There are 997 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 236,412 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

17 years ago the actress Olive Carey died. Her maiden name was Olive Fuller Golden and she was the wife of Harry Carey and mother of Harry Carey jnr.
    She appeared in many of John Ford's pictures including The Searchers, The Wings of Eagles and for John Wayne, as Mrs Dennison in The Alamo.

That is very interesting, she out lived Duke. How old was she when she died?

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hi

On this day (March 14th)

It was a day of mourning

30 years ago The director John H Auer died aged 69 he directed A Man Betrayed. However he probably died un-noticed and un-mourned by the public at large because:-

30 years ago The actress Susan Hayward died aged 57, a fiesty fiery red headed actress the ultimate professional who fought for every part and didn't suffer fools. it was said that during the filming of The Conqueror she challenged Pilar Wayne to a fight with the winner getting John Wayne. Pilar refused, It might have been an interesting match particularly as Pilar probably had a latin temperment to go with her stunning Latin looks.

19 years ago the actress Edith Atwater died she played Mrs Floyd in True Grit

48 years ago the actor Robert E Burns died. Not as well known as some nevertheless he was a part of that magic number of veterans who performed in hundreds of Monogram and Republic B westerns. e appeared in this catagory in Sagebrush Trail and The Lonely Trail.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day (15th March)

70 years ago Rainbow Valley was released in the United States.

37 years ago CBS aired McLintock for the first time to a 43% audience.

27 years ago John Wane attended the AFI Achievement Award tribute to Henry Fonda.

21 years ago John Wayne was the subject of the People's Choice Awards.

14 years ago the director George Sherman died. He directed John Wayne's Three Mesquiteers western series and later came out of retirement to direct Big Jake.

32 years ago H.W. Gim died aged 65 after an uncredited role in The Conqueror he played Chan Lee in True Grit.

86 Years ago the actor John Gregson was born possibly little known in the States one of his most famous films was the comedy Genevieve and he also played the padre in The Longest Day.

Regards

Arthur.

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day (16th March)

34 years ago John Wayne attended the Grammy Awards

44 years ago the Director Seymour Felix died aged 69. He was responsible for directing what John Wayne called the silliest film he ever appeared in namely Girls Demand Excitement, possibly the only good thing that came out of the film was that Wayne met and befriended Paul Fix an actor who was to have a great influence on Wayne's career.

17 years ago the actress Dorothy Adams died aged 88 she played Elvy Royal in the Shepherd of the Hills. During her career she played so many put upon women that she was known as the Human Wailing Wall.

94 years ago the actress Marion Byron was born. By an amazing co-incidence she played a leading role in the silliest picture Wayne ever appeared in yes you guessed it.

36 years ago the actress June Collyer died age 61. She appeared as connought O'Brien in Wayne's first noticeable film for John Ford Hangman's House.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day (St Patricks Day 17th March)

15 years ago The actress Capucine committed suicide by jumping from the top floor of her Swiss apartment. She starred with Wayne in North to Alaska.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• I never knew she committed suicide - nor that she did it in Switzerland! Do you have more specifics about that place, Arthur? I thought Capucine was perfectly cast in Alaska and enjoyed seeing her in European productions as well.

• Hi Roland

Enclosed My pen picture of Capucine. I agree with you she was a gorgeous looking woman probably badly used by the system. I think she was vastly under rated.

CAPUCINE 1931-1990
    (Germaine Lefebvre)
    b. January 6 (Toulon France) d. March 17
    An attractive French actress and a former leading Parisian model her career was relatively brief, and her end, tragic. After leaving school during which time she had achieved a BA in foreign languages, her parents had wanted her to become
    a school teacher but her attractive looks soon convinced everyone that the future was in the world of fashion not in books, and by the 1950’s she was one of France’s top models. In 1949, at the age of eighteen, she made her screen debut with an un-credited role in ‘Rendezvous de Juillet’ and acted in two other French films over the next five years. In 1957 the American producer Charles K Feldman offered her a screen test and persuaded her to move to the United States. Feldman also arranged for his protégée to take acting lessons with Gregory Ratov and after a successful screen test at Columbia she made her screen debut playing a Russian Princess in the 1960 ‘Song Without End’. This was followed with her playing the female lead and John Wayne’s love interest in the 1961 ‘North to Alaska’. She was seen at her best playing light comedy roles and one of her best performances was as Peter Seller’s wife in the 1963 ‘The Pink Panther’. During the 1960s she worked in many major pictures, most of which were produced by Feldman but after his death in 1968 her work in the United States lessened to such an extent that she was forced to seek work in Europe. By the end of the 1970s her career was now in decline and her films unspectacular. After her last appearance in the 1989 film Barrio Negro she retired from the screen and settled in her home in Lausanne Switzerland where she had moved to in 1962; there, suffering from depression, she committed suicide by jumping to her death from the penthouse of an eight storey building.
    (Michelle-Angel) North to Alaska (1961)[I]

This is a flavour of what I hope to include I wasn't able to print the picture that goes with the detail. I would appreciate your comments

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• That means she moved to Lausanne about the same time Audrey Hepburn moved and stayed there. I wonder if the two of them ever met, although I never read anything about that in the Hepburn biographies. Ironically, it was her character Angel's line in North to Alaska that "instead of jumping into a river one day (comitting suicide), I jump into a gold mine" or something like that.

• Truly a sad end for a lovely actress :( .

itdo, we agree with you, she was perfectly cast in North to Alaska as "Frenchie" (if I remember correctly - it's been well over a year since we have watched it). Speaking of that, Roland, did you just happen to remember her line about jumping into the river/gold mine or have you watched North to Alaska recently? It's definitely one of our favorite Duke movies for "relaxing" and just having fun!

Chester :newyear:

• Hi

On this day (18th March)

46 years ago Rio Bravo had its US Premier

72 years ago the Telegraph Trail was released in the United States

63 years ago Reap the Wild Wind was premiered in Los Angeles

31 years ago John Wayne attended an AFI tribute to James Cagney

93 years ago the actress Lucille Brown was born she appeared in The Big Trail Texas Terror and rainbow Valley

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

At this moment my computer is not feeling very well and is refusing to speak to anybody so I am curently working al la Ringo - from a public library.

As a result On this day may miss a few but I hope to keep it to a minimum so here goes.

On this day (19th March)

108 years ago the Director Joseph Kane was born he directed Flame of the Barbary Coast.

85 years ago the actor Tige Andrews was born he appeared in Wings of Eagles

131 years ago the actor Arthur Hoyt was born, appearing in almost 250 pictures he played Small in His Private Secretary.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day (20th March)

55 years ago The Fighting Seabees was released in Denmark.

41 years ago John Wayne appeared on a television programme entitled Inside the Movie Kingdom.

122 years ago the actor Colin Campbell was born he featured in the Columbia picture The Deceiver.

121 years ago the actor Frank Hagney was born. He appeared in a number of pictures including Flame of the Barbary Coast.

83 years ago the actor Jack Kruschen was born. A heavilly built jvial looking actor he played the shopkeeper Mr Burnbaum in McLintock.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 21st March

112 years ago the western actor Ed Cassidy was born

13 years ago the actor John Ireland died the part of Cherry Valance in Hawk's Red River was was supposed to have been a major part was gradually eroded to merely a minor role because of the actors awkward attitude on the set

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• hI

On this day 22nd March

119 years ago The director Robert North Bradbury was born. One of the pivotal figures in John Waye's career he made over sixteen pictures with Duke and resurrected his career when it looked doomed.

85 years ago the actor James Brown was born. he appeared in Sands of Iwo Jima

36 years ago the actor Ernest Dorian died aged 70 he appeared in Re-Union in France.

109 years ago the actress Fern Emmett was born.She appeared in three pictures with the Duke

91 years ago the actor Karl Malden was born, although he never appeared with John Wayne, they both featured in How the West Was Won.

88 years ago the actress Virginia Grey was born. She had one of the leading roles in Flame of the Barbary Cast.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 23 March

32 years ago John Wayne appeared with Merv Griffin

61 years ago Mark Rydell the director of The Cowboys one of John Wayne's bloodiest films was born.

13 years ago the actor Ralph Brook died aged 77

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

In England today is Maundy Thursday a day when traditionally the Queen distributes Maundy Money to the old people in need one coin for every year of her reign. Its a tradition that goes back hundreds of years.

On tis day 24 March

49 years ago the actor Charles E Anderson died aged 74, a supporting actor he was sometimes billed as Capt C.E Anderson, and played a juryman in Reap the Wild Wind.

52 years ago The actor Dick Botiller died aged 57 he appeared in two pictures with John Wayne the first as a crooked gambler in Somewhere in Sonora and ten years later as an oiler in In Old Oklahoma or as we called it War of the Wildcats.

91 years ago the actor Richard Conte was born, more used to appearing in gangster movies he played one of the Alfredo's in Circus World or The Magnificent Showman.

99 years ago the actress Joan Crawford was born.

21 years ago the actor Sam Jaffe died.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 25th March (Good Friday)

109 years ago the Director Ray Enright was born, among the many pictures he directed was the Spoilers.

41 years ago Nesden Booth died aged 46 a supporting actor he appeared in un-credited roles in the Greatest Story Ever Told and Rio Bravo.

39 years ago The actor Colin Campbell died aged 83 he was in The Deciever

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 26th March

63 years agoe Reap the Wild Wind was released.

30 years ago Brannigan was released in the United States

57 years ago John Wayne was seen on television at the Academy Award presentations.

42 years ago Duke appeared on the Dick Powell Theatre.

66 years ago the actor James Caan was born he went on to appear in El Dorado

45 years ago the actor Ian Keith died aged 60, while working on the set of the Deceiver he had a prior engagement and Duke took his place as a corpse.

86 years ago the notorious scene stealer Strother Martin was born.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low