Last Non Western You Watched

There are 8,505 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,406,782 times. The latest Post () was by OriginalMexicanBob.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Operation Pacific

Wow, one of my favorites as you can imagine, Keith, with my Love for both Duke and Ward. Very strange hearing Ward call Duke by his real name and the role reversal in the movie. Must have been fun for them both as they were best friends in real life.

As you know the movie is based on several truths or real events. There really was a problem with torpedoes' detonation...strangely enough, extreme angle hits were more reliable than straight on ones. Although the crew did not solve the problem, it WAS solved in a similar manner as shown in the movie.

Another one was that a Commander Howard Gilmore, captain of the USS Growler, did use his boat to ram and sink a ship prior to being mortally wounded and ordering his boat to be taken down from under him thereby saving the Growler and her crew. He was awarded the Medal of Honor posthumously for his personal sacrifice.

Also, submarines, athough now are massive vehicles, are still called "boats" by submariners. Previously, when first invented, they were small enough to be carried on ships...therefore, the term "boat".

And, The COB or Chief Operator of Boats,(officially Chief Petty Officer), is similar to a Master Sargent on land. It this movie, Jack Pennick has this role and is simply called "Chief". He has usually been around and knows more about boats than even the Commanding Officer, (CO) or the Executive Officer, (XO). Those three are unofficially known as being the top of chain of command. That is the reason for Duke's little "speech" about him, {SPOILER}, as he is killed in the offboat retrieval of a downed flyer, Duke consoles his ensign, (young Martin Milner), by telling him of how the Chief has helped to "raise" Pop, (Ward Bond), himself and the other officers aboard. He imagines that he is still doing that "back there" as a mention of a type of "Davy Jone's Locker" where sailors lost at sea, reside. As I said, this is a little known John Wayne movie. But, I think that short speech of Duke's was one of his best efforts. This is a movie to be watched by any Duke or Ward fan although some of the effects are not the best, if you concentrate on the story, yu will never notice them.

I realize that you know all of this Keith, but some of the readers may not, and this is a relatively "unknown" for a lot of Duke fans. So, since I had this info in my "Ward" research already, I thought I would include it so that some who have not seen it might decide they should.

I think I will watch it again tonight! Thanks, Keith

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Hatari
    Still trying to get my wife to watch the whole thing, she says she doesn't like John Wayne, unless he is playing a cowboy or a soldier

Ben Cartwright SASS
    a good motto to live by
    "WWJWD"
    What would John Wayne Do"

• Hatari
    Still trying to get my wife to watch the whole thing, she says she doesn't like John Wayne, unless he is playing a cowboy or a soldier

Hi there Ben, Surprised your wife doesn't like it. But, how about you making a comment on the Group Watch for us? If you didn't like it, that is OK....what discussion is all about. Thanks and HAGO, Keith

• Hi there Ben, Surprised your wife doesn't like it. But, how about you making a comment on the Group Watch for us? If you didn't like it, that is OK....what discussion is all about. Thanks and HAGO, Keith

I like Hatari, but im not a big Hellfighters fan. Ill still watch it over most of the junk shown on TV these days, but Hellfighters aint a movie for my DvD collection--unless------------I can get a copy for a great bargain. I do have Hatari and love the theme music which i THINK is called: "Baby Elephant Walk"

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hellfighters

Could have sworn I posted this....but it isn't showing up....funny another post from someone didn't show up on the board, but it was in the email I got.

Guess you didn't like Hellfighters any better this time, huh, Keith?

Well, there are a few of us dumbies that like it, LOL. Very exciting to me.

HAGO, Keith 2

• Hi there Ben, Surprised your wife doesn't like it. But, how about you making a comment on the Group Watch for us? If you didn't like it, that is OK....what discussion is all about. Thanks and HAGO, Keith

Forgot, tell your wife he really lassos a speeding zebra in a herd of them. He is on the hood of the chase truck. I went frame by frame.....it is Duke all right, LOL! Amazing the things he did so close to those wild animals going crazy. I am amazed that Hawks let him do it! I thought the Rhino was going to get him TWICE! KP

• Forgot, tell your wife he really lassos a speeding zebra in a herd of them. He is on the hood of the chase truck. I went frame by frame.....it is Duke all right, LOL! Amazing the things he did so close to those wild animals going crazy. I am amazed that Hawks let him do it! I thought the Rhino was going to get him TWICE! KP

The long shots with the rhino was Ted White doubling Duke WAAY too dangerous-