Harry Carey Jr.

There are 148 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 147,872 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I like this photo:-

Here’s a great group of Western film veterans,
    gathered in the mid-1980s for a documentary that never saw the light of day:
    Iron Eyes Cody, Pat Buttram, Harry Carey, Jr., and Yakima Canutt.
    Of the four, only Carey—the best storyteller and historian of them all—is still with us.
    I asked Mr. Canutt if it was true that he could turn over a stagecoach
    and have it land on an exact camera mark
    and he said yes in such an authoritative way that I had no reason to doubt him.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Wow, that was fast. Here's Mrs. Carey's response,

• Many thanks for that Jim.
    I still treasure that book and the notes Harry sent me.
    Oddily I also kept the address label Marilyn wrote out.

Perhaps if Marilyn does take a look here,
    she'll also endorse this Forum,
    and not just the 'Official' as they currently do!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Harry Carey Jr. or "Dobe" as he lovingly is called is a true favorite of mine. I always enjoy his addition to a Duke movie. True professional that always turns in a good performance.

• COMPANY OF HEROES- My Life As An actor In The John Ford Stock Company- Harry Carey.Jr, [Hardcover]
    In my opinion, not only the best book about Ford, it’s also one of the best about Wayne as well. The long-time member of Ford’s Stock company tells it all. And it’s so much fun.

Product Description
    When Harry Carey, Sr. died in 1947, director John Ford cast
    Carey's 26-year-old son, Harry, Jr. in the role of The Abilene Kid in 3 Godfathers.
    Ford and the elder Carey had filmed an earlier version of the story,
    and Ford dedicated the Technicolor remake to his memory. "Company of Heroes"
    is the story of the making of that film, as well as the eight subsequent Ford classics.
    In it, Harry Carey, Jr. casts a remarkably observant eye on the process
    of filming Westerns by one of the true masters of the form.
    From She Wore a Yellow Ribbon and "Wagonmaster"
    to The Searchers and "Cheyenne Autumn",
    he shows the care, tedium, challenge, and exhilaration
    of movie-making at its highest level.
    Carey's portrayal of John Ford at work is the most intimate ever written
    He also gives us insightful and original portraits of the men and women
    who were part of Ford's vision of America:
    John Wayne, Richard Widmark, Henry Fonda, Maureen O'Hara,
    Ward Bond, Victor McLaglen, and Ben Johnson.
    Funny, insightful, and brutally honest, "
    Company of Heroes
    is a rip-roaring good read that presents the remarkable life story of
    Harry Carey, Jr. and his many continuing fine performances.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Just caught Dobe in nice performance in Bad Jim, a western from the early 90s. Stars Josh Brolin, Richard Roundtree, and John Clark Gable (Clark's son-maybe his only film, I was afraid to check).

• I am about halfway through Dobe's Company of Heroes and it is a great read. If you haven't read it I suggest you try to get hold of a copy of it. Wonderful insight into Ford, Wayne, Bond and the rest of the Stock Company on top of being well written, funny, and emotional when discussing his father's death. This is probably the 12th or 13th JW/JF associated book I have read and I am enjoying it as much as any of them. If the chapters on the other movies are as good as the ones on Three Godfathers, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon and Wagon Master, which I assume they will be, this will become one of my favorite books.

Not easy to come by and used ones are going for $40 and more on Amazon. My darling wife bought me an autographed copy in like new condition for our aniversary.

• I've read Dobe's book twice now and plan on revisiting it again. I still wish he could dictate some of his memories about the non Ford films.
    I can't tell you how many times I've brightened up when he shows up in a movie or TV show that I didn't expect him to be in.
    Hope he realizes that he has a hell of a lot of fans out here.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Company of Heroes is one of my all-time favorite books. Harry Carey Jr. writes so well that he really should have written more books. I do think he was working at one time on another volume about his non-Ford movies but sadly, it has never come to fruition.

• I still treasure the personally signed book and the notes that Harry sent me.
    Oddly I also kept the address label Marilyn wrote out,
    when she posted it from her local post office

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England