What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,467,475 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Watched Bad Day at Black Rock, was very good. Spencer Tracy and Walter Brennan in particular were great in it. Always good to see the bad guys get their come uppance. Some great scenes and dialogue.

Bad Day at Black Rock is a stunning film. I must look for that one and see it again with my son. It's definitely a classic one against bigotry and race hatred.

Thanks for bringing it to mind. I've put it in my Netflix queue.

We're burning moonlight.

• They had great chemistry, for sure.

Genesis, one of the top 5 episodes of Have Gun - Will Travel was on STARZ. This episode tells the story of how Paladin came to be a knight for hire and how he got his name.

Oh, that was a great one. I had always wondered about all of his trappings. That explained it all. Did you see his face when he realized what he had done? Have watched it many times. Good post! KPKEITH

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• The Searchers....still watching it for over the hundredth time. Will send it back today. But, next time I get it, bet I will find more that I have missed these last two times I got it. Need to get the Searchers Notes DVD now.
    But next is the Horse Soldiers. I missed something last time I had it. Do you all know the scene where Fred Kennedy died? Took me a while to find it. KPKEITH Still no profilepic, darn.

• Bill, I watched "Rocky Mountain" myself a couple days ago. It's a good one.

Last night I ran " A Thunder of Drums" with Richard Boone, Charles Bronson, Slim Pickens, George Hamilton and Richard Chamberlain.

I love cavalry movies and this is one of the best.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Oh, that was a great one. I had always wondered about all of his trappings. That explained it all. Did you see his face when he realized what he had done? Have watched it many times. Good post! KPKEITH

Today I watched another favourite: The Fifth Bullet, with Ben Johnson. This episode was written by Harry Julian Fink, and for once a frontier woman acted in character. Richard Boone's young son, Peter, appears as Ben Johnson's son. This is one of two appearances Peter Boone made in Have Gun - Will Travel.

Ben Johnson helped Richard Boone improve his riding skills before he auditioned for the role of Paladin. Boone held acting classes during the run of HGWT. Ben Johnson attended them. Boone had a say in the actors who were cast in guest starring roles in the series.

Dorothy Dells in the role of Emmy takes up a weapon in defense of her family. This is one of the few episodes wherein a woman who has taken care of herself for 8 years and raised a son alone acts realistically. :owned:Most of the time female characters shriek helplessly and wait to be rescued by men in the manner of women in the Fifties.

Oh, yes, I noticed his expression. That was the first time Paladin realised he was fighting on the wrong side. From that point on he made certain he was aligned with the side of good.

:wink: Totally awesome. Did you know that Paladin's on the list of 100 best loved television characters? Still?

We're burning moonlight.

• Hi Peridot, Thanks muchly for the extra info on Dick Boone. Didn't know that Ben helped him, etc. That will go into the book and you will be noted as the provider! Never liked Dick until I saw him in HGWT, then it took a bit until the character caught on. I watched every single episode that Netflix had, and most a lot more than once. One of my favorites was a dark one that had Paladin taking a sheep herder in by RR, and they stopped in the little town of JODY?...was that it? It was a two parter and Paladin got stomped into the dirt, including crushing his gun hand, (loved when he told the sheriff, this was his profession and he could use his left hand as well as his right)....great episodes. Loved when he got Malaria also and met up with the gypsies, (remember us women just LOVE to look after our heroes when they are hurt). Although, as many times as he was hit on the head, I don't know how he didn't have permanent brain damage!
    Another favorite was when Ken Curtis came to town with a half ownership of a swanky "saloon". He was in "Festus" mode. The LOOKS on their faces when he took up the autoharp and played and sang! That was priceless.......the fights were pretty good also. I will look for the Ben Johnson episodes.
    By the way, somewhere, someone said they didn't have cable. I got rid of mine when I cut back....too expensive, and I can't get TV reception out here. So, I joined Netflix. You can do a 30 day trial. It is great. A lot can be streamed in or you can pay a little more and have DVDs sent to your house. I keep them for sometimes a month going over and over them. Also,you can buy a box for your TV so you can get the streamed ones there instead of on your computer.
    No, didn't know he was on that list but am not surprised AT ALL. You know, he had kind of a Ward Bond type appeal, if you leave off the high falutin' part. He was rough, gravely voice, yet could show great tenderness and compassion. Both laughed very heartily and easily. My, I never thought of that...comparing the two. Amazing what conversation can bring out. What do you think? KP KEITH

Edited once, last by Hawkswill: spelling and Netflix addition ().

• Bad Day at Black Rock is a stunning film. I must look for that one and see it again with my son. It's definitely a classic one against bigotry and race hatred.

Thanks for bringing it to mind. I've put it in my Netflix queue.

No problem, it really is great, some great speeches in it on morals and what it is to be a man, Tracy has a great air of authority to him without doing much. The scene where he revealed himself to be an expert martial artist was especially enjoyable. I hope you and your son enjoy it!

• Hi Peridot, Thanks muchly for the extra info on Dick Boone. Didn't know that Ben helped him, etc. That will go into the book and you will be noted as the provider! Never liked Dick until I saw him in HGWT, then it took a bit until the character caught on. I watched every single episode that Netflix had, and most a lot more than once. One of my favorites was a dark one that had Paladin taking a sheep herder in by RR, and they stopped in the little town of JODY?...was that it? It was a two parter and Paladin got stomped into the dirt, including crushing his gun hand, (loved when he told the sheriff, this was his profession and he could use his left hand as well as his right)....great episodes. Loved when he got Malaria also and met up with the gypsies, (remember us women just LOVE to look after our heroes when they are hurt). Although, as many times as he was hit on the head, I don't know how he didn't have permanent brain damage!
    Another favorite was when Ken Curtis came to town with a half ownership of a swanky "saloon". He was in "Festus" mode. The LOOKS on their faces when he took up the autoharp and played and sang! That was priceless.......the fights were pretty good also. I will look for the Ben Johnson episodes.
    By the way, somewhere, someone said they didn't have cable. I got rid of mine when I cut back....too expensive, and I can't get TV reception out here. So, I joined Netflix. You can do a 30 day trial. It is great. A lot can be streamed in or you can pay a little more and have DVDs sent to your house. I keep them for sometimes a month going over and over them. Also,you can buy a box for your TV so you can get the streamed ones there instead of on your computer.
    No, didn't know he was on that list but am not surprised AT ALL. You know, he had kind of a Ward Bond type appeal, if you leave off the high falutin' part. He was rough, gravely voice, yet could show great tenderness and compassion. Both laughed very heartily and easily. My, I never thought of that...comparing the two. Amazing what conversation can bring out. What do you think? KP KEITH

The only sequential two-parter they did on HGWT is called A Quiet Night in Town. Yes, the town was called Jody. Very good of you to recall. I'm afraid I'm not as familiar with Ward Bond as you. All I know is what I read in Dobe Carey's autobiography about him, really not a lot of information other than he was much loved by John Wayne and others with whom he worked. He must have been a wonderful man.
    Here's some additional information on that episode: Sidney Pollack, a close friend of Boone, was the actor who slammed down the rubber rifle to injure Paladin. Because Pollack wasn't allowed to wear his glasses while filming, he smashed Boone's hand with the prop rather than miss him as he was supposed to do. Boone had to have his hand and wrist x-rayed to determine whether it was broken from the blow. The pain we saw onscreen may have been real rather than acting. I've been unable to determine whether the x-ray was taken immediately or delayed until shooting was finished. From what I've read about Boone, it's likely he finished working before having medical care and it's now too late to inquire of Mr Pollack.

Pollack was still apologetic after all those years. They remained close friends after the accident. He did wonder whether the reason he was never asked back for another appearance on the series might have been connected with Boone's smashed wrist.

I do have the (snail mail) address of David Rothel, who wrote the bio of Richard Boone. He may know the answer to this question, or not. If we can contact one another off list I'd be glad to share it with you and you might ask it of him, if he's still living. It's a question that I didn't think to ask when I wrote him before. He was kind enough to answer a question I had...but then again, I have another idea. I'll have to get back to you about this one.

A while back I began a count of Paladin's kills and concussions. My autistic son has been seriously ill nearly a year and that's interfered with my research ability. One day I hope to return to my counting coup again soon.

However, I was successful in searching out the names of the horses used in HGWT. I posted them on the FAQ page of the IMDB HGWT page. That search took over six months but I learned a lot of interesting things along the way. The screen name for Paladin's horse was Rafter, BTW, and he never referred to his horse by name in any episode I have screened. There is a single one I haven't seen, so unless Paladin says Rafter in that one, he's unlike any other screen cowboy. Paladin broke the mould with his dark blue (in the first season), later black trail clothes, villain's mustache and no-name horse. Isn't it time for a remake?

We're burning moonlight.

• "Sacred Ground" with Tim McIntire, Jack Elam and L.Q. Jones. The Encore Western Channel ran this today and it was new to me. It's about a mountain man who trespasses on sacred Indian burial mounds. Sound familiar?

It was a bit slow in spots but turned out to be interesting. I think it was made in 1983.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Dallas. W/ Gary Cooper as an Ex-Confederate Officer-turned into a Lawman. Pretty good western with Raymond Massey as the Bad guy (as is normal) as well as Steve Cochran as another henchman.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..