Movie Review For:

There are 4 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,792 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Captain Blood starred the following greats:

Errol Flynn as Captain Peter Blood.
    Olivia de Havilland as Arabella Bishop.
    Basil Rathbone as Captain Levasseur.
    Lionel Atwill as Colonel Bishop.
    Guy Kibbee as Henry Hagthorpe.
    J. Carroll Naish as Cahusac.

I also recognized Donald Meek as one of the Doctors and also the French actor: Louis Mercer as one of the pirates.

I have been greatly impressed with this movie since the first time I got to watch it. I thought it had many great twists in it that one normally would not expect. For one, the main character: Peter Blood, was a Doctor. I liked how he was placed into slavery & bought by de Havilland's character. BTW, I think Olivia de Havilland was 18 years old at the time she made this movie.

I liked how Flynn's character constantly developed into what he eventually bacame. From Doctor to slave to freedom fighter to pirate to the "Govnuh" of the Island that he had been a slave on.

I also enjoyed (though I thought that Rathbone should have had more on-screen time) Basil Rathbone's character. Basil Rathbone makes one of few actors who played a Pirate--actually was perfect as a pirate.

This movie never slowed down enough for me to lose any interest at all and is full of action. I also like that Flynn's character never lost all touch with his past as a doctor.

Overall, i'd give this movie a 10 out of 10.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi Carl,
    Thank you for comment. "Captain Blood" is a great film, one of my all times favorite. In my childhood the Sabatini's novel was one of my favorite books. The film is not very close to the novel, not in the plot, but in Captain Blood characteristic. But I like the way how Flynn portrayed him. And it is a great spirit in this film. You know it was the first leading part for Flynn, which brought him to glory in one night.
    Regards,
    Senta

• Hi

Not one of my favourites but for one of his early starring parts he was pretty good. Also note he had a clean lip, no moustache which made him look imo quite strange, adding the moustache certainly added to his character.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Arthur,
    In the novel Captain Blood was black haired and blue eyed irishman. He had moustache.
    Regards,
    Senta

• Arthur, I was sorta thinking about the thin mustache that many stars had back then.

In my mind I was going through a list of those who looked funny with such a mustache and those who actually looked good.

Those who looked good IMO were:

Errol Flynn.
    David Niven.
    Douglas Fairbanks Jr.

Thouse who IMO did not look so good w/ a pencil thin mustache were:

Frederick March.
    Robert Taylor.
    Victor McLaglen.

Just to name a few.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..