New Hanks/Spielberg HBO WW2 Series

There are 11 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,321 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Just read on Comcast news page that Tom Hanks and Stephen Spielberg will team up again as producers for a new World War 2 mini-series, this time about the Eighth Air Force. It'll be based on a book by Donald Miller, called, Masters Of The Air: Americas Bomber Boys Who Fought The Air War Against Nazi Germany. It didn't say when they plan to begin filming.

• Just read on Comcast news page that Tom Hanks and Stephen Spielberg will team up again as producers for a new World War 2 mini-series, this time about the Eighth Air Force. It'll be based on a book by Donald Miller, called, Masters Of The Air: Americas Bomber Boys Who Fought The Air War Against Nazi Germany. It didn't say when they plan to begin filming.

Sounds great to me even though tom hanks is lower than pond scum these days.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I strongly suggest you see it. I dont know who gave you that description of the series, but they couldn't have been MORE wrong.

The history was right on target, and the action was very intense, and quite honestly, at times almost TOO intense.

The script follows the journals/books of several Marines that are featured, along with several interviews of these guys in their 80's.

I know you have an issue with Tom Hanks, but don't let rob you of watching this series. I've researched the war in the Pacific Theatre for years, as my dad was in the Navy from '44-'46, and he saw enough action to last five lifetimes, and this is too good to miss.

• Carl, as The Tennessean said, the story features the exploits of three Marines, John Basilone, who won the Medal Of Honor on Guadalcanal and was later killed on Iwo Jima, Eugene Sledge, who wrote the book, With The Old Breed: At Pelilu and Okinawa, and Robert Leckie, who wrote the book, Helmet For My Pillow.

• The guys at the usmilitaria.com forums are the ones that have been giving not very good opinions on the series and hands down--Band of Brothers wins every time.

Those guys are like me--being collectors of mil stuff--and we do get a bit irritated at times when the wrong stuff is used--things like that ;-))

The issue I have with tom hanks stems from the FACT--that he trashed the U.S> Marines-as well as made his opinion well known that we seem to have committed more atrocities than the Japs did. Some """"factual history"""" displayed there. :rolleyes:

Ill still watch it someitme since I like war stuff--but I doubt ill ever spend the money to own the series.

However, two im looking forward to seeing and possibly owning when released-are the brand new History Channel series about the Bible as well as about the Vikings.

• Carl, as The Tennessean said, the story features the exploits of three Marines, John Basilone, who won the Medal Of Honor on Guadalcanal and was later killed on Iwo Jima, Eugene Sledge, who wrote the book, With The Old Breed: At Pelilu and Okinawa, and Robert Leckie, who wrote the book, Helmet For My Pillow.

Thanks Jim, and im greatly familiar with "Manila John" and his deeds at the Canal. It was mistakenly rumored that he did his deeds at the Canal as a way trying to commit suicide. Luckily--and well deserved--he was awarded with the Medal of Honor for his actions there. Also, he felt he was neglecting his duty after getting the MoH and was why he insisted going back into combat. Manila John is one of my favorite of all Marines from WWII ;-)) I even used his nick name on another site: pacificwar.com--as my username. Im familiar with Sledge and Leckie and read something about them a number of years ago. If I see this series? be prepared to hear praise or gripings as well as corrections ;-))

• The John Basilone segments are especially powerful, considering the events of his life/career.

He was a (reluctant) hero of the highest order, like Sledge and Leckie.

It's a must for those of us who appreciate the sacrifices made by our parents during that dark time.

For (their) sake, I HOPE they did Manila John justice--especially when he was on the Canal. If I find somehting not correct? I WILL be sending a not so friendly of a letter to tom hanks in particular--and I do have access to an address of his.

• Could not improve on the above posts, but wish to heartily re-enforce the opinions put forth. Just gripping storytelling.

We deal in lead, friend.

Thanks Bill, ill take all of yalls words on this being a good series, after all, not one of ya have steered me wrong ;-))