Maverick (1957-1962)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 65 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by The Ringo Kid.

• Re: Classic TV Westerns- Maverick (1957-1962)

Just so everyone knows, the second season of the original "Maverick", which introduced us to James Garner and Jack Kelly, will be released on DVD in April 2013.
      De gustibus non est disputandum

Last night I watched this episode of "Maverick", which was a parody of "Gunsmoke", right down to the fact that it was set in Kansas, had a Marshal and his buddies the doctor, deputy and saloon mistress. The ep was titled "Gun Shy", another satirical reference to "Gunsmoke".
    • Re: What Was The Last Western You Watched?

Maverick Episode 8 hostage, first episode with Jack Kelly, I didn't know what to make of him at first but he was pretty good as the episode went on, definitely lacks some of the star qualities of Garner but I imagine i'll grow to like him with time, doubt i'll watch his individual episodes though.

Most of the Jack Kelly episodes are quite good-remember, he kept the series going well after James Garner left.

Yeah I know he and Roger Moore took over after Garner's departure but my love of Garner was what attracted me to the series in the first place, I see their's a few episodes with both after this one to introduce Bart so i'll see how I find those but I just don't think i'd have an interest in watching Kelly as a lead.

The Irish Duke wrote:

Yeah I know he and Roger Moore took over after Garner's departure but my love of Garner was what attracted me to the series in the first place, I see their's a few episodes with both after this one to introduce Bart so i'll see how I find those but I just don't think i'd have an interest in watching Kelly as a lead.

I agree that Kelly lacked Jim Garner's playful performance but he was quite good as the other brother.

The Irish Duke wrote:

Maverick Episode 8 hostage, first episode with Jack Kelly, I didn't know what to make of him at first but he was pretty good as the episode went on, definitely lacks some of the star qualities of Garner but I imagine i'll grow to like him with time, doubt i'll watch his individual episodes though.

Have to agree with you there Irish! I watched Maverick religiously as a child. Never could figure out why they added Jack Kelly. Actually made me angry back then because I felt he "messed up" my James Garner shows. Yep, was a big disappointment to me.

I finally found Park Avenue Logger with George O'Brien and Ward Bond. It was the shortest "short" I believe I have seen, but it was an enjoyable few minutes. I had never heard of Mountain Men with Chuck Heston and Brian Keith, but it was pretty true to the actual Mountain Men of old and I dearly love both actors, so that was a great $6 find. Found a 2 disc set of The Guns of Navarone and Coop's "The Pride of the Yankees", story of Lou Gehrig with Babe Ruth playing himself, for $3 each. Enjoyed and recommend them all.

Watched A Guy Named Joe again. Oh, that is a super movie for me. Somehow, the script made the "after death" part undertoned enough so that is wasn't "smaltzy". And Ward was a bit like the "Major Seth Adams" he would later become.......strong yet very tender..........I believe he was beginning to develop that special quiet, soft yet deep, resonant voice that he consoled so many Wagon Train Passengers with. It is now one of my favorite Ward movies. I have two lobby cards from it...........plan to eventually get them all. No one will ever be able to do a good impression of that voice...Wagon Train tried when a couple of Ward's episodes had not been completely finished before his death, the speaking parts. It was an abysmal failure. Nope, that special "consoling" voice he developed will never be duplicated and it became so much a part of him. KEITH
      God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

I actually enjoyed Kelly as much, if not more, than Garner. I didn't watch the show til after Garner left, so Kelly was the main focus. After awhile they brought in Roger Moore and Brent Colbert as Garner replacements (for the same reason Kelly was originally brought in-one actor couldn't handle all the episodes).