There are 997 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 236,464 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi

On this day 9th April

49 years ago The Conqueror was released in the UK.

62 years ago The actor Brandon de Wilde was born. Coming to fame in the Yearling at the age of seven he won the Donaldson Award the youngest ever to do so, he appeared In Harm's Way.

99 years ago the actor Frank Fenton was born he appeared in Island in the Sky.

28 years ago the actor Karl Flenn died aged 46 he made one appearance in The Alamo, does anyone know anything about him?

26 years ago John Wayne was seen on television at his final appearance at the Academy Award presentations shortly before his death.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi May2

Thanks for bringing that to our attention I must admit I had completely overlooked it. But then this list is not meant to be completly comprehensive just snippets.

On this day 10th April

84 years ago Chuck Connors was born. Coming to fame in The Rifleman he appeared with Duke in Trouble Along the Way.

30 years ago The actress Marjorie Main died, famous in the Ma and Pa Kettle series she was in Dark Command and the Shepherd of the Hills.

114 years ago the cowboy star Tim McCoy was born he appeared inTexas Cyclone and Two Fisted Outlaw.

90 years ago the actor Henry ;Harry' Morgan was born. A regular in M*A*S*H he played the sheriff in The Shootist. As far as I know he is still with us.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Arthur,

He is still alive. He doesn't really work any more but not many do when they reach 90. He made his last appearance on a M*A*S*H reunion in 2002. I'm not sure he has appeared since.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hi

Thanks for that Hondo

On this day Monday 11th 2005 The internet decided to have a day off and so I could,nt post I'm sorry about that.
    But in order to maintain the continuity

In 1943 Reap the Wild Wind was released in Finland.
    1973 Ted de Corsia died aged 71
    1966 Kenneth Kieth died
    1980 the actress Florence Lake died aged 74
    and the 1983 Academy Awards Ceremony contained a clip of John Wayne attending the 1953 awards ceremony.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

With Business resumed as normal

On this day Tuesday 12 April

46 years ago the actor James Gleason died aged 72

77 years ago the German actor Hardy Kruger was born, he appeared with Duke in Hatari

66 years ago the film The Night Riders was released in the United States.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this Day Wednesday 13th April

88 years ago the actor and singer Howard Keel was born.

141 years ago with the American Civil war at its height the actor Tully Marshal was born. He appeared with John Wayne in The Big Trail. He is the earliest actor to date, and for me represents what makes the Duke so fascinating and illustrates the narrowness of the timeband John Wayne transcended time he appeared with an actor who was born during the war between the states as well as actors born during the Second World War and beyond.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Arthur

I'm just beginning to find my way around this wonderful John Wayne message board, so I've only browsed your fascinating posts, but rest assured I shall endeavor to acquaint myself with the many details therein

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

• Hi
    On this day 14th April

two years ago The actress Addie McPhail died aged 97 she appeared in Girls Demand Excitement. She was also married to the comedian and director Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle.

Regards

Arthur.

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 15th April

72 years ago The film Central Airport was released in the United tates. Starring ichard Barthlemass it featured John Wayne briefly seen as a survivor of a plane crash at sea standing on the wing.

66 ago the actress Claudia Cardinale was born she appeared with Duke in The Magnificent Showman, and was one of the screen beauties of the day.

30 years ago te actor Richard Conte died aged 61. More at home in gangster dramas, like Cardinale he appeared in The Magnificent Showman.

88 years ago the actor Hans Conreid was born, often seen playing Eastern Europeans in comedies he occasionally appeared in drama and featured with John Wayne as a Russian Officer in Jet Pilot.

42 years ago The actor Eddie Hearne died aged 75 he made two films with John Wayne Shadow of the Eagle and Dark Command.

83 years ago Michael Ansara was born. Famous for his western television portayals of Indians he was in the Comancheros.

37 years ago John Wayne appeared on The Rowan and Martin Laugh In Show.

65 years ago the film Dark Command was released in the United States.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

66 ago the actress Claudia Cardinale was born she appeared with Duke in The Magnificent Showman, and was one of the screen beauties of the day.

OOO LALA!!! :wub: :wub: If you have not seen Once Upon A Time In The West check it out, Claudia is in it :wub::wub:

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hi

On this day 16th April

98 years ago the actress Fifi D'Orsay was born she played Budgie in the Life of Jimmy Dolan

60 years ago the Chinese actor Willie Fung died aged 45 he appeared in The Spoilers, Seven Sinners and Flying Tigers.

56 years ago the actor Charles Halton died. A thin weasley faced looking man he played characters who gave great delight in evicting your grandmother into the snow and appeared in Three Godfathers, The Spoilers and In Old California.

68 years ago the film California Straight Ahead was released in the United States.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 17th April

72 years ago The Telegraph Trail was released in the United Kingdom

46 years ago the actress Cecil Cunningham died aged 71 she appeared in War of the Wildcats

100 years ago the actor Jean Louis Heydt was born he appeared in They Were Expendable, Island in the Sky and Wings of Eagles

44 years ago John Wayne appeared on television at the Academy awards

30 years ago John Wayne appeared on the Bob Hope Special.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 18th April

106 years ago the actor Charles Cane was born.

124 years ago the actor Noble Johnson was born he appeared in She Wore A Yellow Ribbon

138 years ago the actress Mayme Kelso was born she appeared in The Drop Kick

102 years ago The actor Leonid Kinskey was born he appeared in Lady for a Night and The Fighting Seabees.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hey Arthur,

I have really enjoyed the posting here on "On This Day". I've learned so much. I can't imagine a nothing day in the life of the Duke, but I guess there are those days. Missed yours today, and I guess it was an off day.

Thanks again and look forward to more.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hi Mike

A rare occasion when I had something else on
    but will catch up with two for the price of one.

On this day 20th April

101 years ago Dukes friend and fellow actor bruce Cabot was born

63 years ago the actor George takei was born. Better known for Star Trek he appeared in The Green Berets

81 years ago the British Actor Leslie Phillips was born he appeared in The longest day

14 years ago the Director Don Siegal died the director of one of John Waynes most famous pictures The Shootist, The making of the film was the subject of the first chapter in Siegel's autobiography 'A Siegel Picture'.

59 years ago the actress Marie Windsor married Ted Steele.

On this day 21 April

7 years ago the actor Douglas V Fowley died aged 87. He appeared in Pittsburgh and The high and The Mighty.

90 years ago The actor Anthony Quinn was born, he appeared in Tycoon and Back to Bataan

28 years ago John Wayne appeared on Television in Sinatra and Friends.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

Originally posted by arthurarnell@Apr 21 2005, 12:54 AM
    7 years ago the actor Douglas V Fowley died aged 87. He appeared in Pittsburgh and The high and The Mighty.

[snapback]16166[/snapback]

Hi Arthur -
    Fowley was one of my favorite character actors. One of his best roles IMO was his part as the harried movie director in "Singing In The Rain." There were many other movies that showed his wide-ranging acting abilities to good effect.
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Hi

On this day 22nd April

69 years ago the actor and singer Glenn Campbell was born never enjoying a major film career he was hoever in True Grit.

37 years ago John Wayne appeared on the Rowan and Martin Laugh in television show.

64 years ago The Lady From Louisiana was released in the Unted States

43 years ago The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance was released in the United States.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low