Cowboy Conventions?

There are 14 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 5,272 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I hope I'm not duplicating an older thread discussion. I have searched the site and couldn't find anything resembling it....so, here goes....

When I was younger, about 11, my family vacationed in Memphis. The hotel inwhich we stayed was having a convention of old movie stars. I don't remember the catagory of the convention, but there were ALOT of old stars there. I did get tot meet and get autographs from Ben Johnson and Ironeyes Cody. Among some of the stars my dad pointed out to me was Lash LaRue, Harry Carey Jr., Victor French, and Jock Mahoney.

You would think this was a cowboy movie convention, but there was a special 3 Stooges movie presentation and lots of classic and B-movie memorabilia being sold. Everything from Buck Rogers, Gone with the Wind, to Ed Wood.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any conventions being held that specialized in the old (and not so old) cowboy/western movies and TV shows.
    I'm not refering to anything related to the S.A.S.S., either. Just a hotel convention room with memorabilia and stars signing autographs.

BTW, went to a sci-fi convention back in Aug.-Sept. called Dragon Con in Atlanta, Ga.
    It's mostly goth and dungeons and dragons folk, but i went on the invitation of my brother who marches as a Star Wars Stormtrooper. I took my one and only get up that would seem out of the ordinary down there among that crowd......

Needless to say, I wasn't the only cowboy there, but I was the only one with a JW get up and was well received.

"Have I paid my dues?......Yes sir, the check is in the mail" - Jack Burton

• I know that there are many of these kinds of conventions held each year. Bat thing for me is, that none are ever held anywhere near to being close to where I live. I'd love to add more autographs to my feeble collection.

I met a lady here about 2 weeks ago who goes to Star Trek and Sci Fi Conventions. Next time I see her, i'll ask if she has any info on any upcoming conventions.

I remember a publication that used to come out-I don't know if it still dows but, it was a magazine called: Starlog, and I remember they always published months in advance, ads about these kinds of conventions.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I keep up pretty good with the sci-fi conventions through my brother. He's always going to Knoxville, Memphis, Huntsville, and Atlanta to some sci-fi convention. I was just wondering about old western or old movie conventions.

Starlog, now there's a magazine I haven't picked up in awhile.
    I think the last issue I picked up was in 1984.

• I keep up pretty good with the sci-fi conventions through my brother. He's always going to Knoxville, Memphis, Huntsville, and Atlanta to some sci-fi convention. I was just wondering about old western or old movie conventions.

Starlog, now there's a magazine I haven't picked up in awhile.
    I think the last issue I picked up was in 1984.

Heh heh, i'll go one even further. I haven't picked up a Starlog since the original Star Wars movie came out. I always looked through the issues but rarely bought one--same thing goes for those National Lampoon rags. I have a large book somewhere with Alfred E. Newman on the cover-dresses as a painter and is getting ready to fight Darth Vader-who has his Light Sabre in hand.

What I miss the most are those "Spy-vs-Spy" comic strips.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Joe,

We, too, enjoyed your photos. It didn't take too long for us to figure out which one was you :wink_smile: ! We have a little in common, as I enjoy dressing up in a similar outfit. I've been to a few events dressed as JW, the largest being the Dean Smith Celebrity Rodeo in Abilene, Texas about three years ago. That would be an event for you to check out whenever they have it again. There were definitely opportunities for autographs from older Western heroes .

Chester :newyear:

• Joe,
    If you are still looking for cowboy conventions try looking in American Cowboy magazine. There are always ads for all kinds of conventions or gatherings around the country. Have you been to Silver Dollar City in Branson. From Sept to end of Oct. the have a salute to the american cowboy with celebs and western artists of all kinds. I met Buck Taylor (Newly) from Gunsmoke there a couple of years ago, he was showing and selling his artwork. Anyway hope this helps.

Baby Sis
    :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy:

"Give me a man like Duke Wayne"...Marueen O'Hara

• Joe,
    If you are still looking for cowboy conventions try looking in American Cowboy magazine. There are always ads for all kinds of conventions or gatherings around the country. Have you been to Silver Dollar City in Branson? From Sept to end of Oct. the have a salute to the american cowboy with celebs and western artists of all kinds. I met Buck Taylor (Newly) from Gunsmoke there a couple of years ago, he was showing and selling his artwork. Anyway hope this helps.

Baby Sis

Baby Sister,
    You've got me brainstorming, now. The last time I went to Silver Dollar City in Branson, I was 11 yrs old. I did meet Shad Heller.
    My wife's sister has in-laws just outside Branson and has been wanting us to vacation with them to visit SDC and Branson, itself. We haven't planned the family vacation, yet, so, maybe I'll toss that idea into the basket and see if the kids go for it.
    Thanks for the info.

• Anytime Joe, if you haven't been since you were 11 you are in for a real treat. If you go don't miss the Roy Rogers Mueseum(really bad spelling) and theatre or the Sons of The Pioneers.

Later
    Baby Sis

"Give me a man like Duke Wayne"...Marueen O'Hara

• I know it's been a while since I've posted. I've been really busy at work, home, and all the other things that desire my attention.
    I haven't made it to any Wild West themed conventions, but I have been bringing the theme to others.
    This year, again, I went with my Star Wars Stormtooper of a brother to Dragon Con 2008. We went the "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" route. Everyone thought we were "F Troop". However there were a few that recognized us as Captain Nathan Brittles.

We played off the fact that we're identical twins. that kinda stuff just drives the women wild.
    Here's a pic:

I then recycled my costume for a Halloween themed wedding reception.

Here I am with my Son (Men in Black)