RIP: War Veterans

There are 33 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 12,580 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Sounds great to me Keith--please title it how you feel best. I sometimes but rarely--get word on WWII Russian Vets and such.

OK Carl, as you see I have re-tiotled the thread.
    Should you wish another title please let me know.

Our members can feel free to post about our veterans,
    whichever country they have served

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Maybe, since we have "Pals of the Saddle," we could have a thread called "Barracks Buddies," or "Just Plain Joes," where we could share their stories and experiences, along with our admiration and honor for them.

Please forgive me if I'm out of line with this post, but it's so very dear to my heart.

Let me know, guys, if this is a possibility.

Please feel free to start a thread, as you suggested, "Barracks Buddies,"
    or "Just Plain Joes," It sounds a great idea..

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• OK...can we pay homage to our own WWII vets posthumously, if they're already gone?!

I would like to share (and honor) several who have already left us. They never got a newspaper article written about them...

Please post who you can post about? When I can? im going to snag all the ones I have in two threads from another site and post that info here and partly because I researched them and did a lot of long hours gathering what info I could. Wait till you see my reports on: Lt. Audie Leon Murphy, Colonel William Orlando Darby & Staff Sergeant Lafayette G. Pool.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• The "Missing" in Nam.

Ours still missing in Nam include: 1,971. Since the war's end, some 687 have been I.D's & repatrioted. 586 listed as no further pursuit and 700 still missing and being searched for.

Some 300,000 NVA are also still listed as missing.

An unknown number of men of the Army of the Republic of Vietnam are still missing.

PS, im listing the former enemy numbers only because it was a part of this little bit of info I found.

Edited 2 times, last by The Ringo Kid ().

• It might not be normal in my culture but I have great respect for all who fought for our countries in both world wars, what they faced is often so horrifying it's unimaginable, they were hero's in life and their colleagues in death.

Me, I grew up with Vets always coming over to the house early Sat and Sunday mornings and they would be with my Dad who was a WWII and Korean War vet. Most of my friends are vets, and ive met troopships loads of vets over the years. I use WiFi at Dairy Queen and every vet I see come in--I thank them for their service and shake their hands. Also, most fo the people I vote for--are Vets. Cant associate with a better crowd of folks ;-))

• I noticed that we missed noticing the recent passing of a true American hero - Command Sergeant Major Basil Plumley passed away on October 10, 2012. He enlisted in the U.S. Army in 1942, and served during WWII, Korea and Viet Nam. He was portrayed by Sam Elliott in the Mel Gibson film, "We Were Soldiers," which told the story of the Battle La Drang in 1965. I did notice that Carl has honored him by using Sgt. Maj. Plumley's photo as his avatar. Thank you Carl. CSM Plumley - we could use more like him to help keep the world a safer place.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• I noticed that we missed noticing the recent passing of a true American hero - Command Sergeant Major Basil Plumley passed away on October 10, 2012. He enlisted in the U.S. Army in 1942, and served during WWII, Korea and Viet Nam. He was portrayed by Sam Elliott in the Mel Gibson film, "We Were Soldiers," which told the story of the Battle La Drang in 1965. I did notice that Carl has honored him by using Sgt. Maj. Plumley's photo as his avatar. Thank you Carl. CSM Plumley - we could use more like him to help keep the world a safer place.

RIP Command Sergeant Major Basil Plumley .

This post was made in the 'General RIP' Thread,
    but moved it here to this now dedicated thread

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

Thank you bob, and great post. CSM Plumley could not be any less than one great person. I wish I could have had his address to send him a letter in the least. ;-)) Sergeant Major Davis--a Sarge I knew long ago--was also a WWII, Korean War and Vietnam War vet. He fought in WWII and in Nam but somehow--not in Korea--so he only had two awardings of the CIB. Anyway, Sgt. Major Davis was one of the coolest folks I ever got to meet and spend some time with.

MArine SSergeant Major MacCormack--was another and who was from my area--that I had the priviledge to meet and shake hands with as well as spend some time with. He was the last American soldier to surrender to the Japanese in Bataan. He only surrendered in 1943 sometime--because of poor health. I met him in Kingsville back around 11986? when he was giving a speech at the Connor Museum in Kingsville. He only lived a few more months after that time, but I credit Sgt. Major MacCormack as being the gent who made me feel as strongly about Vets as I do--though I always did have strong feelings for them to begin with. A few I really miss--as I do all of them--were neighbors of mine like: Archie Klassen--who was in the USN in WWII, Korea--was the neighbor across the alley from us, Captain Cole-who was an Infantry Captain in WWI--lived 2 blocks away from us, then there was Mr. Rose and Mr. Flowers (I always liked that ;-)) who lived a few houses down from us and lived across the street from each other, and a few others I met within the last 10 or so years that I also really miss are: Victoria Cross Recipient: Captain Richard Wallace Annand of the DLI, Remy Schrijnen--who was a Knights Cross Recipient, and there are many others.

• RIP Command Sergeant Major Basil Plumley .

This post was made in the 'General RIP' Thread,
    but moved it here to this now dedicated thread

I cant remember what thread it was? but I did post his passing here. I got word of it through someone on the US Militaria forums.

Just found it--its a thread here called: You All Will Want To Hear About This Loss As of 4am this day.