The John Wayne Diet

There are 41 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 14,434 times. The latest Post () was by chester7777.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Well since I have had my dish turned off and with two young ones in the house, I either watch animated movies all day :rolleyes::fear: or I find some time to pop in a JW movie... which I just added "Dark Command" and "The Longest Day" to my collection... yippie!!!! :D

Other movies I enjoy taking a bit of time out of the day with are "Operation Petticoat", "Father Goose", a few Jackie Chan movies "Mr. Nice Guy", "Shanghai Knights", and a few Tim Allen movies "Big Trouble" and "Joe Somebody"...

Other than that it's "Toy Story", "Toy Story 2", "Veggie Tales", "Barbi" and just about every Disney movie that has ever been made...

Anyway to try and get this post back to topic... Right now I don't think I could go a day with out watching the Duke...

You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.

Originally posted by Emmanuel@May 23 2005, 11:58 PM
    I remember a doctor asking me, when was the last time I went without booze for six weeks. I couldn't tell him,

[snapback]16926[/snapback]

Hm-m-m-m, I remember a doctor asking me when was the last time I went without the John Wayne message board for six days, and I couldn't tell him . . . .

:headbonk:

Chester :newyear:

• The best Idea of all, is to have a Duke film on in the background,
    a galss of booze in the left hand, and the mouse, in the right hand,
    and this here, web-site, lit up, in front of you.
    Now that's life, how it should be!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I think it's safe to say, and I mean no offense, that we have several John Wayne addicts on this board. But if your happy being a John Wayne addict, go ahead!

I enjoy him. I'm passionate about him. I love him. But there is more to my life then just him. I'm glad I can say that. I think it is as it should be.

This is my final week. Wes is D-Day. I may even wait till Friday just so I can have a small marathon. Two in a row. Okay maybe three. I think the first movie I will watch is The Shootist. Then both of the "Roosters". He has always been my favorite character of Duke and I have missed him. :D

I found myself missing Duke's voice this week. I am craving to hear it again. I'm glad to say that I have made it. I feel like I have things back in perspective and I have several new movie avenues to pursue. :cowboy:

I know this diet has been good for me. I compliment Smokey who so far has been the only one with enough "brass" to take it with me. I look forward to her comments and what she has learned through this experience.

I still encourage others to take this challenge. It is not going to make him disappear you know. His existence will not be taken from the earth because you don't watch him for a day, week, or month. Start small. I'm telling you. You'll find a new appreciation for him. :lol:

• I can understand your desire to not be dominated by anything, and in fact I admire it, and have a similar outlook. It has actually been a week since we last watched the Duke, and that was without even trying, and with no ill effects.

But today I had fun going out and spreading John Wayne's image far and wide, again without hardly trying. I dressed in full John Wayne regalia (blue western shirt with yellow neckerchief, my John Wayne vest, and big, white John Wayne cowboy hat) and pushed my youngest son (he is 9 today!) in a little "Cub-mobile" he made in Cub Scouts, through the lovely redwoods of the Santa Cruz mountains in a Memorial Day parade this morning, with the rest of his den. Many people along the way were shouting out, "Hey - John Wayne!" or "It's the Duke!" After that bit of fun, I went with my son and 4 of his friends to a local Civil War re-enactment event for the afternoon, complete with cannons and an 1880's vintage steam train. There were several thousand people there, and again, it was people seeing John Wayne over and over. Several dozen people actually approached and asked to take pictures with me. When I stopped by to chat with an Abraham Lincoln impersonator (he was real good!), then people wanted to take pictures with the two of us. It was really fun!

I hope it doesn't go to my head :headbonk: . . . :rolleyes: .

The main thing is that people were seeing the Duke's image, with a positive feedback.

• hi there JWAngel

well for a few words about this fast, firstly i don't think i could go another week without falling off the wagon so i am real glad that the month is up in just a few hours.

how it has been going without the duke for this month well i have to say we have watched a lot of family movies the little bloke and i have, for myself i found some real old movies on dvd and snapped them up real cheep going for as little as A$10 , oh by the way i managed to get clemtime with henry fonda, desert rats with chips rafferty, we dive at dawn with john mills, as well as a 10 pk of family movies and a western 10disc pk this had jw in it but i resisted (but only just) am looking forward to sitting down and having a watch of one of his movies on the weekendmaybe i will make that 2 :lol: . i think that i will sit back and enjoy some classic jw movies just for the fun factor.

well jwangel we did it but im glad you decided on just the month, theres not much on telly at the moment so i tend to rely on watching a mixture of movies to pass the time (including the dukes movies) so hats off to ya glad we didnt go gaga :D

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Hi Smokey and JW Angel - Congratulations on the success of your John Wayne diet, though I would have picked something else to abstain from. Hope you folks didn't get anorexic in the process.
    Cheers - Jay :)

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• JWAngel, Smokey....Congratulations on your diet success, you are both a lot tougher than I would be. A whole month without the Duke :fear2: I just couldn't do it. :(:( I have to know I can pop that movie whenever I can. But be honest, you both have a movie ready to plug in right?! :P

BabySister

:cowboy::cowboy::cowboy:

"Give me a man like Duke Wayne"...Marueen O'Hara

• hi there baby sis

tough is how you think we are well im not that tough still i survived ;) just.

plugged in and ready to watch but making up my mind about the firat one i want to watch that is the tough one now as there are so many i want to watch all at once wish i had more that one telly working and more that one dvd player so i could watch more than one movie at a time :lol: . have been tossin up between alamo or rooster but will have maded up my mind by tomorrow night i hope :D

cheers smokey

Originally posted by Baby Sister@Jun 3 2005, 04:56 PM
    Smokey,

I think after a month off I would go with Rooster...something tough and no nonsense.
    Baby Sis

[snapback]17164[/snapback]

I second that emotion . . . Rooster all the way!

BTW, smokey, did you make the poor little bloke go on the diet, too, or did he have some opportunity to watch the Duke without you :D ?

• :lol: Ahhhh! It feels good to be home again!! That is what Duke has become to me, home. I think he has become the movie equivalent of my favorite lounge outfit. Ya know those holy sweat pants and over sized t-shirt that you love to relax in.
    :P I watched The Shootist as I had planned and it really felt like a month had not gone by. It was like reuniting with an old friend after several years and feeling that not a day had passed between you.
    :D The manager at my local video store pointed out a John Wayne documentary that I had not seen. So I took the opportunity to get that. It was very interesting. It is called No Substitue for Victory. It rehearsed the history of Communism. It talks a lot about Vientnam which Duke felt very strongly about.
    B) To Chester: I think what you did with your son on Memorial Day was awesome. I'm sure he'll tell his kids about that day! I'm tempted to go get a western style hat and a pair of boots myself. Not to portray Duke but because I really enjoy the look now.
    :rolleyes: When I rented my movies I also got one Fonda, one Cooper, and The Red Badge of Courage. I just wanted to let you guys know I'm staying with my new perspective. Thank you again for all the support and inquiry.
    :cowboy: Look for my new discussion on this forum "What will you watch on June 11?"

Originally posted by JWAngel@Jun 4 2005, 07:16 PM
    I'm tempted to go get a western style hat and a pair of boots myself. Not to portray Duke but because I really enjoy the look now.

[snapback]17173[/snapback]

JWAngel,

You better watch out - that's how I got started. Then I found myself looking at belt buckles, vests, then western shirts (I really like the style with the bib front), then a custom made hat . . . .

I wasn't necessarily trying to look like John Wayne, just dress like him - but I am 6 ft. 4 in. tall, and kind of a big guy, and without trying I guess I look like him at least a little, but's it really mostly the outfit that does it. Normally, people don't approach me on most days and think I look like the Duke (although since that parade, there is a checker at Grocery Outlet who now calls me "Duke" :jump: ).

• hi jwangel and chester

firstly the movie that i watched first off was "the alamo" it was pure bliss i think i picked this one as duke gave his all for this movie (nearly cost him the shirt off his back), and it was just fun to watch.

chester yep if i was on the diet then the little bloke was as well otherwise i would have fallen sooner, and thats why we watched sooo many family movies, so i suppose you could say that there was two who did it in our home :lol:

cheers smokey

• Well done you guys. :lol: there's not many of us would want to go a month without him.

Welcome back to the world of "DUKE"

Emmanuel. :jump:

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

• :unsure: I can absolutely guarantee that will never happen to me. I'm a 5"3, red headed lady. Besides I've openly rebilled against the country scene for years and my friends and family would tease me terribly. I don't think I'd be brave enough to wear it out of the house. I thought I might use the hat as a writing inspiration. Kind of like Jo's night cap from Little Women. My dream outfit is a dark swede jacket with fringe, black boots, regular black dress shirt, jeans (blue or black) and a black western hat.

• hi angel

if you get your dream outfit then you will be our angel in black :lol: if iwas to get a country out fit it would be a pair of mole skins, light blue shirt, ringers boots and i already have the hat. outback aussie wear. so then i would be smokey in blue :lol:

hope you get your dream outfit one day and dont worry what others think just please yourself.

cheers smokey

• Thanks Smokey. Your'e awesome! :lol: