I Was Reading About Some Food John Wayne

There are 9 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,023 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• :cowboy: does anyone know if he liked Fried Chicken or Chicken Fried Steak?

I'm just wondering because being a Southerner, I was weaned on that stuff.

If he did not like CFS, besides Mexican food--what else did he like?

Best regards--TRK.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• :cowboy: Hello Mr. Brooks.

Thanks for that. Well, i'm am glad he liked what we eat here almost daily. I bet he would have loved eating at places like The Red Barn & Fudruckers in San Antonio and Cracker Barrel.

Making me hungry just thinking of those two great eateries. TRK.

• Do you have a restaurant anywhere near you called The Machine Shed? It's a chain, but they make really good homestyle/farm cooking type of meals - like chicken fried steak, meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy, turkey with stuffing - stuff like that. They serve cottage cheese as a side dish with all of their meals and I think it must be made with whole milk or heavy cream or something - so yummy.

I think they originated in Iowa, so they might still only be up here in the North, but if you ever get one down there, give it a try.

• The very best chicken-fried steak I ever ate was at a place called the Jailhouse Cafe in San Antonio. It's located in a very unprepossessing part of town (about 2 blocks from the city/county jail, and "on the wrong side of the tracks", but apparently it's an institution because the walls are covered with pictures of the owner and various celebrities and big-name politicians.

The menu offers a "Deputy Special" and a "Sheriff's Special". Don't ever order the "Sheriff's Special" unless you're absolutely famished because that sucker is about 18 inches in diameter, with a huge order of french-fries and some of the best cream gravy I've ever tasted. Damn, makes me hungry just thinking about it. :lol:

Another good restaurant in S.A. is La Posada del Rey for Mexican food. They make chicken enchiladas to die for. The best steaks I ever ate were at The Barn Door, which is on New Braunfels about 6 or 8 blocks south of Loop 410.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• :cowboy: Hello Jen/Stumpy.

Jen, I never heard of The Machine Shed but it sounds like they sell the same type of dishes that The Cracker Barrel (another chain) does. Cracker Barrel's food is home or farm style cooking. Their Chicken Fried steaks are good but, I found a local place whos CFS is better than theirs is. They have a great Meatloaf dinner, as well as their Chicken and Dumplings dinner. Those are all I have tried in eating there for over 10 years now. One item that they have never been bested on is their Sweetened Iced Tea. I absolutely love their iced tea. Oh I almost forgot that their Biscuits are to die for--especially if you put strawberry or grape jelly on them that is from Knott's Berry Farm. Now I wished that I had not had a Cheeseburger for lunch before coming here. :)

We also had a new restaurant open recently which is called: Fuddruckers. I ate there once in San Antonio and loved it. I will definitely give The Machine Shed a try if they ever venture down this way. I'm always open to a new taste in the thinks I regularly eat.

Stumpy, next time I am in San Antonio, I will give the Jailhouse Cafe a try. It sounds like a Mom n Pop type of place and I love those kind of places. The Sheriff's Special sounds like the normal CFS you get at The Red Barn. I don't recall if Red Barn gives you a choice on size of steak or not but, like Jailhouse Cafe--you better come famished or you aint going to finish that meal. Last time I was there (a few years ago now) for about $5-$6 bucks, you got a CFS that over-lapped the edges of the plate, French Fries that covered about 1/2 the CFS, a huge roll, a salad and the standard glass of tea (or whatever you wanted to drink) was in a 50 oz ++ glass. Even in my best eating days, I could pack away the CFS, the roll and some of the fries and salad, but not these days.

I do love Mexican food and will try La Posada Del Rey when next in Rome as well. We have nothing to compare with San Antonio in the way of great Mexican food. We also do not have a single German establishment either. I have been to The Barn Door, and remember it was a pretty good place. We ate there after my Uncles Funeral back in 2001. I think I had a London Broil kind of steak--which was great.

Oh and if you ever have the chance--eat at a great place called: In Old San Francisco. This place is a bit expensive but, it's also because you get live entertainment in the way of Magic, Piano, and Acrobats. Finally in San Antonio, you have to try The Magic Hour Glass.

If ever it Houston, you MUST try Dirty's. It's like the Red Barn in the size of servings, price and such but, you also get to put some graffiti on the walls and table (which is tradition there) Another great place in Houston is, The Mason Jar. A bit expensive but is great as well.

Last but not least, you MUST try Mamacita's in Houston for great Mexican food.

If ever down Corpus Christi way, must tries are: U & I restaurant, Longhorn Steak and Ale, Bennigan's, Outback Steakhouse, The Cracker Barrel (of course) and Walbangers (which serves other things like steaks and such but is more famous for their stuffed Burgers.

• Hi Stumpy and Ringo -

The Jailhouse Cafe changed hands a couple of years ago and moved its location. I have'nt been to the new place as yet, but understand the food is still good, just not quite up to the old standards. The Barn Door has recently remodeled, but the food is still just as delicious. They opened a new location on the northwest side of San Antonio as well.

TRK - If you are referring to the Little Red Barn Steakhouse, that is just a couple of blocks up Hackberry St. from where I work. It's still busy, busy, busy. And still good food served by cowgirls with guns on their hips. Fuddruckers is still around too at several locations around San Antonio.

Cheers -

Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• :cowboy: Hi Jay, that's the place. Before my Father married my Mother, and when he was still in the Air Force, every Friday or Saturday evening, they would start off their date eating there. They used to live not far from there after getting married. I was introduced to the place in the 1980's and love it.

That is also good new about the VERY pretty Cowgirl's still serving the meals. Last time I was there, all of them were blond-haired and blue-eyed and VERY pretty. The wait staff at Dirty's is like that as well.

I also used to know a gal living on Hackberry St. but thqat was about 20 years ago.

Do you ever go to the Hemisphere Restaurant? Last time I went, just to get in you had to pay $9.00. Anyway, the scenery is fantastic and I always liked looking for the Alamo from there.

I am definately going to HAVE to give our Fuddruckers a try very soon.

Best regards--TRK.

• Ah, yes - the Tower of the Americas Restaurant. I've been up there a number of times over the years, but not recently. The view is fantastic, but the food, I think, was overrated.
    Actually, the city council, in its vast wisdom?!, awarded the whole tower complex to a concessionaire out of Houston. They are supposed to close down the whole operation for nine months to remodel and add new bells and whistles to the whole thing.
    Don't know if the Duke would have been greatly enthused with the menu offerings. Certainly no chili or chicken fried steak to be had!

Cheers -

Jay ^^

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• :cowboy: Hi Jay, yep I was up there a few times as well. Mainly I just liked sitting in the revolving restaurant and drinking Roy Rogers. Thanks for it's real name though, I could not think of it to save my life if I had to. :)

The only food I ever ate there was a Chef Salad which really was not as good as it sounded but was filling. I don't remember what I paid for it though but do remember it was more than I thought salad was worth. As for the Roy Rogers, I did down a few of those though. (Non-Hic)

Best regards-TRK.