A&e Biography

There are 6 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,840 times. The latest Post () was by chester7777.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Has anyone here seen the A&E Biography on John Wayne? I read the description on Amazon.com, and it said that the biography includes many contradictions about The Duke and his private life. If anyone knows or if anyone has seen this, then what are some examples of these contradictions? I really enjoy The Duke's movies, and I have a growing collection of them, but I don't know too much about his life off the screen.

• Hi Skinny and Welcome to the forum.

I have the A& E documentary on video and I know it is available on Region 1 format in USA.

It is a very comprehensive documentary covering his life and and career. I wouldnt say it was controversial.

Other documentaries worth seeking out are the John Wayne Early and Later Years available on DVD. The early years concentrates on pre Stagecoach 1939 with lots of clips from B Westerns. The later years concentrates on Stagecoach to the end of his life and contains more rare footage that I not seen such as TV spots.

There is also an earlier John Wayne Anthology DVD which trys to cover everything. Its footage seems to come from public domain and trailers but it worth a look.

Couple & Duos is a French DVD which is four documentaries in which 1 1/2 hour
    programme is on John Wayne & John Ford.

All the above are available on Ebay .

Rarer documentaries worth seeking out are the BBC TV Reputations programme which cover Duke's career and political views. Hollywood Greats with Jonathan Ross is another 45 minute BBC TV documentary which also covers John Wayne
    life and career. It involves Duke's children and is much fairer than the Barry Norman programme form the late 1970's.

Hope this helps

Best

Mike

• I have seen it I believe 3 times, one was in 2001, the day Caroll O'Connor died he wassupposed to be on although they had a special one for the deceased, but yes I believe it is 2 hours long. Great i thought and I wish i would have it again.

I have both A&E, AND the bio channel and have not once seen it on yet! yet they repeat everything else 100times.

-IHW

• Hello All
    I have it, could you list some of the contradictions listed on Amazon?
    murray

Greetings from North of the 49th

• I know what you mean! The program you are interested in is shown twice yet Star Wars comes on every other month :headbonk:

Mike

• Yes, I have seen the A&E Biography on John Wayne and in fact taped it when it first aired several years ago. I did not find any controversy in the biography, and learned quite abit about the man, his films and his impact on films and the rest of society.

Roger.