Duke's women

There are 24 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 8,602 times. The latest Post () was by kilo 6.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Despite his dislike of Geraldine Page she was nominated for an Academy Award for her role in Hondo and also won a Best actress Academy Award forher 1986 picture A Trip to Bountiful.
    hortly before Hondo reached the screen there were plans at Warners to pair the two to-grther in a film which was to be called 'The Wicker Basket' but this was quickly denied by Warner Brothers officials.
    My choice for one of the best actressesseen in a John Wayne Picture - Vera Miles
    seen in The Searchers. The Man Who Shot liberty Valance and Hellfighters
    The worst I agree another Vera - Vera Ralston

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• I would have to say Gail Russell and Patricia Neal. I like Patricia Neal. She seemed to be calm cool and collected.
    Little Duke

• To get back on this rare Lady-takes-a-chance-version:

It's quite possible that there are different versions.
    During the war years ("Lady" was made in 43) the US government established different bureaus of censorship, checking on different points:
    - suitable to be released to US citizens in terms of morale?
    - to allies, such as the British? To show Americans playboying around, as Wayne here surely does, could be such a case. His "Allegheny Uprising" was withdrawn from the British market and severly cut, then re-released later as "The First Rebel".
    - to neutral countries, again: would it hurt the American image?
    - the Catholic censors had their 2-cents- words, as well as censors in the different states

Now "Lady" sure was ahead of its time in terms of sex-comedy. Therefore I could imagine that there could be different versions. That scene in the desert is a tricky one: audience weren't supposed to see a couple going to bed together (they had to have their feet on the ground when seen even only sitting on a bed). Now here they sleep in the same desert away from each other - but they wake up together!!! So - and I'm guessing here - the dreamsequence could have been put in there to tell audiences: she was busy dreaming the whole night.

Nobody ever saw this version?

• I think many were good and perhaps Gail Russel stands out. Ms Ohara is well loved but her roles ofton had confrontational foundations.

Greetings from North of the 49th