What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,467,549 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• "Riding Shotgun" (1954)
    -Randolph Scott

Plot: IMDB
    When a stagecoach guard tries to warn a town of an imminent raid by a band of outlaws, the people mistake him for one of the gang

Phantom's Review: Minor league Randolph Scott film. The acting is good, but the plot is simple, the action is minimal and the attempts at humor fall flat.
    And Scott does a truly unnecessary and annoying voice over narration. I like Scott but this is not one of his better films
    --

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• "Pillars of the Sky", a great 1956 cavalry vs. Indians film, full of outstanding stunt work. Only drawback is one lousy music score. As I was watching it, I noticed how many of Duke's former and future co-stars were present - Ward Bond, Terry Wilson, Walter Coy, Willis Bouchey, Olive Carey, Michael Ansara and, best of all, Lee Marvin, in a star making performance.
    Good show.

We deal in lead, friend.

• "Whiskey And Ghosts" (1976)

Plot: IMDB

A snake-oil salesman is chased across the desert by a gang of Mexican bandits. He finds out, however, that he is being protected by the spirits of Davey Crockett, Pecos Bill and Johnny Appleseed.

Phantom's Review: Truly god awful supernatural western comedy. The film fails on all counts. avoid it like the plague.

• "Pillars of the Sky", a great 1956 cavalry vs. Indians film, full of outstanding stunt work. Only drawback is one lousy music score. As I was watching it, I noticed how many of Duke's former and future co-stars were present - Ward Bond, Terry Wilson, Walter Coy, Willis Bouchey, Olive Carey, Michael Ansara and, best of all, Lee Marvin, in a star making performance.
    Good show.

We deal in lead, friend.

Great movie. I havent seen that great movie in eons. If I recall correctly? Lee Marvin is Irish and a Sergeant and likes to tilt the bottle a bit too much. ;-))

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• That's the one, Ringo. The scene on top of the mesa when Ward Bond and Jeff Chandler share a canteen full of homemade with the wounded Marvin waiting for the Indian attack is classic.
    It was on Encorewestern channel but, to my knowledge, has never made it to DVD.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Watched "Wild Bill", another Jeff Bridges Western about the legendary Wild Bill Hickok. Wasn't bad but had some really weird cinematography which alternated between color and black/white. Don't know how true it portrayed the actual Hickok's life but according to this film, Wild Bill had bad (and worsening) eyesight when he was shot by Jack McCall in Deadwood and he was a frequent smoker of opium.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• "The Long Ride Home" (2003)
    -Randy Travis

Plot:
    Mistaken for a gunfighter, farmer Jack Fowler kills a man in self defense, then abandons his family and goes on the run and leads the the life of a shootist until he finally makes his way back home.

Phantom's Review: Despite being beautifully filmed and having a good cast, this film is very slow moving. It lacks any real action or tension. It's not a BAD movie, it's just..kinda dull. Randy Travis does sing a nice song over the ending credits.

• Watched "Wild Bill", another Jeff Bridges Western about the legendary Wild Bill Hickok. Wasn't bad but had some really weird cinematography which alternated between color and black/white. Don't know how true it portrayed the actual Hickok's life but according to this film, Wild Bill had bad (and worsening) eyesight when he was shot by Jack McCall in Deadwood and he was a frequent smoker of opium.

Two things about this post - I just realized I should have put it in the Western thread instead of this one (old age does that :wink_smile:).

Secondly, the movie contains a very lewd sex act between Wild Bill and Calamity Jane, rendering it unsuitable for viewing by kids.

• Two things about this post - I just realized I should have put it in the Western thread instead of this one (old age does that :wink_smile:).

Secondly, the movie contains a very lewd sex act between Wild Bill and Calamity Jane, rendering it unsuitable for viewing by kids.

Jim the 'old age' problem is solved, here are your posts in the correct thread, how did you do that??

Also here is our profile about the said:-
    Western Legends- Wild Bill Hickok

and it mentions this:-

On 2nd August, 1876, Wild Bill Hickok was playing cards in Deadwood.
    Jack McCall, seeking revenge for the death of his brother,
    shot Hickok in the back of the head. At the time of his death,
    Hickok was holding a pair of black aces and a pair of eights,
    and this became known as "A Dead Man's Hand".

As Wild Bill was playing cards at the time, it seems unlikely his eyesight was bad or was it??

Jim thanks for your posts which I have also copied over to that profile

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 3 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Jim the 'old age' problem is solved, here are your posts in the correct thread, how did you do that??

Jim thanks for your posts which I have also copied over to that profile

Keith,
    Many thanks for correcting my flirtation with Alzheimers. Since I had a razor-sharp memory at a younger age, my progressive loss of that much-valued capability sure is frustrating.
    Jim