Hellfighters (1969)

There are 128 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 115,918 times. The latest Post () was by Aubrey.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• By the way, I like this film. It may not be a masterpiece, but my dad being involved in the oil industry and me living near the "Oil Capital of the World"; I can relate to it.

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• Bill,It looked like Hobby to me too. I'm really curious about the office location as the elevated highway seems very distinctive. Any ideas anyone?

To me, it looks like a miniature - the cars move too evenly and are spaced several car lengths apart. If you're familiar with Houston, the vehicles would be traveling a lot faster or be in gridlock

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• That could be true Jay but keep i mind this was filmed in 1969. Less traffic back then.

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• Yeah I have to doubt they'd go to the extreme of doing miniatures for the scene. Looked like a real office to me.

• Yeah I have to doubt they'd go to the extreme of doing miniatures for the scene. Looked like a real office to me.

When Duke is in his office, they have a backdrop of the window, and the highway beyond!! It is so dreadful, as a model treadmill, all the cars go past the window at the same speed! A red station waggon goes past the window, 15-17 times!!

In the first post it clarifies this,
    that it was simple special effects!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• When Duke is in his office, they have a backdrop of the window, and the highway beyond!! It is so dreadful, as a model treadmill, all the cars go past the window at the same speed! A red station waggon goes past the window, 15-17 times!!

In the first post it clarifies this,
    that it was simple special effects!

Just another reason why Hellfighter's is near the bottom on my list of favorite Duke films.

Chester :newyear:

• I'm going to have to go back and check this out, Been quite awhile since I saw it. Thanks everyone-

• Hellfighters is indeed one Duke's lesser offerings from this period, the movie is almost as if Duke was just fulfilling a contractual obligation and didn't really put his heart into this.

I really like 'Hellfighters', but watching it again recently and seeing this comment makes me feel as if Duke had a supporting role.

• Finally got around to watching this again, and yeah, while the characters are inside the office, it is a fake skyway in the backround-no doubt. But when they are outside entering, it is the real thing. It's funny, one of the cars on the fake overpass seemes to be a model of the red Lincoln w/black top that Duke and Jim Hutton use in one scene.

• I thought y'all might find this recent reference in the news, to John Wayne, interesting.

It was also a sneaky way to bring this thread back to the top, for anyone who might not have had opportunity to check it out. Plenty of information and discussion in this, and all the movie threads that Keith has tirelessly and diligently done. If you haven't read this one from the beginning, I recommend it!

• its about 10 years since ive seen the hellfighters and i didnt think much of the film back then so i have to watched it again to see has it grown on me.will report back

• finally got to see the hellfighters and i surprised my self that i really enjoyed the film.i taught john wayne and jim hutton played off eached well and there were good humour between the leading cast.i surpose when you get older you see john wayne films in a different way.tycoon is the next film i have to watch as i didnt think much of thast film either.have'nt seen that film in 10 years either

• Hi guys

I'm afraid I didn't really like this movie too, not one of his better ones, though I had watched Jet Pilot and The Conqueror before I got to Hellfighters !!!!

So not as bad as THOSE !!!!!

• I would say Hellfighters is marginally better than the other two. The Conqueor is more funny than anything else. Jet Pilot is for the birds and jet engine enthusiasts. Even the trailer wears your patience out!!

• Its one of a few in the 60's that i don't own. Kinda bombed for me. It would have been nice to see him as a real life fireman though! Like a fire chief chasing fires in the big city!