When I Was Young....

There are 25 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 8,572 times. The latest Post () was by kilo 6.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• At our high school graduation dance all the lads had cards with a line where you would fill in the name of someone who had agreed to be your partner for that dance. I don't suppose they do that anymore. They devoted some phys education classes to waltz instruction to minimize toe damage for the girls. We had a night at the end of school where we set up tents on the schook grounds and camped. there was a police constable on site most of the night and we all survived.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Never rode on a bus except for the chartered ones for church choir

I wouldn't ride one nowadays, at least on a long trip. Long ago, a lot of bus routes were what they called "express" routes, and those express buses only made rest stops every 3 or 4 hundred miles, at larger cities and towns. I think today, the few buses that are still running haul freight, in addition to passengers, and stop in every little burg along the road.
    Takes too long to get anywhere on a bus now.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Hello Stumpy up here Greyhound still has some express and some milk run ( multiple stop ) routes.

• Hello Stumpy up here Greyhound still has some express and some milk run ( multiple stop ) routes.

I thought Greyhound had gone the way of the dinosaurs since I never see their buses anymore. Whne I was a kid we saw buses on the highways all the time.

Bus travel may make a comeback though. I read a web article 2 or 3 days ago about a company in the Dakotas that manufactures buses and it said with the price of gasoline nowadays, bus travel is picking up, which means that little company up north is hiring people.

It's a shame we don't have more public transportation in the U.S., especially in the west where we have to travel such long distances. For instance, I must drive about 50 miles round trip to do any serious shopping or eat at a good restaurant.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Hello All
    I must confess to joining friends and making use of the swimming pools next to apartment buildings in the neighborhood where I grew up. If you were quiet you could, sometimes, swim for quite a while before the mad dash for the wall and the safety of the alley ( lane ) We were not above harvesting a few apples or pears from branches overhanging back fences, and we loved to build forts in the few areas of undeveloped land left in the city. We must have been trying to bring a little bit of Tom Sawyer and Huck finn into our lives. Dirt bomb fights and saturday matinees. I aalways loved to play football. baseball and soccer were great also but full tackle no pads football in the mud or dand was tops. Did I mention junk food comics sports cards and TV. Not everyone was tuning in turning on and dropping out during the 60s. I tuned in the radio, turned on the stereo or dropped out of the sky ( off a rope swing into a lake) when I wanted and whatever else felt good at the time. This is not to say I fail to recognize the next persons right to their own perspective or that being aware of current events is a good thing. back to the topic, I valued my freedom when I was young and as I see it, that has never really changed. :wink_smile: