What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,467,210 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• rio lobo,iv'e watched tis western 1000 times and i never coped that when john wayne is talking to bill williams in the sheriff's office,a wanted poster with the name of hondo lane on it.the same character he played in hondo

• and Olivia Wilde is never hard on the eyes. :wink_smile:

Mark

Yep! You got that right!

I might need to change my review because it sounds like I didn't like it much (I would never make a very good critic). I really did enjoy the movie. I thought they got the sci-fi/horror part of the story right. My problem was with the cowboys! I just don't think modern Hollywood writers understand what makes a good Western character. They're not bad characters, they're just modern dark comic book characters that lacked that cowboy sense of humor and "let's go kick their butt" type attitude that would have worked better (IMHO) in this type of story. But besides that, as far as "Weird Western" movies go, this is probably the best one in a few years.

• The extended cut of "Major Dundee", which is gloriously remastered. Despite all its flaws, this one has always intrigued me. The leads are terrific and the supporting cast - Warren Oates, Ben Johnson, Slim Pickens, Dub Taylor, R.G. Armstrong, L.Q. Jones, Michael Pate and especially James Coburn - are all at the top of their form.

We deal in lead, friend.

• The extended cut of "Major Dundee", which is gloriously remastered. Despite all its flaws, this one has always intrigued me. The leads are terrific and the supporting cast - Warren Oates, Ben Johnson, Slim Pickens, Dub Taylor, R.G. Armstrong, L.Q. Jones, Michael Pate and especially James Coburn - are all at the top of their form.

We deal in lead, friend.

Hi Gorch, fully agree with you on Maj Dundee. Im currently in Bandera, about 4 hrs drive from Corpus, as im up this way about to get the last of my stuff to move. Anyway, brought a few Dvds with me one includes Maj Dundee ;-))

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

We deal in lead, friend.

I will include this movie in our
    Classic Movie Westerns

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Keith, it's a great idea to include this as a classic. There is a lot of debate about the different versions that have been foisted on an unsuspecting audience; one heck of a lot of funny anecdotes about the making of it; and how efforts have been made to restore it. This is a movie that is admired for what it could have been and cursed for what it is. Heston himself was torn about the final film and wrote in his journal that whenever it showed on TV, he had to watch it because "there was something there".

We deal in lead, friend.

• "Cowboys And Aliens" (2011)
    -Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford, Olivia Wilde

Plot: IMDB
    1873. Arizona Territory. A stranger with no memory of his past stumbles into the hard desert town of Absolution. The only hint to his history is a mysterious shackle that encircles one wrist. What he discovers is that the people of Absolution don't welcome strangers, and nobody makes a move on its streets unless ordered to do so by the iron-fisted Colonel Dolarhyde (Ford). It's a town that lives in fear. But Absolution is about to experience fear it can scarcely comprehend as the desolate city is attacked by marauders from the sky. Screaming down with breathtaking velocity and blinding lights to abduct the helpless one by one, these monsters challenge everything the residents have ever known. Now, the stranger they rejected is their only hope for salvation. As this gunslinger slowly starts to remember who he is and where he's been...

Phantom's Review: HOT DAMN! This is the coolest movie I've seen in years. Now, everyone here, should know by now, that I love westerns. but I also love Science Fiction/Horror movies too, and I think it's very cool when these genres are mixed, unfortunately, 8 times out of 10 the result is pretty bad, but not this time. Plenty of great western action, good story line and excellent special FX. Harrison Ford was born to play in westerns, Daniel Craig is also very impressive and Olivia Wilde is absolutely gorgeous. This film may not be for everyone, but for me it was awesome.
    --

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• "Big Jake". What a great introduction for Duke's character. Have you ever noticed that Bernstein's main theme isn't introduced until Wayne is on the screen?

We deal in lead, friend.