Random Observations

There are 1,240 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 342,076 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I have two additional authors to suggest: Michael Connelly and his character Harry Bosch, a LAPD police detective who has to track down crimes and deal with administrative politics at the same time; and Lee Child with his invention Jack Reacher, a man who lives on the street and by his wits, a former Army MP who manages to get imbroiled in various escapades and uses his unconformed approach and manner to solve those problems.

Thanks for the suggestions, Jay; I'll check 'em out.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I have two additional authors to suggest: Michael Connelly and his character Harry Bosch, a LAPD police detective who has to track down crimes and deal with administrative politics at the same time; and Lee Child with his invention Jack Reacher, a man who lives on the street and by his wits, a former Army MP who manages to get imbroiled in various escapades and uses his unconformed approach and manner to solve those problems.

I just checked our library's online catalogue and they have a lot of both author's books so guess I'll visit the library this afternoon.

• I've read the Harry Bosch books and they are very good. The Jack Reacher character is new to me but I'll check it out too.
    Thanks to all for their suggestions.

We deal in lead, friend.

• April Fools joke aside, the practicality of having a hat that can block some sun from the face or back of neck-as well as keep some rain off your face and such, much unlike that Beret, would be more sensible. I couldnt believe their stupid decision to make the entire force, wear berets to begin with.

Since Fort Hood is near Austin, I wouldnt mind seeing the Stetson in wear as many many G.I.s can be seen all over town at any given time.

Anyway, what's so wrong about a Stetson? i'll take that over crates full of Berets anyway.

BTW, a couple of those photos were fakeries :lol: :lol:

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• AGGGGHHHH! Who said the Army didn't have a sense of humor?

NBC has reported that the Army's Stetson hat press release is an April Fool's joke.

http://www.wireclub.com/Forums…orumId=1&ParentId=1227079

That stuff on my face -- and hubby's face and our best friend's face -- is egg. Really, I should have known given the date! (Hubby and friend are vets who thought for sure this was for real!)

• I thought by your wink that you KNEW it was an April Fool's joke!!

Hi Tenn, ive seen them in wear too. I figured it was an April fools joke, as as that kind of hat makes much more sense to have instead of the Beret- I also KNEW they wouldnt adopt it because of its looks and practical use ;-00

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Jay, just wanted to thank you again for recommending these two authors. Our library has probably 18-20 titles from both and I've begun reading them. Right now, I'm reading one of Connelly's called "The Poet" that's about a serial murderer of police detectives and IMO, this book is probably the best mystery story I've ever read. Highly recommended for those readers who like the genre.

I've also ordered from Amazon all the titles that our local library doesn't have.

• Jay, just wanted to thank you again for recommending these two authors. Our library has probably 18-20 titles from both and I've begun reading them. Right now, I'm reading one of Connelly's called "The Poet" that's about a serial murderer of police detectives and IMO, this book is probably the best mystery story I've ever read. Highly recommended for those readers who like the genre.
    I've also ordered from Amazon all the titles that our local library doesn't have.

Jim - You are most welcome. BTW - "The Poet" I haven't run across yet! I have just finished two of Connelly's books from the library; "Lost Light" and "9 Dragons". In the latter, things get very personal for Bosch.

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Jim - You are most welcome. BTW - "The Poet" I haven't run across yet! I have just finished two of Connelly's books from the library; "Lost Light" and "9 Dragons". In the latter, things get very personal for Bosch.

Damn, damn, damn - just when I was thinking "The Poet" was one of the very best mysteries I've ever read in my 73 years, Connelly goes off on a tangent in the last 34 of 435 pages that renders the whole shebang implausible as hell. Talk about disappointed.

• Damn, damn, damn - just when I was thinking "The Poet" was one of the very best mysteries I've ever read in my 73 years, Connelly goes off on a tangent in the last 34 of 435 pages that renders the whole shebang implausible as hell. Talk about disappointed.

That's the problem with writing a mystery (or any story for that matter) - is bringing all the loose ends together in a logical way. I know I couldn't do it. The fun is in the trip getting there!

"Not hardly!!!"

• Nice picture - one of my favorite aspects of the photo is the littlest girl in front with her hands over her ears. At least she's being honest in front of the whole world.

Bill and Kate make a nice-looking couple.

I STILL wish Her Majesty would designate Harry as her successor though. Outside of the Queen herself, he's my personal favorite of the whole royal family.

• Got a question for you Britishers - who are all of these small kids in the picture I posted? Are they members of the royal family and if so, who do they belong to? I wasn't aware that there were British royals this young.

Jay,
    Just wanted you to know that to date, I've read about 10 or 12 of Connelly's books and really like them. In fact, since you recommended him, I've bought almost all of his books on Amazon and am slowly working my way through them.

However, so far I haven't been all that impressed with Child's books. I've read about 7 of his and so far, only liked one pretty well.

Every time I discover (or hear of) a new author, I like to start with their first title and work my way forward chronologically. Sometimes they get better as time progresses and sometimes they get worse. Almost without exception, Connelly's have been good from the get-go but I can't say the same for Childs.

• Hi Jim. Glad to hear you're enjoying Connelly. Another author I might recommend is Nelson DeMille, admittedly an author I've just encountered and just now am reading the first book of his I am currently reading. But his story has grabbed my interest so far. BTW - I notice Lee Child's bio says he is a Brit transplanted to N.Y.C..

"Not hardly!!!"

• The bridesmaids, Lady Louise Windsor, 7, the Hon. Margarita Armstrong-Jones, 8, and 3-year-olds Grace van Cutsem and Eliza Lopes.

Lady Louise Windsor is the daughter of William’s Uncle Edward; the Hon. Margarita Armstrong-Jones is the grandniece of Queen Elizabeth II; Grace van Cutsem is the daughter of Will’s friend Hugh; Eliza Lopes is the granddaughter of Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall.

The page boys, William “Billy” Lowther-Pinkerton, 10, son of Prince William and Prince Harry’s private secretary since 2005, Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton, and Tom Pettifer, 8, one of William’s godchildren and the son of William’s former nanny, Tiggy Legge-Bourke.

http://www.hollybaby.com/2011/…desmaids-pippa-middleton/

• Thanks for the info, May. You're obviously very familiar with the peerage. Or was this info posted somewhere online?

They're all cute kids.