When Cowboys Were King

There is 1 reply in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,246 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• While I was down in Abilene, one of the things I picked up was a video tape, When Cowboys Were King. It was apparently originally aired on the History Channel, and here's a description -

There was a time when a trip to the movies was an event, when the double feature was a staple of every kid's Saturday, when popcorn cost a nickel and the flickering lights of the movie palaces conjured up celluloid dreams. The heroes wore white hats, the villains black, the saloon doors were always swinging and the showdowns took place at high noon.

WHEN COWBOYS WERE KING saddles up for a nostalgic ride through movie history, reliving and reveling in the glory days of the Western. With the help of cinema buffs, famous critics and a parade of stars, we'll follow the once-dominant genre from the days of the Thomas Edison Studios to Tom Mix, Hoot Gibson, Gene Autry and the Singing Cowboys. Crammed with clips, it's a film-buff's dream and a captivating introduction to a vanished era of moviemaking.

We really enjoyed it! It was an excellent historical look at the genre of Western movies, from their earliest days in the early 1900s. There was a small section about John Wayne, which was well done.

I bought the tape because Cheryl Rogers-Barnett (Roy Roger's daughter) was one of the people included (and because she sold it to me :D !). I also bought another video, The Singing Cowboys (Volumes 1 and 2, on one tape), which we'll tell you about after we have watched it.

When Cowboys Were King is available online at History Channel - Search results for When Cowboys Were King.

I highly recommend it!

Chester :newyear:

• :cowboy: Thank you for the Heads-up on this documentary. There was one done about 10 years ago which was on Western movies but with a heavy leanings of also being on Gene Autry. This one was hosted by Johnny Cash and also had several guests on it like Gene Autry, Richard Farnsworth etc.

This is an excellent documentary and was made I think by the American Movie Classics Channel. I have 2-3 others on tape that are documentaries of John Wayne and his westerns. I think I will try to dig them up out of my collection sometime and re-watch them.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..