The Quiet Man (1952)

There are 470 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 387,408 times. The latest Post () was by Tbone.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• We missed these questions the first time Tbone posted them, and thought maybe others did, too, so we are bringing Tbone's post back up for your consideration.

The first question seems to have been satisfactorily answered.

lenrehn made reference to a site somewhere that might answer the second question, but maybe someone out there has more information. Sorry to say, we don't know the answer.

Chester :newyear:

• In Professor Des MacHale’s fantastic book “The Complete Guide To The Quiet Man” could you read this about Father Paul’s reading from a book.
    “We now switch to the interior of Dan Tobin’s cottage which is a studio scene. The gaffer himself is meant to be a deathbed, slowly expiring, though from the frontal camera angle he looks pretty healthy. By his bedside Father Paul is reading, not from the prayers for the dying as was originally intended but from a bloodthirsty Celtic saga. In the little bedroom are several shawled crying quietly and in particular there is Dan Tobin’s daughter played by Mimi Doyle.

• About those horses in the film can i only say they were trained by a man named John Daly which I also could read in same book. All I can do is to guess the breed on that horses and there is a breed named Connemara Pony’s which have their origin from horses who was shimmying in to land from a Spanish armada in the time the Queen Elizabeth the I were ruler in England. There is lot of sites about Connemara Pony’s on the internet. I had fault in one thing earlier and that was that when I were telling that breed is only in west Ireland, that was very fault when they are even on many places here in Europe including Sweden. So the gist had been that they maybe were by that breed Connemara Pony’s.
    Len

Originally posted by Tbone@May 29 2006, 02:45 PM
    The other quest is does anyone know what book Fr. Paul is reading from when he is visiting the death bed of the character played by Francis Ford?

[snapback]31661[/snapback]

Hi lenrehn,

Are you able to anser this question, for Tbone?

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• The name on the book can’t I and probability not other now living person tells to you. That only I could find out in Professor Des MacHales book is that Father Paul were reading from a bloodthirsty Celtic saga. I think that is so close you can go just now. That book is not named in some books and Maureen O’Haras webmaster June Parker Beck was telling she had not a clue about it. If that book had been mentioned so should she know what book it was?
    Len

• Hi Keith
    I have spread out your question to Mohara Forum and The Quiet Man Movie Club and maybe there is someone who has a replay to that. But I don’t really know. I has not more to tell you about it just now.
    Len

Originally posted by lenrehn@Oct 15 2006, 11:32 AM
    Hi Keith
    I have spread out your question to Mohara Forum and The Quiet Man Movie Club and maybe there is someone who has a replay to that. But I don’t really know. I has not more to tell you about it just now.
    Len

[snapback]35951[/snapback]

Hej,

Thanks so far, please keep us posted.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I got this answer from June Parker Beck but nothing from The Quit Man Movie Club and I guess there not will be some answer too. June’s answer had other great news so I like to put in it here.
    Len - Since my last post I did speak with Ms. O'Hara and she confirms it was a bible or prayer book in keeping with the mission/duty of the Priest, Father Paul. I didn't realize that Mr. MacHale published otherwise. It is interesting to note that this was one of few interiors that were actually shot in Ireland. They found an old empty house in Cong and used that.

• It’s my pleasure. That movie is my absolute favorite and in five to seven years have I made so big research I could about just that grandiose movie and even trying to learn English with the film as a textbooks and teaching aids. In my interest is even all that who was happen in Ireland in shooting time and all that locale places they where using.
    Len

• CONG

Cong was the setting and the filming location
    for John Ford's 1952 Oscar-winning film,

The Quiet Man

Click below for

ire_reg_mayo_map.gif

Cong- Photos

Information from
    Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Edited and added to by ethanedwards

Cong (Conga Fheichín or Cúnga Fheichín in Irish) is a village in County Mayo, Republic of Ireland, next to the Galway border. It is located on the north shore of Lough Corrib, near the town of Ballinrobe and the villages of Neale and Cross. Cong is known for its underground streams that connect Lough Corrib with Lough Mask to the north. It was also the home of Sir William Wilde, historian and father to prominent playwright, novelist, poet, and short story writer, Oscar Wilde.

This picturesque village lies on the shores off Lough Corrib, just within County Mayo. It is on the edge of Connemara. Cong, (in Gaelic Cung) means isthmus, the village lies on the strip of land between Lough Corrib and Lough Mask.

Just south of Cong is Ashford Castle, built in a Gothic revival style by Arthur Guinness (Lord Ardilaun), is now a five star hotel with Golf Course.
    One of Ireland's finest hotels, converted from a medieval lakeside castle, and a tourist attraction in its own right.
    Much of the movie was filmed on the grounds of Ashford Castle.
    Duke, John Ford, and the other major stars, also stayed there during filming.
    The famous fight scene was shot in the grounds of the castle,
    Much memorabilia and special tours are available to commemorate the film.

Ashford Castle

The town and castle area remain little changed since 1952, and Cong's connection with the movie make it a major tourist attraction in that part of Mayo.

cong_6.jpg cong_1.jpg

Cong also has a fine example of a ruined medieval abbey, and Celtic art in the form of a stone High cross called the Cross of Cong, which shows Viking influences.
    The majestic remains of Cong Abbey are the relics of the Augustinian abbey founded in the 12th century by Turlough O'Connor, King of Connaught and High King of Ireland. The Market Cross of Cong in the village commemorates tow former abbots of the monastery. The Cross of Cong, an ornate processional cross intended for the abbey, is now in Dublin's National Museum.

The Cong Canal, also known as the "Dry Canal" was a failure, primarily due to its inability to hold water. Now used as a drainage channel only, the water level can vary between 6 inches and 12 feet depending on the time of year (summer dry, winter full). Built heritage features of the canal remain.

A replica of the famous thatched cottage in the movie is located at Maam Cross
    County Galway, in the west of Ireland.

Click on Link:-

The Quiet Man Cottage

Information from IMDb

The_Quiet_Man_Bridge_Connemara.jpg

Only two weeks of the production was spent in Ireland
    because the local hotels couldn't accommodate the American crew.

cong01.jpg

Cohan's Pub in the movie is, in reality, a grocery store,
    but when the film turned out to be very popular they never bothered to remove the facade used in the film.
    As of September 2003, Cohan's Pub is no longer a grocery store but strictly a souvenir shop
    specializing in "Quiet Man" keepsakes. The original owner is still the proprietor and is willing to share memories of the filming of the movie.

The station used in the opening sequence and during the scene where John Wayne
    slams the train doors looking for 'Maureen OHara later in the film is Ballyglunin station,
    south of the town of Tuam, Co. Galway. It looks the same today as it did in 1951,
    when the film was shot (although released in 1952).
    The only major difference is that the bridge which crosses the railway tracks is now gone.
    This bridge was moved to Ballinasloe station, East Galway (where it still stands today), after Ballyglunin closed down as a main line.

The horse racing sequence was shot at Lettergesh beach, Connemara, on the west coast of Ireland.

When Sean and Mary Kate take their wagon into town a store called "Emily O'Connor" can be seen in the background. This is actually a crafts store and is still in business to this day.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Keith, I am sorry but if you have some interest about publishing right things about one of the world most wonderful movies should you read in the book In The Footsteps Of The Quiet Man by Gerry McNee. There can you read John Wayne, Maureen O’Hara and the rest of actors were arriving to Cong June 5 and that first shooting was June 6. That last shoot was filmed 11 o’clock am July 14. That is 6 weeks not 2 or 4. All that is also confirmed by Maureen O’Hara and she’s webmaster June Parker Beck. I can also tell that the fighting scene toke 4 days to record.
    About Pat Cohan Bar can I tell you all the bar is on way to be rebuilt to that bar it was in the movie? That work should have been finished in September this year but so is it not.
    Len

• Hi lenrehn,

Thanks for pointing that out,
    However, I didn't publish this information,
    IMDb did.
    The information, was lifted from
    the trivia section of the movie.

It is impossible for any of us to verify,
    all information that we read and see posted,
    and I for one do not have the time to cross reference every
    single book, on every topic

That's what this board is all about,
    discussion and comments,
    and nothing to do with, having singular interest,
    or lack of it!
    Incidently, as you mentioned interest,
    the trivia in question,
    was originally posted on
    Jan 22 2006, 12:11 AM
    in the Movie Review??

As the Red Indians would probably say,
    it's easy to pick over the bones,
    when the carcass is lying there!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Maybe that was same Indian who was saying that the white man is talking with two sounds? Or as we have translated it here, “split tongue.” I think sometimes that is very strange what I can read in some websites and I have read that sites you have taken your quotations from too. There is it written that were problem with theirs hotel rooms living and in the book could I read something else. I will give you a short quotation from that book In the Footsteps of TQM.
    “The last shot were taken about 11 a.m. on 14 July, yet Ashford Castle had been booked for three months from 1 June till 21 August and the telephone service booked with the Department of Post and Telegraphs for the same time.”
    Len

• I hope TBone can have some help of these lines. Here is that lines Father Paul Lonergan are reading with Dan Tobin’s deathbed. I guess you can’t find that lines in a Bible or a Pray book. If someone can find a book with those lines so would that be wonderful news for all of us TQM Maniacs.
    Len

“...hands of a hundred battles, eye on a thousand besides...”
    “...stood alone on the victorious field, his buckler bent...”
    “...his broken sword clutched in his mighty hand...”
    “...the blood of a thousand wounds oozing from his open veins...”

• Nowadays I can't eat potatoes without thinking about the scene with Victor M sitting at the table eating his potatoes in large chunks.

• Last night we watched the Quiet Man (instead of Super-bowl). Probably like the 25th time we have seen it. My wife noticed something we never saw before, and its good reason for each of you to pull out your copy, and watch it again. In the big fight scene, Michaeleen Og Flynn is struggling to keep track of all the bets, and someone wants to put a few more pounds on Thornton, but he says its closed...however, Feeney, the little squint, approaches Michaeleen very closely...gets right up into his face and says that he wants to put two pounds on "The Yank", even though he had previously bet on Danaher. So Michaleen responds, "doooogh...you traiter!!" Their faces are about 4 inches apart, and if you look closely, you can see that as Barry Fitzgerald delivered that line, he accidently spits directly into the mouth of Feeney. (Yuck!)

GSP

"...all of this and General Price that baby sister makes it back to Yell county" --Rooster Cogburn, True Grit.

• The scene I refer to above is on you tube...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v…xwTjg&mode=related&search=

at the very end of that long clip. You have to look carefully, but you can see the spit flying across at Feeney, and then Fitzgerald seems a little embarassed as he puts his hand to his mouth.

"...all of this and General Price that baby sister makes it back to Yell county" --Rooster Cogburn, True Grit.

• The music in The Quiet Man.

I have always thinking that the music is like important as that story we can see on the screen. So here come short lists about that music I have found out. I hope you will enjoy it.

Mostly of this have I found in The Complete Guide To The Quiet Man.
    In the first scene with Ashford Castle in the background play the orchestra “The Rakes of Mallow”. In the opening scene on the Ballyglunin railway station is the orchestra playing “Dreams of Alwyn” or “Isle of Innisfree” if you like it better. Margaret Niland tells John Ford had taken one orchestra to the railway station who played it on stage and the train and the music been recorded direct in one scene.

In St Anselm’s Chapel after 7 o’clock mass plays “Kitty of Coleraine” which was a protestant hymn who probability not should be played in a catholic church.

In the Inisfree Cup plays Scottish bagpipes “The Wearing of the Green”, “The Rakes of Mallow”, “Garryowen”, ”Believe Me If All Those Endearing Young Charms”, by Thomas Moore, ”The Kerry Dances” and “Kitty of Coleraine”. That song as start the race was with a horn blowing called “The Race” by Victor Young.

That was in all three lead motives in the movie, “Isle of Innisfree”, “Wild Colonial Boy” and “The Kerry Dances”.

On harp plays “Isle of Innisfree” and “The Kerry Dances”.

Rest of the song title in “The Quiet Man” is; ”Dreams of Alwyn” by Mr Nobody or ”Isle Of Innisfree”, ”The Wild Colonial Boy”, ”Galway Bay”, ”Humour Is On Me Now”, ”I’ll Take You Home Again Kathleen”, ”The Young May Moon”, ”Mush, Mush, Mush Tural-I-Addy”, plus all special composed melodies by Victor Young.

That only who are named as Danny Boy in this film is that horses Victor McLaglen are riding on in the race scene.

Widow Tillane’s house was named as “Strandhill House” and was owned by the Elwood family before that was purchase and pulled down by the Guinness family. To day is it a parking place to Ashford Castle Golf Club. If I remain it right so is Ms O’Hara a member in that club. I hope I do it.