Cultural Icon

There are 14 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 7,446 times. The latest Post () was by chester7777.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Do you realize how many times John Wayne's name comes up in the news? Not because they are talking about him specifically, but because they are making a reference to what he represented (and still represents!) to many. How many mentions do you think there are of Cary Grant's name on a weekly basis, in the news or media? Don't get me wrong - I love Cary Grant, but I don't think he has the same impact on our culture as John Wayne, and the many mentions of his name in the media on almost a continuous basis bear that out.

Here is an example, from the University of Dayton's independent student newspaper, the Flyer News.

How about this one, from National Review Online?

John Wayne lives on, long after his death!

Mrs. C :angel1:

Originally posted by chester7777@Mar 3 2006, 10:08 AM
    Do you realize how many times John Wayne's name comes up in the news? Not because they are talking about him specifically, but because they are making a reference to what he represented (and still represents!) to many. How many mentions do you think there are of Cary Grant's name on a weekly basis, in the news or media? Don't get me wrong - I love Cary Grant, but I don't think he has the same impact on our culture as John Wayne, and the many mentions of his name in the media on almost a continuous basis bear that out.
    John Wayne lives on, long after his death!

[snapback]28282[/snapback]

So true, Mrs. C - the icon that is Duke is far-reaching and about as universal as an individual can get. He is the epitome of all that is strong, honest and loyal and serves a role model for all!
    Cheers - Jay :D:D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Hi Mrs Chester,

This is ironical,I've just this minute,
    got back from picking the kids up from school,
    and read your post.

I walked past a young teenage mother, and
    couldn't believe my ears!
    I overheard her say,

My toddler's starting to walk,and walks just like John Wayne!!

Universal Cultural Icon
    I should say so!!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Small wonder John Wayne makes #3 on the polling list of actors and actresses, even 26 years after his death. I like the suggestion of the author of the National Review Article....pop in True Grit in the DVD player and tune out 3:30 minutes of self applauding political grandstanding. No contest there.

Roger.

• Thanks for posting that Mrs C. I agree with what everyone above me has said :)

The youngest member of the JWMB! And proud Cowgirl!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Hi,

Duke reaches far and wide!! and casts long shadows!!
    I can't imagine say, Clooney, or Stalone,
    having this effect 30 years after they're gone,
    can you??

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• In terms of being an icon John Wayne is virtually in a league of his own.

List any other Movie or Entertainment icons of the top of your head and you will see what I mean.

Walt Disney A whole industry promotes his memory

Elvis Presley marketed to the hilt by EPE Enterprises and RCA

Marilyn Monroe marketed by the media

Other icons like James Dean, Steve Mc Queen, Alfred Hitchcock & Humphrey Bogart have been pitched as being cool or in and whose popularity burned bright during their lives and after their deaths but as the years go by their popularity and relevance has waned.

Time will tell whether Frank Sinatra, The Beatles or Clint Eastwood will still have the following they had in 1960s and 1970s.

Don’t get me wrong all the above have followings and fans and I would like to think that their work will still be recognised in centuries to come but they do not have the foot soldiers on the ground that John Wayne has.

The only other icons who could be argued to have the same universal recognition, love and appreciation from their fans across the world would be:-

Stan Laurel & Oliver Hardy.

Both share a number of similarities with John Wayne :-

They left a large body of work to be appreciated by their fans.

They were barely recognised by their peers or critics in their life times.

They are still to this day universal recognised across the globe.

They didn’t make any fortunes out of the work.

In the years after their deaths their continued popularity has come from their fans not the slick marketing of any corporate company.

Like John Wayne they were loved as the people they were both on screen and off screen.

Best

Mike

• No problem, This is what we're all here for. :rolleyes:

Mrs C :angel1:

• Mrs C, thank you for that.
    I truly thought the National Rview online article was EXTREMELY well thought out and written, great article!.

• Hi all

Mrs C thanks for posting those links.
    As IHW says the National Review online
    article was food for thought. Lets hope
    that no one ever remakes any of Duke's
    movies, god knows who they would get
    to play his part.

Emmanuel.

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

• Oh, to answer this question (at least today), I got 10,500 hits on Google for John Wayne (of course that also includes mention of John Wayne Bobbit, John Wayne Gacy, and other incidences of John and Wayne in the same article even if they are not together) and 502 hits for Cary Grant :rolleyes: .

Mrs. C :angel1: