Someone Asked Me For A Review For:

There are 10 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,532 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Dodge City:

Errol Flynn.
    Olivia de Havilland.
    Alan Hale Sr.
    Gwinn "Big Boy" Williams.
    Bruce Cabot.

Though this movie started out a bit slow, it rapidly gained speed and kept my attention to it from beginning to ending. Any Flynn fan will like this movie as it has his usual excellent performance as well as that from all the others with Alan Hale Sr & Gwinn "Big Boy" Williams standing out and almost stealing the movie.

This movie is one of a set of five that is called the: Errol Flynn Signature Collection. The rest of this set includes:

They Died With their Boots On. W/ Errol Flynn as General George Armstrong Custer. Olivia de Havilland as Libby Bacon Custer. Arthur Kennedy as "Sharp" his main antagonist. Anthony Quinn as Chief Crazy Horse. Sidney Greenstreet as General Winfield Scott.

The Sea Hawk. W/ Errol Flynn as Captain Geoffrey Thorpe. Alan Hale Sr. as his 2nd in command. Gilbert Roland as a Spanish ships Captain.

The Private Lives Of Elizabeth and Essex. W/ Errol Flynn and Betty Davis.

Captain Blood. W/ Errol Flynn as Captain Peter Blood. Olivia de Havilland as his love interest. I think this one also has Basil Rathbone in it as well.

Comes with a 6th bonus disc which is a documentary about Errol Flynn that was done by Turner Classics Movies.

Best--C.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi Carl,
    We've had conversations about Mr Flynn before,
    I think he was magic, and I loved everything he did,
    regardless of his demon personal life!!

Best Wishes,
    Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi Carl,
    Thank you for review. So you have got the Flynn Signature collection? What is your whole impression? I didn't bay it yet, because I have all these films ans saw them many times, but not in the best quality, because I have them at VHS. For a pity the documentary disk can't be purchased without the whole set. So I too planning to bay the whole in the nearest future.

Hi Keith,
    I didn't belive in completly demon life of Errol Flynn, having read many books about him and 3 of his own. There are too many claims in some of them.

Regards,
    Vera

• Hi

I always like watching Errol Flynn movies
    he was great as Robin Hood, and I also
    liked his Custer.

Emmanuel

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

• Hi

One of my favourites has to be The Sea Hawks, lots of adventure, stirring music a strong cast and much better than his Captain Blood.

Robin Hood and They Died With Their Boots On are superb.

Even his lesser known pictures like the Master of Ballentrie aren't that bad.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

I'm not sure if I got the right series as I only saw a couple but in Death Valley Days they seemed to weave a story around Dodge City using exerpts from a number of pictures and with actors dressed as the characters in the films that they have used.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Arthur,
    The films you mention - are my favorites. Only I will add Gentleman Jim, Adventures of Don Juan and, excuse me, - Objective Burma, even if it is not historical accurate - I still love that movie.
    Regards,
    Senta

• Hi Keith, Senta, Emmanuel & Arthur.

Keith, I think he was great as well. One thing I really do wished had happened in his private life (besides the quitting of the bad habits) was that I always wished he and Olivia de Havilland would have become a couple and had got married. I wonder what might have been? Currently I am ( rather tonight) I will be watching Captain Blood. I will leave a revieew of it later on the weekend and will try to do so on the others by Tuesday at the latest.

Hi Senta, your quite welcome my friend and hope it helped. :-)) I did get the Errol Flynn Signature Collection. Ever since I heard these were coming out I had waited to get the boxed collection instead of buying them one at a time. It is also about $15.00 cheaper to get the collection than one at a time. At Deep Discount DvD the collection is $41.00 and some change. Singly, they go for about $13.00 and some change each. The boxed collection is definately worth buying and getting the added bonus disk is nice. The bonus disk is a documentary on Errol Flynn and it has many extra features on it as well.

I too have most of these on VHS but I am trying to get rid of the tapes for DvD's only. I still have around 500 or so VHS tapes. They are heavy to lug around when I move and also take up too much space. Heh heh, now my DvD collection is growing and taking up even more space. :D

Hi Emmanuel, I too liked his Custer movie and his portrayal of Robin Hood the most. The only two movies I don't have of his that I like better are: Dawn Patrol and Charge of the Light Brigade. David Niven (in both movies) & Basil Rathbone (only in one of the two) are really great supporting actors for Errol Flynn.

Hi Arthur, the Sea Hawk is one of my top four favorite Flynn films. I have not had a chance to see: Master of Ballentrae yet nor The Private Lives of Elizabeth & Essex (which I will be watching before the weekend is over)

The next ones i'll do reviews for are:

They Died With Their Boots On.
    Sea Hawk.
    Captain Blood.
    The Private Lives Of Elizabeth & Essex.
    ((Not included with the boxed set but will do a review on is: Objective Burma.))

• Hi Carl,
    Thank you for your information. The Dawn Patrol and The Charge of the Light Brigade is not on DVD yet, it is great movies and I love them both.
    As for Master of Ballentrie - it was realised on DVD in the 1st zone (but edition that I have was realised here) - and it is very beautiful color movie, there is exellent operators work in it. But the movie is quite different from the novel (one of the darkest of Stevenson) and has a happy ending. But of course this movie itself can be compared with such masterpieces as Sea Hawk for example.
    Also was realised on DVD two very nice movies with Errol - Kim and The Prince and the Pauper. And aviation movie - Dive Bomber, that I didn't like too much.
    I also began thinking at the moment that the DVd is much better to have, but it is some problems when you started to replace VHS - not all the moves are on DVD. And I always want to see so many movies, that I haven't seen before, that it never comes to replacements. So I only decide try to by the best quality versions on DVD from now.
    Regards,
    Vera

• Hi

Thats the trouble with writing off the cuff you tend to forget films like Kim, a rollicking adventure with Flynn at his best, and The Charge of the Light brigade. Although historically inaccurate it is still a rousing picture.

Although Objective Burma rankled with the British public when it came out I think it is not a bad picture.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Senta, Arthur.

Senta, your quite welcome. Yep and sadly, I know they aren't on DvD yet--but I will keep my fingers crossed for good luck for their eventual release. Thanks for the info on Master of Ballentrei. It's one I have always wanted to see and will look for a copy to get. I didn't care much for "Kim" but I guess it was Ok. Have not seen Prince & the Pauper yet and is another on my list of "to see." Also, I didn't care much for Dive Bomber either but mainly because Fred MacMurray was in it. I agree, I think DvD is the way to go and like you, I have many movies on VHS not released yet. Hopefully within a few years.

Arthur, I too like Objective Burma a lot and it was the first Flynn movie I got on DvD followed by The Adventures of Robin Hood.

Take care yall and see you tomorrow--C.