What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,456,648 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Watched Run For Cover on Olive Films Blu Ray starring James Cagney.
    Superb transfer and a good taught western as you'd expect from Nicholas Ray.
    I may upset people but I often find James Cagney difficult to believe.

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• Welcome back, Dooley. "Terror in a Texas Town" has the goofiest face off since "Billy the Kid Meets Dracula".

My last western was a bit on the odd side, too - "The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean". It begins and ends with a bang, but the in between is a head scratcher, complete with a drunken bear, an albino gunfighter and a syrupy Andy Williams song called marmalade, molasses and honey.

We deal in lead, friend.

• That description made me laugh out loud!
    I so have to track that one down.

• Saskatchewan: Alan Ladd, Shelly Winters and good old Jay Silverheels.
    Love the richness of the colour on old films.
    It's Canadian but a Western. ;)

• Rooster Cogburn and The Lady. Well, if there are two old folks that "work" as well as these two do together, I just can't imagine them! They both had looked forward to doing another movie together, but the proper "vehicle" was apparently never found. It would have had to be something special, because that is they way they were with each other. They both, wanted to do all of their stunts, although, of course, they were not allowed to. They DID do more than most actors would have, especially at their ages and with Duke's trouble with keeping his body oxygenated at such high altitudes.

Don't tire of watching this. Love to hear Kate's voice and Duke's rapidly deteriorating one. Shows the super stars are human like the rest of us. He had really about lost his voice when he did the Shootist. Sure wish they had gotten one more movie out. And the one that Duke was planning with Ron Howard. Well, they both left us wonderful movies, shows, etc. We can be thankful every day for that. Keith

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Chisum. This movie has finally made me a real fan of Ben Johnson. I was unfortunate enough to see a movie very long ago where he gave what has been termed by reviewers as a wooden performance....and it was. Since then, little by little, I have been subjected to his acting because of this board. And, little by little, he has crept into my heart. I had become a pretty bonafide fan until I saw this movie Chisum. Now, I am caught....totally, hook, line, and sinker! His devotion as a long time friend to "Mr. Chisum" or "Mr. John Simpson Chisum", as he calls him when he is not happy with him or plain "John" when he is, plus his inane mumbling throughout the movie, has done it. Here is a pic of the two of them mumbling and accusing each other of doing it. That mumbling thing dang near steals the whole show, LOL! If you haven't seen this little movie, you sure need to. Aside for the serious part, it is a real hoot! Keith

BOTH OF THEM MUMBLING TO EACH OTHER AND BLAMING THE OTHER ONE!

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Chisum. This movie has finally made me a real fan of Ben Johnson. I was unfortunate enough to see a movie very long ago where he gave what has been termed by reviewers as a wooden performance....and it was. Since then, little by little, I have been subjected to his acting because of this board. And, little by little, he has crept into my heart. I had become a pretty bonafide fan until I saw this movie Chisum. Now, I am caught....totally, hook, line, and sinker! His devotion as a long time friend to "Mr. Chisum" or "Mr. John Simpson Chisum", as he calls him when he is not happy with him or plain "John" when he is, plus his inane mumbling throughout the movie, has done it. Here is a pic of the two of them mumbling and accusing each other of doing it. That mumbling thing dang near steals the whole show, LOL! If you haven't seen this little movie, you sure need to. Aside for the serious part, it is a real hoot! Keith

One of my favorite Ben Johnson roles. The other is as Cap Rountree in the made for television "The Sacketts" with Sam Elliot and Tom Selleck. Honorable mention to Tyree in the cavalry movies.

• More Eps of Branded. This is one of the big guests from the three I watched today: Eh HEM--he guested with Duke in a few movies like: Sands of Iwo Jima, Fort Apache, she Wore a Yellow Ribbon abd Big Jake. Think you can guess what the name is of this former Army Sergeant who was also a "poster boy" of one of the most famed of WWII Recruitment posters ever made.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Today I saw one with Jimmy Stewart, Maureen O'Hara and not Hayley but Juliet Mills, and I cannot recall the title. I'll have to IMDB it. It was something about bringing the first Hereford bull to the US.

There was a scene with the three underneath a buckboard with a cattle stampede running over it and no stunt doubles were used. Hal Needham set up that stunt and I was pleased to see how well it worked. The actors had no need to act in that scene. They were well scared as the cattle ran over the buckboard and jumped off. Stunts have always been fascinating.

We're burning moonlight.