An Amazing Statistic, But A Very Sad One.

There are 5 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,147 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I'm not sure where I heard this but I heard it yesterday on a cable TV station. They were talking about some ceremony to do with American Veterans.

Now, it's been years since I last read much about U.S. Civil War (as if any war can be civil!!) and was amazed at the numbers of the dead and wounded from both sides added into one final number.

The Battle of Antietam raged for some 12 hours. In that sad 12 hours, 23,110 Americans were killed and wounded in that day of fighting. This is the worst day for American Soldiers from any war as to numbers of those killed in a single battle. :(

Those sad numbers amaze me. What is just as bad is when I read about the huge losses that happened to others in other wars such as the losses the British and French and Germans took in some of the major battles of WWI. :( In WWII, the huge losses sustained on all the fronts in WWII especially between the Germans and the Russians on the Eastern Front.

What a waste of many great people. :angry: ((Sadly shakes head from side-to-side))

As a collector and VERY amateur historian, May they all Rest in Peace.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Carl,

I heard the same thing but I looked up some information, and found this Antietam National Battlefield. You will see that it was around 23,000 who died in that battle in 12 hours. Very sad indeed. I thought so, but wanted confirmation on that. You can also go to Antietam National Cemetery for more information, and also to Historic Antietam.

Enjoy, Carl

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Carl and Hondo,

The Civil War, IMHO, was the saddest thing that has happened to this nation. You might also remember the Battle of Gettysburg, with over 51,000 casualties in three days and 5000 dead horses (at least according to this web site). As I get older, I become more of a conspiracy theorist, and I kind of wonder who is behind the scenes making all the money.

Certainly you have presenting staggering, sobering statistics :( .

Chester :newyear:

• Thank you Hondo and Chester for the information and sites. As I grow older and hopefully a bit wiser, I am becoming more and more sentimental about our past history and about the death and destruction that war itself has.

I tell you what though, reading about Antietam from the links you guys gave me has really "sobered" me up more. I think I need to take a mini sabbatical from WWII for awhile and start reading about the Civil War again.

• Carl,

I recommend that you get the Ken Burns Civil War Series. Very good documentary of the Civil War with a lot of information read from letters from those involved in the war.

Very expensive to have ($90 to $100) but well worth it. I have my copy, and from time to time it's on public television.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Thanks Hondo and, I sorta taped the entire series on VHS back when it first played on PBS. :D Your correct though, it is a great series.