What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,453,540 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Maverick Episode 8 hostage, first episode with Jack Kelly, I didn't know what to make of him at first but he was pretty good as the episode went on, definitely lacks some of the star qualities of Garner but I imagine i'll grow to like him with time, doubt i'll watch his individual episodes though.

Have to agree with you there Irish! I watched Maverick religiously as a child. Never could figure out why they added Jack Kelly. Actually made me angry back then because I felt he "messed up" my James Garner shows. Yep, was a big disappointment to me.

I finally found Park Avenue Logger with George O'Brien and Ward Bond. It was the shortest "short" I believe I have seen, but it was an enjoyable few minutes. I had never heard of Mountain Men with Chuck Heston and Brian Keith, but it was pretty true to the actual Mountain Men of old and I dearly love both actors, so that was a great $6 find. Found a 2 disc set of The Guns of Navarone and Coop's "The Pride of the Yankees", story of Lou Gehrig with Babe Ruth playing himself, for $3 each. Enjoyed and recommend them all.

Watched A Guy Named Joe again. Oh, that is a super movie for me. Somehow, the script made the "after death" part undertoned enough so that is wasn't "smaltzy". And Ward was a bit like the "Major Seth Adams" he would later become.......strong yet very tender..........I believe he was beginning to develop that special quiet, soft yet deep, resonant voice that he consoled so many Wagon Train Passengers with. It is now one of my favorite Ward movies. I have two lobby cards from it...........plan to eventually get them all. No one will ever be able to do a good impression of that voice...Wagon Train tried when a couple of Ward's episodes had not been completely finished before his death, the speaking parts. It was an abysmal failure. Nope, that special "consoling" voice he developed will never be duplicated and it became so much a part of him. KEITH

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, it was good but not great as I had been led to believe. It had some nice scenes and some good acting but there was no reason to drag it out for nearly three hours. Not a patch on the classic Westerns but still worth a watch.

I agree very much. I was highly disappointed in it.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I think The Big Country has a beautiful score there's just too much of it . It's distracting. Jerome Moross was the composer. I don't know him. But he wrote the theme to Wagon Train, also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQTH3a0mjR8

William Wyler only made one western so he made it long.

he also made the westerner with friendely persuasion with gary cooper he also made hell's heroes a pre three godfathers and made a few silent westerns he made a few westerns

• Yesterday evening I watched Jim Garner's "Support Your Local Sheriff". Although his name in the movie wasn't Bret Maverick, he gave a good imitation of that role.

De gustibus non est disputandum