What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,474,467 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Well, Keith, watched that myself just a bit ago, so don't need to know what it was about. But for those new folks who haven't seen it, it is a 1950 Jimmy Stewart movie. He negotiated a truce with Cochise to let the Mail go through, but there are multiple episodes with Geronimo who breaks off from the main tribe. Involved movie, but, I thought very good. It was my first intro to Jimmy Stewart in a western many years ago. Worth a watch in my opinion. Other Keith

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Well, Keith, watched that myself just a bit ago, so don't need to know what it was about. But for those new folks who haven't seen it, it is a 1950 Jimmy Stewart movie. He negotiated a truce with Cochise to let the Mail go through, but there are multiple episodes with Geronimo who breaks off from the main tribe. Involved movie, but, I thought very good. It was my first intro to Jimmy Stewart in a western many years ago. Worth a watch in my opinion. Other Keith

...and here is is
    Classic Movie Westerns- Broken Arrow

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I spent the past two days watching the Blu-Ray version of "Lonesome Dove".

I may be wrong since it's been several years since I watched the original but for some reason this version seemed as if it was missing parts. At any rate, I enjoyed it AGAIN.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Stumpy, you may be right. According to Blu Ray Review, the running time is 372 minutes. However, the IMDB posts the running time as 384 minutes.
    I don't have the Blue yet, so I can't do a comparison.
    My money is on you.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Watched The Naked Spur with James Stewart, was interesting to see a Western with such a small cast and set entirely in the wilderness, not my favorite Stewart Western by any means but a good watch all the same. Good dialogue/banter among the characters.

It's a great, taught little film. Check out the other Mann- Stewart collaborations such as man from Laramie and winchesters 73 to name a few. Essential viewing if you're into westerns.

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• Hellgate with Ward Bond and Sterling Hayden.
    Great little western which I had not seen before.
    Very interesting as the storyline has huge parallels with the John Ford classic The Prisoner of Shark Island.

• Hellgate with Ward Bond and Sterling Hayden.
    Great little western which I had not seen before.
    Very interesting as the storyline has huge parallels with the John Ford classic The Prisoner of Shark Island.

Sterling Hayden was 6'5"and Jim Arness 6'7", I think. Yet, seems like most of the time Sterling looked taller than Jim. Poor Ward was only 6'2 1/2" he was a big man but didn't look so big in this movie. Really nice little movie! TP

Keith

• Watched a Fistful of Dynamite tonight, I don't think iv'e ever seen a film that can be cut into good and bad so easily, the first hour dragged and dragged and really did little for the story, from the point of the supposed bank robbery on thought it was a good movie, and I always enjoy James Coburn. Really could have managed to get into the story a little earlier though.

• Watched a Fistful of Dynamite tonight, I don't think iv'e ever seen a film that can be cut into good and bad so easily, the first hour dragged and dragged and really did little for the story, from the point of the supposed bank robbery on thought it was a good movie, and I always enjoy James Coburn. Really could have managed to get into the story a little earlier though.

I too have always like James Coburn. Yesterday was his birthday. He would have been 84, I believe he died in 2002. He was in well over 50 movies and about twice as many TV shows. He won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor.
    He was great in so many things! Happy belated Birthday James! KPKEITH

• Sterling Hayden was 6'5"and Jim Arness 6'7", I think. Yet, seems like most of the time Sterling looked taller than Jim. Poor Ward was only 6'2 1/2" he was a big man but didn't look so big in this movie. Really nice little movie! TP

Keith

Keith, I read over on the IMDB Gunsmoke board that James Arness was 6'6" rather than 6'7" in height. Public information tended to be a tad exaggerated, but whenever he was asked personally he always responded with 'Six foot six.' He seems to have been a sweet and honest man.

If I had the conversation bookmarked I'd share the link with you but I'll have to hunt it up. Don't let me forget it, but it may take a while. My right wrist is in a splint due to a car incident (accident which happened inside a car while it wasn't moving). It's not broken but it's injured enough that it affects my typing. It affects my typing and my life a great deal since I'm right-handed.

We're burning moonlight.

• Keith, I read over on the IMDB Gunsmoke board that James Arness was 6'6" rather than 6'7" in height. Public information tended to be a tad exaggerated, but whenever he was asked personally he always responded with 'Six foot six.' He seems to have been a sweet and honest man.

Pals Of The Saddle- James Arness
    And from his Biography on IMDb,
    we have him listed as 6' 7"

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Sterling Hayden was 6'5"and Jim Arness 6'7", I think. Yet, seems like most of the time Sterling looked taller than Jim. Poor Ward was only 6'2 1/2" he was a big man but didn't look so big in this movie. Really nice little movie! TP

Keith

Thanks Keith, I have only discovered Sterling Hayden recently having watched johnny guitar and Hellgate recently and will now search out some of his other films. If anyone knows of which ones to watch that'd be great!

• The Command w/ Guy Madison, James Whitmore Sr, Carl Benton-Reid & Harvey Lembeck.

DvD cover art:

Nice combat scene:

Sad that he has been gone since 1996:

James Whitmore & Guy Madison:

Great image:

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Edited 3 times, last by The Ringo Kid ().