Last Non Western You Watched

There are 8,505 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,406,863 times. The latest Post () was by OriginalMexicanBob.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• The Sands of Iwo Jima. For some reason now, I have watched three movies in a row where Duke DIED! Have to make a supreme effort to stay away from those for a while! Keith

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• They Were Expendable

LOVE that one Keither. Love also that the part was written in for Ward after his horrible accident.

My parents and I built a half size version of a plywood PT boat when I was small. Giant fishing boat, small "houseboat". Took us most of the winter to build it. The houseboat come next about two years later....it was 55 feet long and slept nine!

HAGO, Keith2

• So, I started trying to watch The Barbarian and the Geisha...anyone else have trouble with this one?

I hate to say it but it's sort of a stinker. I love films about Japan with accurate representations of the culture but the beginning made me cringe. Does it improve?

Help!

We're burning moonlight.

• LOVE that one Keither. Love also that the part was written in for Ward after his horrible accident.

My parents and I built a half size version of a plywood PT boat when I was small. Giant fishing boat, small "houseboat". Took us most of the winter to build it. The houseboat come next about two years later....it was 55 feet long and slept nine!

HAGO, Keith2

I watched it again, to tie in the work I'm carrying out on the books forums,
    this was one I updated
    http://www.dukewayne.com/showpost.php?p=118739&postcount=3

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• So, I started trying to watch The Barbarian and the Geisha...anyone else have trouble with this one?

I hate to say it but it's sort of a stinker. I love films about Japan with accurate representations of the culture but the beginning made me cringe. Does it improve?

Help!

Yes it can be hard to take in, but I thought quite enjoyable

Please see some of the reviews here

The Barbarian and the Geisha

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I watched iy again, to tie in the work I'm carrying out on the books forums,
    this was one I updated
    http://www.dukewayne.com/showpost.php?p=118739&postcount=3

Nice review Keither. Don't have much times for reading books, but may search that one out. Read PT 109 a few hundred times umpteen million years ago. Only PT boat book I ever read. Loved the part where JFK took out the dock. I used to do the exact same thing.....fly up the dock, spin the wheel, throw her in reverse, spin wheel again and slide on in. SO GLAD the engine never failed! Mom and Dad would NEVER have forgiven me! Thanks......actually didn't realize you did book reviews also. Do you read them? Just wondering if this one has a lot of technical knowledge in it.....that would be interesting to me....propulsion, electrical, etc. Thanks for all you do, negative comments along with all else!
    Keith 2

Help!

Hi Peridot,
    It is a languid film with an equally tedious score which really doesn't help the proceedings!
    The cinematography is beautiful as is landscape but it does all drag a bit.
    It won't suddenly jump into life but it is worth watching all the way through.

I hope that helps a bit!

Regards,

Peter

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• Got in the Halloween spirit and saw Bruce Campbell in ARMY OF DARKNESS on the big screen Saturday nite. Still a pretty cool movie!

• Thanks, I'm glad I stuck it out. As my son's great-grandmother used to say, 'I would never ask for it,' but it was good to see it once.

After reading the background and all the reviews, I could see the film it tried to be and what it could have been without (well-meant) interference. It's understandable that JW didn't see how it would have been. What a shame there was the misunderstanding. John Huston could have brought something different with a flavour of Chinatown but set in Japan. Oh, if only, two words so poignant and so useless.

We're burning moonlight.

• Anything with Francis Ford Coppalas Nephew in it is a stinker with the one exception: The Rock--and ONLY because Sir Sean Connery and Ed Harris being in it.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• 2 more episodes of: The Walking Dead season dos and last night-the first ep of season three.

I've got mine stacked up on the TiVo. Looking forward to blasting through all of season 2 in a couple of sittings as I did with season 1!

• :star::star::star::star:Burke and Hare It's hilarious, the story of a pair of 19th century con men who turned to serial killing to supply cadavers to an anatomist for a medical school. Simon Pegg, Andy Serkis, Isla Fisher, the lovely Jessica Hynes, Tom Wilkinson, and the always interesting Tim Curry. Christopher Lee made a cameo appearance in this film as well, delightful to see the gentleman in any role. Hugh Bonneville also in a small but memorable role.

This film is so filled with humour it's nearly a farce. If you liked Shaun of the Dead you'll love this movie. There are no zombies, of course, but there's literal gallows humour and plenty of dark comedy. If this isn't your thing, give it a miss, you'll sleep better for it. Based on a true story, Burke and Hare murdered innocent people, young and old.

This film gets four out of five possible stars on my ratings scale.

We're burning moonlight.

• Hey Ringo, I totally agree with you about Nicholas Cage. He makes my skin crawl and when forced to watch the overacting doofus in a movie, I try to block out his slack-jawed face with my hand. I do wish to offer though, that "Windtalkers" is a pretty good movie due to Adam Beach, Mark Ruffalo and Peter Stormare.

Anyway, I watched one of your favorites today - "Hell is for Heroes". For those unfamiliar with it (after all it's from 1962 and in black and white) Steve McQueen, James Coburn, Harry Guardino, Mike Kellin, Nick Adams, Fess Parker, Bobby Darin and even Bob Newhart try to hold back the German army during WW II. It's directed by Don Siegel and still packs a punch.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Hey Ringo, I totally agree with you about Nicholas Cage. He makes my skin crawl and when forced to watch the overacting doofus in a movie, I try to block out his slack-jawed face with my hand. I do wish to offer though, that "Windtalkers" is a pretty good movie due to Adam Beach, Mark Ruffalo and Peter Stormare.

Anyway, I watched one of your favorites today - "Hell is for Heroes". For those unfamiliar with it (after all it's from 1962 and in black and white) Steve McQueen, James Coburn, Harry Guardino, Mike Kellin, Nick Adams, Fess Parker, Bobby Darin and even Bob Newhart try to hold back the German army during WW II. It's directed by Don Siegel and still packs a punch.

We deal in lead, friend.

As For Cage, Bill. I never liked him either until I saw him in one movie I can't for the life of me remember the name or what it was about....but he was GOOD!. I will look through his filmography and find it. I will bet you haven't seen it, because I believe you will like it. ONLY ONE,though, LOL!

Hell is For Heroes.....never heard of it. Stellar cast. Guess that will go on my list. Wonder if Peter has it.....LOL, my wonderful Peter. What would I do without him......back to grainy old Youtube, LOL.

Did you look at your email? Mark says he has never noticed it either in all his watchings of The Shootist and reading everything about it. Wouldn't it be cool if I found something? Never will forget how embarrassed I was when Keith made it very plain that EVERYONE knew about JB's landlady being named BOND for Ward. I wanted to ask him right away, but......I do have feelings, and they were a bit crushed, LOL.....wasn't ready for another one of those....as I do value his opinion and want him to like me. So, I read everything written about The Shootist starting with his praise and all the comments. Also checked some of my sources outside. No one had every noticed it before. Now, maybe I am crazy and the piece is not what I think it is.....Mark didn't recognize it so I must be a lot worst sketcher than I thought, LOL! So, let me know. Sure did flabbergast ME when I saw it doing the screen catch for the drawing......just sort of stared at it for a while. OK, back to work. CYA LH, LOL!

• I personally liked Cage in a number of films-The Rock, Con Air, Knowing, Gone in 60 Seconds, The National Treasure movies, etc.

As for recent watches: Vegas with Dennis Quaid, Boardwalk Empire (love it!), and Walking Dead.

• I personally liked Cage in a number of films-The Rock, Con Air, Knowing, Gone in 60 Seconds, The National Treasure movies, etc.

As for recent watches: Vegas with Dennis Quaid, Boardwalk Empire (love it!), and Walking Dead.

I'm with you on Nicholas Cage. As I've mentioned before he is somewhat of a guilty pleasure, as he has done some real cheese, but still enjoy them.