What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,467,394 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Recently I read Harry Carey's autobiography wherein he tells the tale of making the film, Three Godfathers. Somehow I've missed seeing that film. I need to get hold of it because he piqued my interest in it with all the challenges he wrote about in his book.

John Ford was an fascinating and complex character. I've read Maureen O'Hara's biography as well. It would seem she never figured out Ford's penchant for, for lack of a better term, messing with people's heads. She was a great mark for him all her life. Clearly he had a great time interfering with her life and she was cannon fodder and a people pleaser. It's unfortunate she never compared notes with some of her other actors. She may have learned much about her director...

Its a great film and MUCH MUCH better than the original.

PS, was too lazy to dig anything else out and rewatched: Rio Bravo again since it was in the DvD player ;-))

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Escape From Fort Bravo w/ Williams: Holden, Campbell, Demarrest, John Forsythe, Richard Anderson, Carl Benton Reid & the guy who played Floyd, der Barber on: The Andy Griffith Show and also another Western whose name escapes me at this time.

• Took a chance on "Advance to the Rear", a Warner made to order dvd with Glenn Ford and Stella Stevens. Obviously a comedy and set during the civil war, it killed a couple hours with some mild humor, a toss away sample of which has Whit Bissell named Capt. Queeg.
    To my surprise, it featured Duke's very own Chuck Roberson who must have been paid a fortune for his stunt work alone.
    Can't recommend it though unless you have an undying, er, affection, for a gorgeous Stella Stevens.

We deal in lead, friend.

• "The Searchers" on optimal Blu Ray equipment. Sublime!

One of the commentators in the extras pointed out that the movie isn't just about Ethan's obsession but also Marty's growth to become a man with enough moral authority to challenge and change Ethan. That's why it was called "The Searchers" and not "The Searcher".

We deal in lead, friend.

• Took a chance on "Advance to the Rear", a Warner made to order dvd with Glenn Ford and Stella Stevens. Obviously a comedy and set during the civil war, it killed a couple hours with some mild humor, a toss away sample of which has Whit Bissell named Capt. Queeg.
    To my surprise, it featured Duke's very own Chuck Roberson who must have been paid a fortune for his stunt work alone.
    Can't recommend it though unless you have an undying, er, affection, for a gorgeous Stella Stevens.

We deal in lead, friend.

Its been probably about 20 or so years since i last saw it so I dont remember much. I do remember liking it but, not sure how much? I guess I liked it becaus eof Glenn Ford. Now if they would only release Imitation General--then his best Military comedy trio would be out-as Don't Go Near the Water is also out-and im ordering that after Christmas.

• Still on Season 1 of: ZORRO and loving it. Some guest stars include: Jack ELam, Michael Pate, John Dehner, John Doucette, and a few other "recognizable faces."

• Finally got around to watching Cowboys & Aliens last week. Thought it started out pretty good, then it seemed to lag towards the end. Sure it was far fetched, but, it made for a nice what if kind of story.

• Hi

Horizons West with Robert Ryan and Rock Hudson .It shows how bad television was on New Years Eve that my wife even sat down and watched it, althought to be fair she wasn't feeling 100%.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low