The major characters actually lived. Many of them are still living. Although it was not easy." At the time of release, this statement was probably the case.

John Wayne was on board as producer and star before Kirk Dougla

Goofs
    Anachronisms
    When first seen, Angie Dickinson and Senta Berger are shown wearing fashions from the 1960s when the film was made, not the 1940s when the film was set.

Although the film takes place between 1947 and 1948, Magda's car is a 1954 Pontiac Star Chief Convertible.

Colonel Marcus and Magda are riding in an American convertible near the middle of the film. It is not a car prior to 1948; it is a 1954 Pontiac Star Chief convertible.

Colonel Marcus arrives in Palestine in early 1948 on a civilian Boeing Stratocruiser.
    The first Stratocruisers were delivered to the airlines in February 1949, nearly a year later.

When returning home to his ailing wife, Col. Marcus arrives from the airport in a "Checker" cab that was built in the mid to late fifties. The movie takes place in 1947 and 48.

In the beginning of the film, Kirk Douglas is in Macy's playing with some toys. One is the "Tiger Joe Tank", another is Mattel's "Tommy Burst" machine gun, both of which were introduced in the 1960's. The scene is dated 1947.

Crew or equipment visible
    In a sequence portraying a night attack of an enemy position, there is a brief cutaway from the action to a shot of Mickey, Asher Gonen, and Magda intently listening to reports from the battle. At the moment the cut to this shot occurs, the slate is visible being withdrawn from the frame, from left to right. In freeze frame, one can even see the title, "Cast A Giant Shadow" printed at the top of the slate.

Factual errors
    In a flashback scene, Colonel Marcus (Kirk Douglas) is shown parachuting into France on D-Day with the 101st Airborne. As he stands in the doorway of the aircraft before jumping, it is clearly daylight. However, the parachute drops on D-Day took place at night.

Colonel Marcus gives Magda his good conduct medal before he departs the first time. The good conduct medal is only awarded to enlisted soldiers. Colonel Marcus graduated from West Point and was a commissioned officer during his entire army career, and therefore would not have received this medal.

When Colonel Marcus first meets General Randolph, there is a Curtiss C-46 in the background. The blue in insignia markings is too pale and the plane lacks the black and white "Invasion Stripes" that were painted on the fuselage and wings of all aircraft involved in the Normandy Invasion. Also, the paratroop drop at Normandy occurred at night, not broad daylight as depicted in the movie.

When Col. Marcus is jumping with the paratroops, the jump light inside the aircraft is blinking red; it should be green.

Revealing mistakes
    When Vince Talmadge is shown in his spotter plane throwing seltzer bottles down on the Arab positions, a high pitched whistling sound is heard almost immediately from each bottle. When the Arab fighter makes its final pass on his plane, he squirts one last seltzer bottle at it and then throws it away. This time, there is no whistling sound. Someone forgot to add the sound during the editing processs.

Memorable Quotes

Filming Locations
    Cinecittà, Rome, Lazio, Italy
    (studio)
    Israel
    Rome, Lazio, Italy

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 9 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Cast a Giant Shadow is a 1966 big-budget action movie
    based on the life of Colonel Mickey Marcus
    starring Kirk Douglas and Senta Berger.
    Yul Brynner, John Wayne, Frank Sinatra, and Angie Dickinson
    also appear in supporting roles.
    Melville Shavelson adapted, produced and directed.[4]

Like The Longest Day
    this is a film, where, because of careful editing,
    Duke seems to be in the film all the way through!!
    In fact, he only appears in 6 sequences, totalling 11 minutes.
    Of course this is a Kirk Douglas film, that Kirk
    could not get backing for, until Duke and Batjac
    came along.
    It was because of this, that Kirk repaid the favour, by agreeing
    to appear in The War Wagon, just after.

Once again Duke proved he could act a great commander on film,
    and acquitted himself in the film.
    Kirk Douglas, Frank Sinatra, Angie Dickinson,
    all played well.

However the film, made less impact than Duke would have liked.
    Overall, I think this is a wonderful film, and a pleasure to watch,
    although it had a very sad ending.

User Review

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• I've always enjoyed this movie. I bought it last year on DVD. My favorite character in the film is Abou Bin Kader played by Topol in his pre-Fiddler On The Roof days. He just made me laugh and laugh. Also, Angie Dickinson and Senta Berger both looked ravishing.

• Memorable Quotes

Thre are numerous quotes for this film, and I have included a few of them,
    follow the link at the bottom, for many more:-

Maj. Safir: Colonel Marcus?
    Bert Harrison: Merry Christmas.
    Maj. Safir: My name is Safir, and my business is private.
    Col. David 'Mickey' Marcus: Bert Harrison, my law partner. Mr. Safir, who conducts his private business in Macy's window.

Col. David 'Mickey' Marcus: Would you give up everything you love to fight an insane war for a little country that's gonna get its brains blown out in a couple of weeks?
    Maj. Safir: If it were my country.
    Col. David 'Mickey' Marcus: Maybe it's yours, but... it isn't mine.
    Maj. Safir: But you are a Jew.
    Col. David 'Mickey' Marcus: I'm an American, Major. That's my religion. The last time I was in Temple I was 13 years old. I made a speech and got 42 fountain pens. I don't have to go again. I've got enough fountain pens.

Emma Marcus: I guess I'm proud of you. But I'm so damn tired of being proud of you.

Emma Marcus: Did you ever notice we don't have any children?
    Col. David 'Mickey' Marcus: Only me.

Emma Marcus: I was the only girl in Brooklyn who didn't get pregnant during the war.
    Col. David 'Mickey' Marcus: Hm?
    Emma Marcus: My mother kept the statistics.

INFORMATION IMDb

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060218/quotes

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Some epic scenes a good storyline if a little one sided in terms of the Arab position. I wonder if this region will ever know peace

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Hi Everyone

Does anyone know of a "Making of" or behind the scenes or a production featurette relating to this movie please?

thanks

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• thanks Jim.

I asked about the making of because there used to be a website Sabucat,com that listed one as being in thier footage archives. They have closed thier site now and no-one else is listing this.

As always I was hoping to get a copy. And before anyone asks I did ask Sabucat when they were open but they wanted $6000 yes six thousand dollars for what would have amounted to 100 minutes or less of JW clips they had in thier archives.

Too much even for a dedicated collecotor like me.

I just emailed them and they will not tell me what is going to happen to all the footage they have. In fact I just got a one line answer saying we are closed.

So still looking for info re this making of or production short or whatever it is.

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind