World War Two Discussion Boards

There are 12 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,261 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I've been a WWII buff for most of my life (ever since dad bought me a playset containing both American and German soldiers back in 1977-78 or thereabouts) and I have been unsuccessful in finding a site that features a decent message board and info about the conflict itself. I'm particularly interested in the Pacific Theater of Operations (PTO) and was hoping my fellow JW fans could point me in the right direction.

"Day off?"
    "Off day."

• Cole, not that im bragging but, IM the guy to ask when it deals with WWII :)

Some great sites are Third Reich Factbook which is onwed and operated by Marcus Wendell from Sweden. This site sometimes goes through some "growing pains" but it is very well Moderated and if there are any troublemakers, they too are swiftly dealt with.

Another that is good though im no longer friends with the sites owner is ww2n.com I was there untill late last year and I had about 13,000+++ postings but, in a disagreement with the sites owner, I left the site. On that site I was a Moderator and was known under my real name there. I resigned as moderator because the sites owner would leave me in charge for months at a time but not the necessary "powers" to deal with troublemakers. Owner not withstanding, the site is a very good one that my friend Erich Brown and I, built and recruited some great people to be members of, and we alone turned it into the direction that helped make itr a sucess.

Another site I highly recommend is: Military Collectors Network (don't let the name foll you) This site is a bit slow in the histories department but is also a site mainly for Militaria. Anyway, the Gentleman who owns this site is from Scotland and his name is Lenny Warren. He is a man who is a professional and he really is quite a Gentleman. You will find no troubles on his site. There I am known as 1st Platoon and I am a Moderator there.

Still another site which is small but growing that has some great info at is called The Eagle's Nest. This site is VERY well maintained and also VERY well moderated. Any trouble there is swiftly taken care of. That sites owner is a guy named Paul who is from Washington. The way the site is set up is very well done and he keeps trying to improve it and make it more appealing to the eye. I am there as a Moderator under the name of 5thuhlankavallerieregiment.

There are other good sites out there but they specialize on one branch of the service or on one battle etc.

I almost forgot to mention that 12 O'Clock High one of the, if not THE greatest site on the air war in Europe between the Army Air Forces and The Luftwaffe. I think it covers actually anything to do with air warfare anywhere in WWII. I do not remember who onws and operates this site but it is one of the oldest wwII sites I know of on the net and was the first one I found when I got hooked on computers.

Now if your interested in Uboats, THE premier site on uboats is U Boat Net. and I think this sites owner is Gumundar Helgasson (SP?) He goes by the nickname of "Gummi." There is no better site on Uboats anywhere. This site has also been around since way back and is absolutely amazing.

If you are interested in German Paratroopers (Fallschirmjager) The best site (I also get some credit for getting it off the ground) :D isDiving Eagles. This sites owner is Greg Way from Portsmouth, England. I don't know if he still serves in the Royal Navy Submarine Service or not but, he is a good friend.

If you are interested in German personalities such as Knights Cross Recipients (Ritterkreuztrager) the best site I found on them (until I can gather all my info as well as that of several others coming in with me) the site (which is in German) is: Knights Cross Recipient site. This site has been around for about 5 years now and is always trying to improve.

If you are interested in a site about German Generals, I know of a great site but you will have to PM me for its url because I don't have it in memory. This site even gives a thumbnail sixed picture with the vast majority of Generals names. It is mainly only on German Army Generals but does list maybe a few dozen Luftwaffe generals.

Anyway, let me know what you like and I can send you to the site you will probably like the best. Also, if you want the url to the Eagle's Nest, just go to Google and type in Eagle's Nest. I don't know what page in google it will be on but it is there. There are also dozens of other places using the same name so it will have to be a search for you or--you can request that url from me as well but i'll have to get it from a saved email.

Best regards--Carl.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Thanks for all the good info, RingoKid! I'm still looking at the sites and it amazes me (and disturbs me a little) that so many people are so caught up in Nazi Germany. One guy even comes off as an apologist for them. Very disturbing. Of course, he's in the minority from what I've read. I prefer the Pacific Theater and there is at least a forum on the WWII forums site, with plenty to read and discuss, though it isn't as active as the ETO forums. I guess people just like the German equpiment and uniforms...

BTW, I abhor Yahoo groups format, it's pretty much unreadable with all the ads ,months of inactivity and with me having a simple dial-up connection, why bother?

"Day off?"
    "Off day."

• Hi Cole, quite welcome. When I first got interested in WWII history I too loved reading and studying about the War in the Pacific. I especially loved reading everything I could get my hands on about Guadalcanal, Midway, Wake, Iwo Jima, Siapan and some of the other actions in the R.T.O. (Pacific Theater of Operations) The only thing at that time that I had an interest in dealing with the E.T.O. (European Theater of Operations) was anything to tdo with the Battle of the Bulge especially the 101st Airborne Div at Bastogne.

Well, I wanted to expand my horizons by reading more and more about the E.T.O. (including Italy and North Africa) and got hooked on those areas. Then I moved to anything to do with the Normandy Invasion (D-Day) followed by the battles for the Falaise Pocket and the Reichswald. I then went afew years back in time to get the poiint of view of the combatants before the USA became involved. I studied the Battle of Britain, the Invasion of Norway (Narvik) Holland, Belgium, France, Poland, The annexation of Austria, followed by the occupation of Czecholslovakia etc. I studied about the evacuation of Dunkirk, the invasion of Crete etc. From there, I was hooked on the war in Europe.

Next I read up on the Battle for Berlin having not been interested in the Russian involvement of the war but started having an interest after reading about the Battles for the Seelowe Heights. I then read up all I could from the German invasion of the Soviet Union, to the gates of Moscow, the encirclement at Stalingrad, the Siege of Leningrad, the fall of Sebastopol, the great tank battles of Kursk and Kharkov, and the great retreat across the Crimea and Kuban.

Along the way, I found a great interest in the Finnish/Russian war and the Spanish Civil War. I have since scaled back a bit to only or mainly the war along the Eastern Front.

I'm not disturbed about how many people are fascinated with Germany in WWII. I am just as fascinated with them for many reasons and I do not have one single belief that the nazis believed in. For one, you practically summed it up when you said "I guess people just like the German equipment and uniforms." That is part of my fascination as well. But also when you add in the history and also living history to it, that is something i have an insatiable appetite for. There is a syaing that also sums it up when it comes to uniforms from various armies: "The German Army goes into battle like it was going on Parade, the British Army goes into battle like they were going to a Soccer match, and the American Army goes into battle like thay have spent the day digging ditches." This by all means does not keep me from liking American of British equipment and uniforms. I like them all.

I collect WWI and WWII German Militaria and most of the items have a swastika somewhere on it. This does not mean I care for that symbol (which really is a religious symbol) also used to be the symbol for the U.S. Army's Infantry Division that was made of up men from the New Mexico/Arizona area. This insignia for that Inf Div was later turned into the Thunderbird insignia.

The main thing that disturbs me is, is that anything and everything to do with the germans is automatically labled nazi this and nazi that. That could not be the most wrong thing there ever was.

For instance: I have heard people refer the German Wehrmacht (Armed Forces) called the Nazi Army or Nazi navy, nazi Airforce. There is no branch of the German Armed Forces that could be correctfully labled at a Nazi force or nazi military. There were no nazis allowed to serve in the Kriegsmarine (German navy) though they were allowed to serve in the Heer (Army) and the Luftwaffe Airforce)To turn it around a bit, would the USA's Armed Forces be correctly called if they were called the Republican Army or Democratic Armed Forsces? I don't think so. The very same thing goes for the German Armed Forces of WWII.

Also, contrary to popular misconception, there really were not that many nazi's in the military with the vast majority being Civilians. In WWII, Germany had about 80 million citizens. Of that 80 million, about 4 million were in the nazi party. Now, if there ever was a German force of anykind that could be labled a "Nazi Army" or nazi military, that would have to be for the S.A. (Sturm Abteilung) or Brownshirts. Also you can lump the Allgemeine SS (General SS) trash in with that group but you cannot place the Waffen SS in with that group as those were also frontline soldiers. The Allgemeine SS were the ones who wore the all black uniforms, the Waffen SS wore the grey-green uniforms.

Sorry for my rant, im not defending any atrocities that members of the Wehrmacht did do, I just wanted to make sure it was clear that the nazi lable, cannot be placed on every german whop lived and served in the military of that era.

• My opinion only but as a John Wayne fan I don't think he was interested in the nazi's. This started out as WWII question. Please don't take this comment as a complaint or anything else......

• Hi Harold, not to worry, im taking no offense but my reason for posting it to begin with was only to mention that that term is always taken out of context. Nothing more, nothing less. Oh and, the question was not meant on how john Wayne felt about WWII & Germany. Cole had asked for help in locating a good discussion board that he could participate in and I gave said examples.

Cheers.

• I agree with you completely Kid, as I have also gone through phases where my interest in a specific era dominates for awhile, then I move on to something else. Only thing is, I've been in a PTO phase for five years now, after years of being almost exclusively into the ETO. I still need to read more on the Italian campaign, though as it's pretty much forgotten, as is the New Guinea campaign in the Pacific. Let's face it, it's all fascinating!

BTW, Harold this is the Off-Topic section of the board, so feel free to post non-Duke topics here.

"Day off?"
    "Off day."

• Hi Cole, Harold.

Thank you Cole, and if you ever want to chat about the P.T.O or any other area in WWII, i'd be glad to do so with you. Also, i am in contact and or have addresses to many famous vets who fought in the P.T.O. C.B.I. and E.T.O. If you ever want any, just let me know and i'll look for my list.

Harold, I respect your opinion but I expect the same in return. I am not trying to be rude or anything but if WWII is of no interest to you, i'm the wrong guy to chat with. If you think the word nazi is nasty, that's OK as well. If a topic is of no interest to me, I don't read it.

Cheers and Rootbeers TRK.

Originally posted by The Ringo Kid@Apr 29 2005, 12:07 PM
    Harold, I respect your opinion but I expect the same in return. I am not trying to be rude or anything but if WWII is of no interest to you, i'm the wrong guy to chat with. If you think the word nazi is nasty, that's OK as well. If a topic is of no interest to me, I don't read it.

Cheers and Rootbeers TRK.

[snapback]16357[/snapback]

I second that, Kid. Unfortunately, while there are morons who are Nazi apologists, there are also people out there who persecute the folks who bother to read up on the horrible evil that was Hitler's tyranny. I have often been criticized for posessing knowledge about the Nazis. Remember the old expression: "Know your enemy"? How can anyone know about something if they don't explore the subject? It would seem that there are certain people out there who would confuse active learning with complicity in the deeds of those they are studying, which is absolutely ridiculous. Two different brands of ignorance, IMO. :angry:

"Day off?"
    "Off day."

• Hi Cole, VERY well said. Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill nor I, could have said it better. :)

Harold, I don't think you read the first and third postings on this topic correctly as well as the name that this section of the forum is named. I believe it says "Off Topic" which means that any postings in this section of the forums do not , I repeat, do not have to be about John Wayne nor his movies.

Cole had asked a question and I tried my best to answer his question. Again, I am not trying to sound rude nor do I wish to get into a row in public but, if you have no interest in this topic, please do not try to disrail it.

Harold, with respect to everyone else on this site, this will be my last reply to you on this thread. Everyone here knows that THC has all kinds of things about Military History that they play from time to time but, THC is not a perfect place to get all your answers on Military History answered. Verstehen (SP?) B)