Last Non Western You Watched

There are 8,505 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,399,786 times. The latest Post () was by OriginalMexicanBob.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Saw a few Christmas themed war movies last night thanks to TCM. I didnt get home in time to see what the first title was? but it SHOULD have been: Battle of the Bulge. Anyway, the mini-fest for me was:

Battleground w/ Van Johnson, John Hodiak, Ricardo Montalban, Geo Murphy, Marshall Thompson, Herbert Anderson, Richard Jaeckel, James Whitmore Sr, Denise Darcel and others ;-))

Battleground:

Wait'll it clears....................

She said that she was going to hide the chocolate from the children:

SPAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Destination Tokyo:

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Edited 9 times, last by The Ringo Kid ().

• Ringo, surprised you didn't mention that Durning landed on Omaha Beach on D-Day and is one of the few survivors of the Malmedy massacre.
    He was also in "Tough Guys" with Douglas and Lancaster, "The Sting", "Sharkey's Machine", "Breakheart Pass" and Best Little Whorehouse, where he stole the show with a song and dance number.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Ringo, surprised you didn't mention that Durning landed on Omaha Beach on D-Day and is one of the few survivors of the Malmedy massacre.
    He was also in "Tough Guys" with Douglas and Lancaster, "The Sting", "Sharkey's Machine", "Breakheart Pass" and Best Little Whorehouse, where he stole the show with a song and dance number.

We deal in lead, friend.

Thank you Bill and truthfully, I had forgotten he landed on D-Day or was involved with the Malmedy Massacre. Colonel Dave Pergrin who recently passed away, was the Colonel who set up some roadblocks and other blocking positions and though they didnt know it at the time--they heard the firing from the Germans who participated in the murders.

Loved him in: Tough Guys. I wish they would release that on DvD. Dana Carvy (SP?) was in it as their Parole Officer. I was one of about 10 people who saw this at the theater when it came out. I cant see why Tough Guys didnt make a bigger splash??? Billy Barty and Eli Wallach both--were hoots :lol::lol:

Thanks for his WWII reminders though ;-)) And thankfully, last I heard-he's still alive as well as Eli Wallach.

• Oh no Van Johnson again!!

Sorry to upset the Apple cart but--just saw him in two more movies since last night: The Caine Mutiny and Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo--pics will be following if the internet keeps working today? It didnt yesterday so was why I didnt add pics for the other movies I saw.

• Destination Tokyo w/ Cary Grant:
    The Captain and the------

"Cookie"

The Cat: as in: John Garfield the Cat:

The Captain and the Cat:

An American version of: Das Boot:

Das Boot strikes:

Watching his handy work:

A bit of relaxation:

Saying bye to some of the USS Sea Tiger's losses:

• And last night and today:
    The Caine Mutiny and Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo:

The Caine Mutiny:
    Ol Yellow stain:

Playing with his balls:

They stole those Strawberries:

This one was for: Tulagi, Guadalcanal, Okinawa, the Marianas, Tarawa, the Philippines, Hawaii, Alaska, the Aleutions, Ceylon, China, Burma, India....................................

Edited once, last by The Ringo Kid ().

• Guess I didn't really recognize Durning until I saw him in The Queen of the Stardust Ballroom, 1975. Guess yall knew he was an ex-boxer and a ballroom dancing instructor. Anyway, he starred with Maureen Stapleton in this and it made a lasting impression on me. He was a favorite ever since then. Guess I need to look up some of these old war movies.

By, the way, Kiddo, you are really getting GOOD....proud of you!

As for The Time of Your Life, if you like Jimmy in bust em up gangster type movies, this isn't one, LOL, although there is a fight scene that is surprising and Jimmy shows he had been something he is no longer in this movie. It is filmed completely in a local bar, restaurant, lounge. It is about the people who frequent it. Joe, (Jimmy Cagney), is the mainstay, the one who keeps everyone together and quite a step up from others there. His main goal in life seems to be to help others to better themselves. I don't believe his past history is ever really explained. It deals mainly with him as he is at the time. I liked it. Although Ward has decent billing, he is in it less than most....disappointing, but OK, LOL. KEITH

Good movie and I havent seen it since it came out. Its now on DvD. Oh and if your talking about Durning--he was in: The Final Countdown with Kirk Douglas, Martin Sheen and James Farentino--which I think came out in 1980? I was at the premier of the movie which was held in my hometown of Kingsville--before they had another premier held in New York? i think? ANyway, Kirk Douglas was only a few feet from me and looked at me when he walked into the theater-same with James Farentino and Soon Tek Oh (the Japanese Fighter Pilot they captured) and I think Durning made a fe wother movies shortly after? but cant recall titles.

Almost forgot-_Durning is a WWII Vet and he fought at the Battle of the Bulge.

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Thank you Keith, Bill.

Me w/ tech skills? that's the biggest laugh of this fairly new century :lol::lol::lol::lol: but thanks anyway :-))

• Guess I didn't really recognize Durning until I saw him in The Queen of the Stardust Ballroom, 1975. Guess yall knew he was an ex-boxer and a ballroom dancing instructor. Anyway, he starred with Maureen Stapleton in this and it made a lasting impression on me. He was a favorite ever since then. Guess I need to look up some of these old war movies.

By, the way, Kiddo, you are really getting GOOD....proud of you!

As for The Time of Your Life, if you like Jimmy in bust em up gangster type movies, this isn't one, LOL, although there is a fight scene that is surprising and Jimmy shows he had been something he is no longer in this movie. It is filmed completely in a local bar, restaurant, lounge. It is about the people who frequent it. Joe, (Jimmy Cagney), is the mainstay, the one who keeps everyone together and quite a step up from others there. His main goal in life seems to be to help others to better themselves. I don't believe his past history is ever really explained. It deals mainly with him as he is at the time. I liked it. Although Ward has decent billing, he is in it less than most....disappointing, but OK, LOL. KEITH

Im not getting good--just cut and pasting from google :-))

I hadnt heard of that Cagney film but sounds good. I like the majority of his stuff. Waiting for: The Frisco Kid to arrive w/ 5 other movies.

• Forgot to mention, just watched 2 more eps of: The Gallant Men. The first of the two featured scenes from: The Tanks Are Coming which is at the near end of the movie where German infantry are starting to attack.