Pedro Gonzales- Gonzales

There are 27 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 18,011 times. The latest Post () was by kilo 6.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Mexican-American star acted with John Wayne

CULVER CITY, Calif. - (AP) -- Pedro Gonzalez Gonzalez, a comedic entertainer and character actor who appeared in John Wayne films and other movies, has died. He was 80.

Gonzalez Gonzalez died of natural causes at his home Feb. 6, said his grandson, actor Clifton Collins Jr.

Gonzalez Gonzalez began his entertainment career at age 7, when his parents pulled him out of school to entertain migrant workers and residents in the American Southwest.

In 1953, he appeared as a contestant on Groucho Marx's TV quiz show You Bet Your Life, and his banter with the legendary entertainer stole the show. John Wayne saw the performance and signed Gonzalez Gonzalez to his production company.

The films with Wayne, among them The High and the Mighty, Rio Bravo and Hellfighters, and guest appearances on such TV series as Gunsmoke made Gonzalez Gonzalez one of the most recognizable Mexican-American actors at the time.

Because he often played stereotypical roles, had a heavy accent and frequently served as comic relief, Gonzalez Gonzalez was criticized in later years as perpetuating negative Hispanic images.

But his grandson said Gonzales Gonzales took what roles were available.
    The early end to his education meant he never learned to read or write. Collins said his grandfather memorized lines by having his wife read to him, and that if a script changed, directors would feed him lines.

Gonzalez Gonzalez, whose name was a traditional combination of his mother's and father's identical surnames, is survived by his wife, Leandra, three children and other descendants.

From the Miami Herald

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/...miherald_nation

• I enjoy this Mrs. C. You and Keith make this a fun place to learn.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Pedro Gonzales-Gonzales always considered San Antonio his home. He was very popular with Spanish-speaking fans and would frequent the Alameda Theatre when he was in town.
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• This guy was always talked about by my parents. When my parents were living in San Antonio and dating, my father took my mother to see several of his performances that took place there. Pedro G-G was another that I liked from the giddyup. When I heard of his passing, I was listening to the radio at the CC Museum of Science and History - while doing some research on some Mexican Militaria-of all things.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I like the comment in his bio that if you are not here to serve others you have no business being here. It's not hard to get wrapped up in our own lives and or those of family or close friends but having a helping attitude goes a long way. He also said he loves to hear children laughing that is one of my fav sounds as well.

Greetings from North of the 49th