What Is Your Favorite Non John Wayne

There are 110 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 28,305 times. The latest Post () was by Senta.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I would have to go with Quigley Down Under, Rare Breed, Cheyenne Social Club. There are to many others to list. I really like just about any western with Tom Selleck. I think he is just about one of the best western/cowboy actors around today.

Baby Sis

:cowboy::cowboy::cowboy:

"Give me a man like Duke Wayne"...Marueen O'Hara

• Hi Viper, Baby Sis,

Viper, on The Big Red One.

The original version is 43 minutes shorter. One thing about this new release is that the German Sergeant, Sergeant Schroeder, gets more screen time and you get to see that he really is a cold-blooded killer. In the original version, you basically only see him when they are in North Africa as part of Rommel's Afrika Korps. You hear a song playing on a phonograph and see Schroeder eating some food as he is approaching some of his men. One of the resting soldiers who is named Gert, winds up getting shot by Schroeder when he says that he is not going to be choking on Panzer fumes and dust and that he is no nazi fanatic like Schroeder was. Next time you see Schroeder is when the Germans are attacking the Kasserine Pass. The Ami Sgts men run away and this is where the Sgt gets shot by another German after he kills a German. That German who shot him was also Schroeder.

The next time you see Schroeder (in the original version) is when the American Sergeant's (Lee Marvin) squad is at a WWI big red one memorial and the sgt sends Kaiser to scout ahead at the large cross on that hill. This happened to be the area where the Sgt fought in WWI and was also where a horse smashed his rifle. Schroeder is seen (before the G.I's arrive) placing his men in and around the destroyed panzer and Schroeder climbs up and hides behind the large cross. Well as you know his men make a mistake which gets them all killed instead of the Americans. After the Frenchwoman's baby is born inside the knocked out Panzer, you see Schroeder running away.

Still in the original version)) the last time you see Schroeder is when WWII ended and he tries to surrender to the Ami Sgt at the end of the movie but the Sgt stabs him and leaves him for dead (not knowing that the Armistice had been signed and the war had been over for four hours (just like what had happened to him in WWI when he killed a surrendering German soldier.)

In the reconstructed version, Sergeant Schroeder is seen a few more times in non combat scenes. For instance, after the Americans had liberated an Sicilian or Italian village where Vinci's Grandmother still lived (though in the original version you do not see his Grandmother) and this is also where they are celebrating with the civilians and eating a spaghetti dinner. Well, as they leave, the Ami Sgt is looking for his helmet and a little village girl brings it to him with flowers stuck in his helmet net. Zab says: "The Kraut's are going to spot that garden a mile away" and the Sgt says: "I like the smell."

They leave the village and the little girl come shouting and running to the Sgt and indicated that he did not kiss her or say goodbye. While this is going on, you see Schroeder with some men who are about to ambush the GI's and Schroeder says something like: "Stupid American wearing flowers in his helmet" and he fires at the Ami Sgt but kills the girl instead.

More added scenes is when Schroeder is placing explosives in a German Countess's Castle and he winds up killing her later on after she admitted she hated Hitler.

At the end of the movie, and schroeder's 2nd to last appearance shows him resting and a leaflet comes floating near him, he picks it up and reads it which says: The war was over. You see him lay down his MP-40, takes off his cartridge belt and stuff, and he walks away. Next you see him saying in German: "Der Krieg ist vorbai (SP?) meaning that The War Was Over.

Well, the Ami Sgt was listening to that music box when he hears the German approaching him. The Sgt leaps up and stabs the surrendering Sgt Schroeder. After one of the G.I's finds that the "dead" Schroeder is still alive and they tend to him. The very last scene shows the Ami Sgt carrying Schroeder across his shoulders.

There are just so many added things in this version, it would take me all day to type it in. Believe me, this version is worth buying. I might buy another copy but of the original version just to have. :)

Baby Sis, I also liked Quigley Down Under very much. I think Tom Selleck makes a great Western actor and I also like his "Sacketts" movies.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Thanks for the run down Ringo. I like the orginal theatrical release so I guess it would make sense to get the extended cut.

Baby Sis, I too enjoyed Quigley Down Under, and would highly recommend it to any western fan.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hi All -
    I mentioned earlier on this topic that one of my favorite non-John Wayne westerns was "The Professionals." Well, I happened to pick up the widescreen DVD this weekend, and, boy, how great it is! The photography is magnificent and there is a little added feature not promoted which is the translation in subtitles of the Spanish spoken in the movie. And, of course, a great western that hasn't become outdated at all!
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• The only western-anything that I will watch occasionally is Gunsmoke, the t.v. show. I've only seen a few episodes of it though. For some reason I never feel like watching western movies other than John Wayne ones!

• Hi Bonnie, I like watching Gunsmoke as well but, they only play the last few seasons of it in which you do not see much of Matt Dillon but see more of Festus.

I never have seen any of the first 10 or so season's and would love to see them. Wasn't Burt Reynolds in the series as a half-breed Indian? or something like that?

• Ringo....Bonnie
    I also am a Gunsmoke fan. . My best Gunsmoke memory is when I was a little girl my parents would get together with another couple (his name was Bob) on Saturday nights to play cards. Well just before it would be time for Gunsmoke to come on TV Bob would put on his gunbelt, stand in front of the television and every week during the opening sequence he would try to out draw Matt Dillon. :lol: :lol: I remember I thought this was so funny then and I think it is funnier now.

Do you have Encore Westerns channel? They run the early seasons of Gunsmoke. They run 2 shows everynight back to back. The black and whites...they have Chester, and Quint (Burt Reynolds). Quint was a half breed and was the blacksmith. These have Festus in them once in awhile but these are where you meet Festus when he first comes to town and learn more about his background which ties in to the story lines later in the series when he becomes Matt Dillons deputy.

On the weedend around Aug. 26th. they are running 50 hours of Gunsmoke in celebration of the 50th anniversary of the series.

Baby Sis

:cowboy::cowboy::cowboy:

"Give me a man like Duke Wayne"...Marueen O'Hara

Originally posted by Baby Sister@Aug 8 2005, 04:04 PM
    Do you have Encore Westerns channel? They run the early seasons of Gunsmoke. They run 2 shows everynight back to back.

[snapback]20112[/snapback]

That's cool. No, I don't have that channel. TVLand is where I watch it, if it's the only good thing on.

• Hello Ladies.

Baby Sis, Ha ha, that's like me when I was younger. I used to put on my Cowboy gunbelt with cap firing guns, and I would wear my buckskin shirt and cowboy hat. The show always came on at 6 PM on CBS and my dad and I always watched it. Even my earliest memories of the show I only remember seeing color episodes, but I still liked the show.

We don't have Encore here either but I see ad's from them advertising their channel(s) I wish we had them as well as PLEX.

Originally posted by Baby Sister@Aug 8 2005, 06:04 PM
    Do you have Encore Westerns channel? They run the early seasons of Gunsmoke. They run 2 shows everynight back to back.

[snapback]20112[/snapback]

Back under the topic "Most Favorite TV Westerns," I think it was Stumpy that provided information on some of the "Gunsmoke" scheduling. "Gunsmoke" in its initial run was a half-hour program. These have somehow fallen into a "black hole" (I seem to have several of these around the house where various items seem to disappear) - I don't know that any of these shorter episodes are being aired at all anywhere. I do enjoy catching the back-to-back hour-long episodes on the Encore Western Channel - brings back a lot of nostalgia.
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Favorite Non-John Wayne westerns:
    Tombstone
    Monte Walsh (with Tom Selleck)
    You Know My Name (kind of a western)
    Crossfire Trail
    Open Range
    Silverado
    The Sacketts

Favorite TV Westerns:
    Cheyenne (my favorite when I was growing up)
    Gunsmoke
    Wyatt Earp
    The Lazarus Man
    The Lone Ranger
    Judge Roy Bean

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• Hi Senta, Errol Flynn is a favorite of mine as well. Also, when you get the chance, watch him in Dodge City--that is another great film of his. I think Alan Hale Sr and Gwinn "Big Boy" Williams are both in that excellent Western as well.

Senta, by the way, welcome to the Duke Wayne forums. Best regards Ringo Kid aka Carl.

Originally posted by The Ringo Kid@Aug 21 2005, 12:31 AM
    Hi Senta, Errol Flynn is a favorite of mine as well. Also, when you get the chance, watch him in Dodge City--that is another great film of his. I think Alan Hale Sr and Gwinn "Big Boy" Williams are both in that excellent Western as well.

Senta, by the way, welcome to the Duke Wayne forums. Best regards Ringo Kid aka Carl.

[snapback]20634[/snapback]

Hi Ringo,
    Thanks for welcome. I saw Dodge City and all others Flynn westerns (they are 7 if I'm not mistaken) and I like it and Alan Hale with Gwinn Big Boy, who played also with Flynn in Santa Fe Trail and Virdginia City, but my opinion is that They died with thir boots is something special amoung Flynn movies. By the way he himself thought that he is miscasting in westerns.
    Regards,
    Vera

• Hi Senta, I agree with you. I too am a big fan of They Died With Their Boots On and it was the first Western I saw Errol Flynn in. Also, because of that movie, I fell in love with Olivia de Havilland as she was and still is, a very beautiful woman. It's a shame that she never got married to Errol Flynn.

As far as Flynn movies go, I liked most of them but these are my top 5 favorites:

1) Dawn Patrol.
    2) They Died With Their Boots On.
    3) Sea Hawk.
    4) The Adventures Of Robin Hood.
    5) Desperate Journey.

:)

• No offense, but I never thought Errol Flynn should have made westerns. Not that they weren't good, they were. But I've always liked him better in his swashbuckler films. I think his Robin Hood is the definitive Robin Hood, but I also like him in Against All Flags, and Captain Blood - two of my favorite Flynn films.
    Colorado Bob

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• Hi Carl(Where have you been?) Bob and Vera,
    it's funny, We've had this chat before, on another thread,
    but I really liked Errol Flynn.
    He made the laugh with his devilish ways!
    Of course he wasn't a real cowpoke like Duke,
    but he made a two or three decent westerns.
    BOOTS, DODGE CITY, and VIRGINIA CITY.

Best Wishes,
    Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I think my favorite Flynn films are
    They died with their boots on
    Sea Hawk
    Captain Blood
    Uncertain Glory
    Objective Burma
    Gentleman Jim

I saw all films that you mentioned and like them too. Expecially I was impressed by Dawn Patrol when I saw it for the first time. Desperate Journey is very nice war film with Reagan (we have in Russia same kind of war films, that were done during the war, I like them) and Walsh is one of my favorite directors, after Ford of course.
    Regards,
    Vera