John Wayne's Work To Benefit Hearing School

There are 6 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,950 times. The latest Post () was by DukePilgrim.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• OMAHA, Neb. -- Omaha will help ring in John Wayne's 100th birthday later this month with a film festival, and in return, The Duke will be helping children in the metro.The Omaha Hearing School will benefit from an idea of Bruce Crawford's. He organized a centennial tribute to Wayne and partnered with the school that survives on donations.

Organizers hope a screening of "Liberty Valance" and Duke-related raffles and activities will raise more than $15,000 for the school.

"Our organization has been around for 52 years," said the school's Amber Miller. "We teach the deaf and hard-of-hearing children to listen and talk."Many of the children here have cochlear implants or digital hearing aids. Teachers work with students ages 3 to third grade as they learn to turn new sounds into language.Crawford said the popularity of The Duke's movies should create a big draw and a big fundraiser."John Wayne is still the most revered movie star probably of all time. In this part of the country, he is No. 1," Crawford said."Fifteen thousand dollars will educate one child for a year in the Omaha Hearing School," Miller said.

Related link: http://www.omahafilmevent.com/

• I have a few classmates that live in Omaha now and my old computer wholesaler is located in Omaha. I'll have to give them a call and tell them about a good cause to donate to.

• OMAHA, Neb. -- Omaha will help ring in John Wayne's 100th birthday later this month with a film festival, and in return, The Duke will be helping children in the metro.The Omaha Hearing School will benefit from an idea of Bruce Crawford's. He organized a centennial tribute to Wayne and partnered with the school that survives on donations.

AFter all I've read here lately, I sure hope this place got the "blessing" of Wayne enterprises. It certainly is a worthy cause. Wish I lived closer!