What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,467,479 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• "The Kid From Texas" (1950)
    - Audie Murphy. Gail Storm

Yet another "true" account of the life of Billy The Kid

Phantom's Review: Like most of Hollywood's "Billy The Kid" movies, this one bends and stretches the facts quite a bit, but Murphy does a good job and there's a good bit of action. Very entertaining.

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• "Sabata" (1969)
    -Lee Van Cleef

Plot: Wikipedia
    Lee Van Cleef stars as a mostly silent, loner gunman who foils a plan by some leaders of a small Texas town to rob their own bank and sell the town to the railroad. William Berger co-stars as Banjo, an opposing gunman.

Phantom's Review: One of the best of the spaghetti westerns. Plenty of action and humor. One of Lee Van Cleef's best characters.

• "Buffalo Gun"

A low budget "B Western" from the late 50's. Not very good, but it's something for my Country Music collection. The stars were Marty Robbins (one of my favorite classic country/western music guys), Carl Smith and Web Pierce, who were big stars of the "Grande Ol' Opry" at the time. Wayne Morris and Don "Red" Barry were the bad guys.

• Just bought a copy of High Noon this day at WM for $6 bucks. Because of that, this will be the last Western I watched as soon as I get to see it before end of the weekend ;-)) I never did care much for this movie till about a year or so ago and saw it again and loved it.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Quigley Down Under-pretty much has all the western elements at least. Selleck is great in a role originally intended for Steve McQueen. Nice action, and great music.

• Just finished watching The Outlaw Josey Wales for the umpteenth time, and as I type this, Jeramiah Johnson is on. Im no fan of the actor who plays the title character but he is actually good in this movie. Of course I speaketh of Robert Redford.

• Ralph Nelson's ultra controversial "Soldier Blue" on DVD. Found it to be not horrifying at all, but it had obviously trimmed. Candice Bergen acts so woodenly that one suspects Charlie McCarthy was her real brother.
    Skip it and watch Nelson's "Duel at Diablo".

We deal in lead, friend.

• Hi Gorch, and loved that bit about Candice Bergen and her puppettmaster Father ;-))

Ive been a busy bee in collecting. I should now be getting 2 Stills from Prisoner of War, 6 stills from: The Fighting 69th (James Cagney) on top of the other recents. Oh nad those 7 stills from Von Ryans-are now mine ;-))

Sorry for being off topic but the last moviee I saw was a repeat viewing of: The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad as well as Mysterious Island. Im on a Ray Harryhausen kick this month ;-))

The last western I saw was The Last Outpost w/ Ronald Reagan and Bruce Bennett.

• "The Man Who Came Back" (2008)

Plot: IMDB

Based on the Thibodaux Massacre, the second bloodiest labor strike in US history. Following the Civil War, recently freed slaves working on a Louisiana plantation are worked relentlessly but paid minimum wages. Sometimes paid only in "script," worthless money accepted only at the plantation's overpriced store, the workers soon become indebted to plantation owners. This creates an inescapable situation for these freemen looking to gain real freedom. In an attempt to better their lives, the workers strike. This leads to massive retaliation by the most powerful men in the town including the town sheriff (Armande Assante); the preacher (Al Hayter); power-hungry Billy Duke (James Patrick Stuart) and his vigilante group of thugs. White overseer Reese Paxton (Eric Braeden) steps up to demand justice for his workers, but Dukes rage turns on Paxton and his family. Despite assistance from a Yankee attorney (Billy Zane), Paxton is convicted by Billy's father - the corrupt Judge Duke (George Kennedy). After being sent to prison, beaten within inches of his life, and having endured merciless emotional torture, Paxton "comes back" to seek revenge.

Phantom's Review: Mediocre film at it's best. Unoriginal plot, and very tired looking action scenes. Armand Assante mumbles his way through his role. The only real bright spot was Billy Zane as a cowardly attorney. A disappointment.

• FIRECREEK 1968
    James Stewart,Henry Fonda & Inger Stevens.
    Henry is the bad guy with James in a role very much like in the Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• Hang 'em High with brother Clint Eastwood. One of my favorite classic Eastwood movie.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• The one with the very long title;

"The Assasination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford In a Movie So Slow and So Boring It's As If You're Starring AT An Oil Painting With a Sound Track for Three Plus Hours"

Wasn't too crazy about this one!

• The one with the very long title;

"The Assasination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford In a Movie So Slow and So Boring It's As If You're Starring AT An Oil Painting With a Sound Track for Three Plus Hours"

Wasn't too crazy about this one!

Agreed