Laramie (1959-1963)

There are 6 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 10,339 times. The latest Post () was by Laramie.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• LARAMIE

REVUE/ NBC

Information From IMDb

Plot summary
    It is the 1870s in Wyoming Territory. Slim Sherman and his 14-year-old brother Andy
    try to hang on to their ranch after their father is shot by a land grabber.
    They augment their slight cattle ranch income by serving as a
    stagecoach station near Laramie.
    Written by Ed Stephan

Series Cast
    Robert Fuller ... Jess Harper (98 episodes, 1959-1963)
    John Smith ... Slim Sherman (86 episodes, 1959-1963)
    Spring Byington ... Daisy Cooper (33 episodes, 1961-1963)
    Dennis Holmes ... Mike Williams (33 episodes, 1961-1963)
    Robert Crawford Jr. ... Andy Sherman (25 episodes, 1959-1961)
    Stuart Randall ... Mort Corey - Sheriff / ... (24 episodes, 1960-1963)
    Hoagy Carmichael ... Jonesy (23 episodes, 1959-1963)

and many more, including,
    Lee Van Cleef, Lloyd Nolan, Dan Duryea,Charles Bronson, Ernest Borgnine
    Henry Hull, and Charles Bronson
    and a few of Duke's'Pals'
    Denver Pyle, Harry Carey Jr.,Ben Johnson, Karl Swenson,
    Jack Elam

Series Directed
    Lesley Selander (21 episodes, 1959-1963)
    Joseph Kane (16 episodes, 1961-1963)

Series Produced by
    Daniel B. Ullman .... associate producer (1 episode, 1960)
    John C. Champion .... producer (unknown episodes)

Series Writing Credits
    John C. Champion (15 episodes, 1959-1963)
    Rod Peterson (12 episodes, 1960-1963)
    Daniel B. Ullman (10 episodes, 1960-1963)

Trivia

* Upon its switch to regular color broadcasts, this was one of the first series to inaugurate the new NBC Peacock logo of 1962- a kaleidoscope of concentric color circles with the text, "the following program is brought to you in living color..."

* The exterior sets of the old western town of Laramie in this series were not on the Warner Bros. back lot; they were filmed on the Universal Studios Western Street as Review studios was located at Universal International Studios. Warner Bros. Laramie Street was used in the "Lawman" TV Series and for many years after it was also used in countless Warner Bros. motion picture and television projects. since the end of the "Laramie" television series. It had also been continuously rented out for filming to several non-Warner Bros. productions such as "Little House on the Prairie" (1974), among others. Known throughout the studio as "Laramie Street," it consisted of three streets of old western buildings and it was the last of two separate western sets to remain standing on the Warner Bros. lot. Another western street, which existed in the central portion of the studio's back lot, was demolished in the mid-'80s. Laramie Street remained in existence until 2000, when it was demolished to make way for a collection of modern-day exterior set houses.

* The main musical theme, written by Cyril J. Mockridge, also was used as the main theme in the 1945 film, "Thunderhead~Son of Flicka".

Filming locations
    Corriganville, Ray Corrigan Ranch, Simi Valley, California, USA
    Red Rock Canyon State Park - Highway 14, Cantil, California, USA
    Thousand Oaks, California, USA

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 5 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Laramie is an American Western television series that aired on NBC from 1959 to 1963.
    A Revue Studios production, the program originally starred John Smith as Slim Sherman,
    Robert Fuller as Jess Harper, Hoagy Carmichael as Jonesy and Robert L. Crawford, Jr., as Andy Sherman.

Although Laramie, seems lesser known
    than some its illustrious friends like Gunsmoke,
    nevertheless, it was critically acclaimed
    in some circles, rated higher, than most of the others.
    Robert Fuller and John Smith, turned in good,
    solid, credible performances, and it was well scripted.

Unlike most TV westerns, this was one that was NOT filmed
    on WB western backlot, but over at Revue Studios,
    which was part of Universal.
    Indeed the set that was built, and Laramie Street,
    was used in countless westerns afterwards,
    and I believe is still standing.
    Other scenes were filmed, as many were,
    at Ray Corrigan's ranch

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• I always wondered what became of John Smith. He seemed to have a short run in the 50's and early 60's as a leading man type but, sort of disappeared of the screen after Laramie went off the air.

• Though I have heard of this series, i've never seen any episodes from it but would like to give the series a shot-no pun intended.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Ringo, don't feel bad, this was on during my high school years and for some reason I saw very few of these episodes either. All I can figure is they must have shown this opposite something I liked more.

Chester :newyear:

Heh heh, I just read the years that it was on and no wonder I never saw any episodes from it--I wasn't born for a few more years yet :wink_smile:

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I always wondered what became of John Smith. He seemed to have a short run in the 50's and early 60's as a leading man type but, sort of disappeared of the screen after Laramie went off the air.

After Laramie, Smith starred in the "The Rounders" 1966.
    He died n 1995 at the age of 63