Last Non Western You Watched

There are 8,505 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,422,393 times. The latest Post () was by OriginalMexicanBob.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• The Long Voyage Home. For anyone new, it is a John Ford 1940 movie about merchant marine ships during the war. It has a good many of the Ford Stock Company acting in it. There is a most young looking Duke Wayne, (about 33 years old), and Ward Bond,(37 or so). The ocean scenes are very realistic for the time, and the story is that of the one young man, (Duke), trying to break from the sea and return home to his Mother and the land. It is a classic and one that shouldn't be missed. Keith

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Hi Ringo. Surprised you haven't run into Ken Tobey before. He was a most prolific character actor and worked for over 50 years as an actor. In the late 50s, he was in a series called Whirleybirds. Here is a link that show full versions of some TV shows and movies he was in
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0864851/videogallery
    Hago, Keith

Hi H/ I have known him in many things like: Airplane, some old sci fi stuff, he was also in Disney movies like one with Fess Parker as Davy Crockett, and I forget what else? I always liked him in whatever I spotted him in. Thing is--is I have never before noticed him in He Walked By Night. Ive seen that movie a hand full of times and its one of my favorite Richard Basehart movies. Ill try some of those episodes out that you gave the links to. Im always looking to expand my have watched stuff ;-))

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• To Hell and Back w/ Audie Murphy, Marshall Thompson, Paul Picerni, Charles Drake w/ bit parts for Denver Pyle and David Janssen. I NEVER tire of Murphy's finest movie.

The man himself:

DvD box art:

An image of him not seen in the movie: He is carrying an M-1 Carbine:

Marshall Thompson:

Charles Drake as: Brandon--whose character was that of Murphs friend: Lattie Tipton) who was killed in combat almost like shown in Brandons death scene) but in real life also was that Tipton was killed when a German MG-42 crew faked a surrender and just after the incident where Tipton's ear was shot off by two Germans he killed:

Classic shot of Murph just after getting even with the Germans who shot and killed Brandon (Tipton)

Murphy getting even with the MG crew who killed Tipton:

Murphs first action where he killed his first two enemy soldiers who happened to be two unlucky Italian soldiers--replaced by Germans in the movie:

I have a copy of this exact shot of Murphy (as himself) from THaB:

Murphy receiving a battlefield commission to 2nd Lieutenant (Butter Bar or 90 Day Wonder)

Edited 2 times, last by The Ringo Kid ().

• Carl, as always, your posts and your images really shine. Great stuff.

Today my long suffering bride and I had the good fortune to watch "Jaws", fully restored, on the big screen at Cinemark. The chain is continuing to show classics, ala "The Searchers" for one day only.

It was well worth the experience. The theater was almost full with some people who had taken the afternoon off and some families with a couple of generations. People screamed followed by nervous laughter and popcorn flew at all the appropriate times.

It's good to share a good movie in a communal setting.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Hi Ringo. Surprised you haven't run into Ken Tobey before. He was a most prolific character actor and worked for over 50 years as an actor. In the late 50s, he was in a series called Whirleybirds. Here is a link that show full versions of some TV shows and movies he was in
    Hago, Keith

• Hi Gorch,
    Glad you went to see this. As I posted on here I also went to see Jaws restored on the big screen over her in the UK. The cinema was also full and it mad me realise how average most modern films are in comparison.

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• Hi Gorch,
    Glad you went to see this. As I posted on here I also went to see Jaws restored on the big screen over her in the UK. The cinema was also full and it mad me realise how average most modern films are in comparison.

WOW, I haven't been to a cinema is many years........think the last one was The Shootist. But, growing up, I went all the time. I DID see the original Jaws in the cinema after reading the book. My ocean free diving was not the same for MANY years. All of a sudden, I would be about 20 feet down looking under a ledge for Lobsters, and I would get a creepy sensation in the back of my neck. I would swirl around expecting to see a humongous shark only to see nothing unusual! Bet it is even scarier now.

• Thank you B/ I aim to please. Oh and, I just got confirmed for two great Fort Apache shots one original-the onther one colorized for some reason? as well as three more great borderless El Cid stills and im hoping to score the original the horse Soldiers Negative that Ron and Margaret have. Its a great shot too.

Ill have more good ones here over the weekend. ;-))

Hago, Keith

Hi H/ I replied to your post yesterday but it vanished.

I have known of Kenneth Tobey but never knew he was in He Walked By Night. I didnt spot him in it but will be watching it again over the weekend. I know of him as Colonel Travis? in one of Fess Parkers Davy Crockett movies or either he was with him as a Riverboat pirate in that Episode? as well, I know him in some old SCi Fi classics as well as the finger-sniffing guy in Airplane.

• "The Hunger Games" - All the publicity this movie received made me curious. It was a good movie, but the premise provided no reasoning of what led up to the focus of the film's plot. My own reasoning is that the present day infatuation of "reality" shows is taken to the most extreme but the movie does not elaborate. We as an audience are given the "games" in the plot as the motivating object and little background. Other than that, "The Hunger Games" is well put together.

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Hi H/ I replied to your post yesterday but it vanished.

I have known of Kenneth Tobey but never knew he was in He Walked By Night. I didnt spot him in it but will be watching it again over the weekend. I know of him as Colonel Travis? in one of Fess Parkers Davy Crockett movies or either he was with him as a Riverboat pirate in that Episode? as well, I know him in some old SCi Fi classics as well as the finger-sniffing guy in Airplane.

Yep, my first post to you vanished also....just copied it from my "old posts" and posted again! Anyway, that link should help you find some of his movies. As you know one movie usually takes you to another one. I watched the one on Ironside, (used to be one of my favorite shows)!
    Sorry I misinterpreted your post. I was indeed surprised that you hadn't seen him before....now I understand. Have a good one, Keith

• I have been thoroughly enjoying the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers box set I ordered. Many happy childhood memories are wrapped up in this ridiculously cheesy show. A lot of the episodes are formulaic, but man is it fun. It's bright, loud colorful, poorly acted and has the funny duo of Bulk and Skull. Lot's of smiles and laughs for me in this show.

Not sure how many people here actually care about Power Rangers, but if you were a child during the 90's or had 90's kids, you can't go wrong with these sets as gifts.

Mighty Morphin - Lost Galaxy 40 disc set

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The complete First Season

Or you can pick up the individual volumes from Amazon or maybe a local store of your choice

MMPR: Season 1.1, Season 1.2

Time life offers installment payments, makes it easier for a slob like me to get stuff. For a 90's kid like me there is a lot of cool stuff coming out that would make for excellent Christmas gifts.

If I sound like an advertisement I apologize, but this set is a long awaited dream.

• Yep, my first post to you vanished also....just copied it from my "old posts" and posted again! Anyway, that link should help you find some of his movies. As you know one movie usually takes you to another one. I watched the one on Ironside, (used to be one of my favorite shows)!
    Sorry I misinterpreted your post. I was indeed surprised that you hadn't seen him before....now I understand. Have a good one, Keith

Thanks for the heads-up on that. I didnt know to look in old posts.

• I was bored while waiting to eat lunch so--I watched again: Breakthrough w/ John Agar, David Brian, Paul Picerni, William Campbell & Frank Lovejoy.