Other Movies

There are 12 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,361 times. The latest Post () was by SXViper.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Also to be made available on DVD and eventually cable will be five Batjac productions in which John Wayne did not appear: "Plunder of the Sun" (1953), "Ring of Fear" (1954), "Man in the Vault" (1956), "Seven Men From Now" (1956) and one that has been available on VHS, "Track of the Cat" (1954).

This was a quote from the article that Baron put on the general board about the release of a couple Duke movies next year(The High and the Mighty, Island in the Sky, and Hondo). What I am wondering is, are these movies any good? I know nothing about them and am looking for some info about them. Thanks.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

Originally posted by SXViper@Nov 1 2004, 01:14 PM

This was a quote from the article that Baron put on the general board about the release of a couple Duke movies next year(The High and the Mighty, Island in the Sky, and Hondo). What I am wondering is, are these movies any good? I know nothing about them and am looking for some info about them. Thanks.

[snapback]12221[/snapback]

[/b]

The "High and the Mighty" and "Hondo" aren't bad, though certainly not up to "Rio Bravo" and several others. I wasn't impressed with "Island in the Sky".

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Hehe, I guess I should have been more specific. I meant the non Duke films. Are these any good?

"Plunder of the Sun" (1953), "Ring of Fear" (1954), "Man in the Vault" (1956), "Seven Men From Now" (1956) and one that has been available on VHS, "Track of the Cat" (1954).

Sorry about that Stumpy.

-John Wayne

• :cowboy: I can't help with an opinion on High and the Mighty or Island In the Sky but, Hondo--I absolutely loved this movie.

John Wayne never looked better to me than in this movie. Having Ward Bond, Paul Fix and James Arness in the movie certainly did not hurt it.

Paul Fix was the Cavalry commanding officer, Ward Bond (Buffalo) and James Arness were Army scouts. Ward Bond really looked the part as well as James Arness.

The movie starts off showing a woman and her child on their ranch, when the mother notices a stanger (Hondo Lane) and his dog (Dog) approaching. After introducing himself, he proceeds to help do several needed chores there and he is invited to stay the night.

Mrs Lowe finds out that the man in her house is a famous gunfighter (Hondo) but after awhile all misunderstandings were corrected and she warms up a bit to Hondo.

Hondo borrows a horse and some supplies from her so he can report back to post. When he reached the post, he makes his report and has his first run-in with Ed Lowe (Husband of the lady he just left) Lowe was being chased from the CO's tent and was going to try to get Hondos dog (Dog) to move out of the way. The dog growled and Lowe reaches for his pistol and you see Hondo cock his Winchester and says: "I wouldn't do that" and Lowe says move your cur, and Hondo then says: "Walk around him" Well, Lowe eventually "gets the point" and walks around the dog. The cur is still in the way and Hondo tells it to: "Quit blocking the door" as he makes a motion to almost kick the dog with his boot.

(((One of my favorite scenes in the movie is where at the Saloon, Hondo, Ed Lowe and a few others are engaged in a poker game. Buffalo comes up and starts conversing with Hondo and another player. Hondo tries to get out of the game but Ed Lowe would have nothing to do with it and grabs Hondos red shirt.

Hondo then says: "These shirts are hard to come by" and precedes to punch Lowe and then turns and punches Buffalo. Buffalo said: "What'd you do that for?" and Hondo said: "Because I know you" and while this distraction goes on, Lowe attempts at making a grab for his pistol when Buffalo draws his pistol and says: "Leather it."

Hondo and Buffalo went outside where he gets ready to leave when the Cavalry Sergeant and Ed Lowe approach. Lowe was telling the Sergeant that Hondo had stolen his horse to which Hondo admits he was loaned the horse and was on his way back to give it back. Hondo walks away and leaves and Lowe tells the Sergeant to stop him and that Hondo is a liar. The Sergeant says: "I'm not about to call Hondo a liar, to his face or to his back."

The Apaches visit the Lane ranch where Vittorio (their Chief) says that the mother needs a husband and the boy a father. He also mentions that he will be back in time for the planting rains and that if her husband is not back by then, that she will have to take an Apache for a husband.

Unknownst to Hondo, he is being followed by Lowe and a hired gun. Hondo is sitting at a creek when the dog growls. Lowes gunman is killed by an Indian and Hondo shoots another Indian. Lowe was attacked and knocked to the ground by another Indian and is about to die when Hondo shoots the Indian. Lowe feigns being appreciative and then is trying to reach for his pistol when the dog growls warning Hondo who then whirls about and shoots Lowe with his Winchester before Lowe can get a shot off.

In the dirt Hondo finds a tin type that shows someone he recognizes as the boy and mother, who were at the ranch he had previously left. He also figures out that Ed Lowe was her husband and the boys father.

After this, Hondo gets captured by Apache Indians and is tied to an ant hill. Next he is tortured with hot coals placed in his bare hands. Vittorio then sees the tin type showing the little boy (who needed a father) from that ranch. He kicks the burning coals from Hondos hands and cuts him free. Hondo then has to fight another Apache Indian who had a "Blood right" meaning that he was to fight Hondo to the death because he claims that Hondo killed his brother.

Chief Vittorio then gets a scarf and wraps Hondos burnt hand so he can use it for the coming knife fight. The Indian and Hondo are placed amongst the Indians and each makes a grab for a knife to fight with. Hondo and the Indian start fighting and soon Hondo gets stabbed in his chest after the Indian threw dirt into his eyes. Hondo manages to overcome the Indian and holds his knife at the Indians throat saying that he will either die or can end this blood feud. He then passes out from loss of blood.

The Apaches in the rain, then visit the Lowe ranch and drop of the wounded Hondo at Mrs Lowes feet. She is asked by Vittorio if he (Hondo) is her man, and she lies and says yes he is. Vittorio then says as long as he lives, they will not be bothered by other Apaches. Mrs Lowe and Johnny (the boy) help Hondo into the house and they hear a yelp and go to the door. They see one of Vittorios warriors sitting on his horse just after killing Hondos dog with his lance and then he turns and leaves.

Mrs Lowe then helps Hondo get better. At some point in time, a column of Cavalry make it to the Lowe ranch where they have a few wagons with civilians with them. Their mission was to get all the settlers out of the valley and get them to the fort. Well, they are commanded by a very young Lieutenant who is seriously wounded. Hondo learns that Vittorio was killed during the Indians last charge.

When Hondo and Buffalo go to the workshed, they talk and Hondo tells of having been forced into killing Lowe when he is overheard by the James Arness character. He asks Hondo who does he not like talking with him and Hondo says: Because I don't Like You."

Well, Hondo later send the Arness character with some men to gather any other settlers up and bring them to the ranch. After patching up the wounded and gathering all about them, they set off for the fort. They are soon joined by the other group of settlers.

While passing in a valley, the Apaches spring an attack in which the wagon train gets encircled and they fight off a wave of Indians. When the Indians least expect it, the wagon train makes a run for it for a ways, and then stops to circle the wagons and they again are fighting the Apaches.

They then make another dash and are chased by the Indians when Hondo stops to attempt to help out a wagon that lost its wheel. He is soon attacked by a few Indians. While busy fighting them an unseen Indian is about to get Hondo when he is felled by a bullet from his own Winchester rifle, by the man he dislikes.

In the meantime, the newest Chief is killed and the Apaches break off the fight. Hondo and everybody make ready to leave. Buffalo tells Hondo that (the James Arness character) saved his (Hondo's) life by shooting that Indian about to get Hondo. Hondo then says that the rifle is his to keep.

:cowboy: TRK.

I might have skipped some details of the movie but, this is the gist of it.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Seriously guys, I want to know about these movies:

"Plunder of the Sun" (1953), "Ring of Fear" (1954), "Man in the Vault" (1956), "Seven Men From Now" (1956) and "Track of the Cat" (1954).

I know all about Hondo and have heard about THATM and Island in the Sky. I have seen Hondo and read the book. What I want to know about are the NON Duke movies that Batjac is planning on releasing next year. Can anybody give me a idea on how good these movies are? Again the movies I want to know about are:

"Plunder of the Sun" (1953), "Ring of Fear" (1954), "Man in the Vault" (1956), "Seven Men From Now" (1956) "Track of the Cat" (1954).

Thank you.

-John Wayne

• Hi SXViper

Not sure about Plunder in the Sun on checking I was getting mixed up with a Jeff Chandler film about the Basques.

But Seven Men From Now is considered to be one of Randolph Scotts best films made in collaboration with Budd Boetticher. I think he went through a period of what can best be described as 'revenge films' which were popular at the time (1953) they didn't actually show women being murdered or mention rape at that time but were heavy on insuation.

I think it has been described on this board before as a must see.

The cast speaks for itself apart from Scott Lee Marvin, Gail Russell, Stuart Whitman and two or three members of John Wayne's stock company. If you put up the film on IMDB it gives a viewpoint of someone who saw the picture and met the director afterwards.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Don't know about the others, Viper, but I saw "Track of the Cat" when it was originally released in theaters and it was a pretty good movie.

• Thanks Arthur and Stumpy. Thats what I was looking for. I seem to remember discussing "Seve Men From Now" on this board now that you mentioned the cast. I will definately look into getting that one.

Stumpy, what is "Track of the Cat" about?

Thanks.

-John Wayne

• I found a link with a review for the movie "Seven Men From Now" and it has this quote:

Another factor that worked in the film's favor was that Scott was a closeted homosexual. In appearing to be pining for his dead wife (who we never see), he can logically resist the advances of the female lead.

I had never heard this about Randolph Scott. Was he really a homosexual? Seems kind of odd that I had never heard it before. Here is the link to the review of the film.

-John Wayne

• I've read the book "What ever happend to Randolph Scott", which is a loving tribute written by his son, and you won't find anything like that in his family life. I guess the comment is meant for Scott's character in the film. That's hard to say because most of us haven't seen the film yet considering how long it has been stored away. But if you look at the other Boetticher/Scott movies, like Comance Station or The Tall T or Buchanan Rides Alone, there certainly was something there like a special male bond. There usually was a strong attraction between the hero of the piece and the heavy.

• Hi SXVioper and Roland

Apparently when Cary Grant moved to Hollywood he shared a house with Randolph Scott and the pair became inseperarable. There were very strong rumours of a relationship between the two men, and on the studio orders Scott or Grant had to move out of the house.

Larry Adler shortly before he died related how in his early days in Hollywood he had attended a party where Scott and Grant were dressed only in skimpy bathing trunks and were all over each other giggling like schoolgirls.

There were also rumours at the time about David Niven and Errol Flynn who also shared a house. Perhaps two men living together in Hollywood for whatever reason wasn't done.

Of course saying these things about stars after both had died is easy, I ask would they have been so keen or forward enough to cast the first stone while both men were alive.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Viper,
    I cannot remember the exact plot line to "Track of the Cat" because it's been almost 50 years since I saw it. (Not only that but just between you and me, I was about 4 sheets to the wind when I saw it in San Diego as a young sailor). But I seem to recall that it involved a black panther on a rampage during wintertime (lots of snow) and Bob Mitchum trying to track and kill it before it killed again.

• Couple new releases in the states. Release date is Nov. 9th. The 2 movies are "Arrowhead"(1953) with Charleton Heston . And "Last Train From Gun Hill"(1959) with Kirk Douglas and Anthony Quinn. I don't believe I have seen Arrowhead before but I have seen Last Train from Gun Hill and enjoyed it.

-John Wayne