Movie Rervies For:

There are 9 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,712 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Queen Elizabeth was played by: Bette Davis.
    Lord Essex was played by: Errol Flynn.
    Olivia de Havilland was also in this movie.
    The Irish Rebel Leader was played by Alan Hale Sr.
    Captain of the Queen's Household Guard was played by: Vincent Price.
    Donald Crisp was also in this movie.

The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex was beautifully filmed in color. Some VERY minor point I noticed about this film. There apparently was alot of hubbub about the movie and to whom the top billing was to go to. Well, Bette Davis apparently threw her weight around and got the top billing both in her name as well as in the name of the film. however, Errol Flynn was the first one of these two stars to be seen and heard. I imagine that in their ways of thinking (their egos) that they both "won" the prize of being first. In my way of thinking (following their ego thinking patterns) that they both tied.

Anyway, this movie was well made and the actors all did an excellent job IMO. However, I felt that the rold of Queen Elizabeth should have gone to the lady who played her in Sea Hawk -- not that i'm trying to down play the fine acting that Bette Davis played.

Near the beginning of the film just after Essex entered the Castle and into the Queen's Court. I studied the scene where they have their disagreements and Essex turns and walks away from the Queen without her permission. The Queen then gets up and stomps over to the now halted Essex and she is angrily saying: "You Dare turn your back on me!" " "You dare!!" and then she proceeds to slap Essex. [B][COLOR=blue] {{According to the documentary disk and to which is easily seen. Bette Davis actually landed a hard slap to Flynn's face. Apparently Flynn was angry enough to want to hit her back. When you see this scene, study it carefully and you will see what thet and I mean. I doubt that look of anger on Flynn's face was acting. If it was only acting, then I have a new respect for his great acting skills--not that I lacked positive opinion for his skills anyway.

The movie though seemed to slow down at several points and I still held interest but not as much as I would have liked. When he finally meets with the Irish Rebel leader (Alan Hale Sr.) it was a relief to finally see him appear in this movie. IMO, Alan Hale did not have enough on screen time in this movie and that to me made it a bit disappointing. It was very interesting to see Vincent Price in this movie though and he was a nice breath of fresh air. Donald Crisp and Olivia de Havilland both were great as usual. It was also interesting to see that Olivia de havilland was not a love interest to Flynn.

One thing I did like about this film which stood out from it's other positive points was the plot twists. These plot twists made this movie a very watchable movie -- especially for one who never had seen it before and did not know what to expect from it. I was a bit disappointed at the ending though by then one "knew" how the movie was going to end. I kept rooting for Flynn and Davis to become a twosome.

Cheers--C

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi Ringo,
    Actually I can say that I didn't like this movie. It is too many faults in it and because of personal relationships between Davis and Flynn, there are no magic between them, and you can't belive that the heroes love each other. About this slap Flynn wrote in his autobiography My wicked wicked ways. The main slap happens during the rehearsal (director Curtiz like rehearsals) Davis didn't want Flynn in this production - she wants Olivier. It is interesting that it was an idea that in the famous movie Gone with the Wind main parts will play Davis and Flynn, but Davis didn't want to play with him. For some reasons she hated him.
    You are right about Flora Robson in The Sea Hawk - I too like her and think she is much better Elizabeth.
    Regards,
    Senta

• Hi Senta, great minds think alike ;-)) For my 1st time in watching Essex, I did expect more from it and was disappointed. I think of the 7 Flynn films I now have, this one is ranked in 7th place for least favorite.

I can't recall if I ever read My Wicked Wicked Ways or not. Not long ago, I spotted a copy of it at a used bookstore. I might go and see if they still have it as my interest is now piqued.

I think that Davis's thing against Errol was that she was jealous and would not admit that Flynn was going to be the "head star" at Warner Bros. One thing to her credit that I liked was that 20 years later on watching TPLOEAE, is that Bette finally realized and had said at how good of an actor Flynn really was.

Thank you for the name of that other lady who played the Queen. I thought she did an outstanding job and that she was a very good actress.

heh heh, I think Bette Davis would have hated me because I have never thought much of Sir Lawrence Olivier -- never been a fan of his though I have seen him in 1 or 2 movies that I did like.

Take care Senta & Cheers.

C.

• Hi Carl,
    I think you are right about Davis. And she didn't thought that Flynn was a good actor. I'm glad that she changed her mind.
    You will enjoy My wicked wicked ways - it is one of the best biographies written by an actor. And Flynn has a great adventurous life! May be not all he writes is truth, but it is faschinating. Of course Flynn was an other kind of a man as Duke. He hasn't strait moral obligations, he wanted to try everything - sometimes it is even schoking.
    I didn't belive to all claims surrounded his name, but some things he had done ( and he wrote about them) are wrong of course.
    Regards,
    Senta

• Hi Ringo and Senta

I thought Flora Robson did a good job as Elizabeth in the Sea Hawks. Although you are not a fan of Olivier if you get a chance or haven't seen it take a look at Fire over England with Olivier and Flora Robson again playing Elizabeth.

I think many of Oliviers early historical films are pretty good, especially Lady Hamilton with his then wife Vivian Liegh in the title role.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Arthur,
    I do like Olivier in the Lady Hamilton. But I was much disappointed by him in the Shakespearean parts, and he was highly honored by critics for them.
    Thank you for recommendation of Fire over England - I saw the title in the shop, but wasn't sure it is worth seeing. Now I shall bay it.
    Regards,
    Senta

• Hi Senta, yeah I too bet the Davis did feel somewhat jealous of Flynn because I bet she knew in the back of her mind that she no longer was Queen of Warner Brothers and was going to be de-throned by Flynn.

I think I will do a research online for a copy of Errol's Bio. My mother had a copy of it when she was living but after she passed away, one of my older brothers threw away all of her books including the bio's.

Best regards--C.

• Hi Arthur, she sure was great in that role. I don't not like Olivier as he is an excellent actor but, he was in so few films that I actually liked like: "A Bridge Too Far." Now, I do like his narraration of the entire "World At War" documentary series. That series is one of the best that have even been made about WWII. The only one documentary series I like better than "WAW" is: "Battleline."

I have heard of that movie Fire Over England but I have never had a chance to see it. I bet they both were great in the roles they played.

Take care and Cheers Arthur. C.

• Hi Ringo,
    After all our discussions and critical words I decide to see the film another time and yesterday evening I watched it. And it was a great pleasure for me. And I liked Betty Davis. May be we were too strick?
    It is a pity that your brother through away all books. I'm always thinking myself, when I die what will be with all things that are so dear to me, but have no meaning to the others. I'm always sorry about that.
    You can search Abebooks for Errols bio and it is often appears at e-bay. Only be sure that you got full edition. In some first editions parts were cut.
    Regards,
    Vera

• Hi Vera, glad you enjoyed watching TPLOEAE again. Being that when I watched it for the very first time just a few days ago, it will take time for me to think much differently on it and Bette Davis, than I do now. I think Bette Davis is a good actress and i'll have to see her in more than one film before i'll know if I would place her anywhere near the top of my favorites list.

Yeah, I was more than irritated with my brother for throwing away all her books. Most of what she read I would never read but, she did have an excellent collection of movie stars biographies. I remember she had Errol's book as well from people like: Charlton Heston and so many others. BTW, I have read Heston's book as well but it's been many years since I last read it.

Take care Vera--C.