Torquay, the US 4th Light Infantry and D-Day Landings

There are 7 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,748 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Today, my family and I visted our local harbour,
    to the spot, of embarkation of thousands
    of American troops, for the D-Day landings on Utah beach.
    It immediately made me think of my friends on the JWMB,
    who are interested in US military history.
    There is a memorial depicting this historic event,
    and the fight by the locals, to retain the two listed slipways,
    that the US Army built .

During World War II Torquay was regarded as safer than the towns of South East England, and played host to evacuees from the London area, the town did however suffer minor bomb damage during the war, mainly from planes dumping excess loads after participating in the Plymouth Blitz. The last air raid on Torquay took place on 29 May 1944 shortly before the D-Day landings in June and in the months leading up to D-Day thousands of US Army personnel arrived in Torquay with the 3204th Quartermaster Service Company being billeted in Chelston and Cockington. During Operation Overlord more than 23,000 men of the American 4th Infantry Division would depart Torquay for Utah Beach.

[extendedmedia]

[/extendedmedia]

Here is a link to Slapton Sands,
    where 'Exercise Tiger' and the role of the Sherman Tank.
    This is the practice beach for the Normandy landings,
    and many American Troops, lost their lives in this tragic event.

Click on this link

Sherman Tank- History Of Exercise Tiger

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Sure wish our respective countries still had the proud spirit that characterized them in WW2, Keith.

Don't know about you but I see little in the US that arouses the pride I used to feel for my country.

Several years ago, Glenn Campbell and Jimmy Rodgers (I think) made popular a song entitled "The World I Used To Know" which perfectly expresses my feelings nowadays.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• It's good to see that somewhere history is remembered. Like Stumpy says, we don't see that much of such ceremonies going on here (although on Memorial Day and Veteran's Day, a lot of veterans - we have a host of VFW organizations here in San Antonio - stage remembrances to honor our fallen.).
    Your posting of Torquay's ceremony gave me a catch in my throat!
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Hi

In Portsmouth we have the D Day Museum and a small Memorial Stone by our canoe lake.

Just outside Portsmouth is Southwick House where the D Day landings were planned and the charts and maps are left on the wall of the main room exactly as they were in 1944.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Thank you both Keith and Arthur, for telling about the D-Day stories. I have always wanted to go to England and if I ever do, those are two places I want to visit-not leaving out the Imperial War Museum on Lambeth Road in London.

The "Ivy Leaf" Division, is one of my favorite US Inf Divs to read about. :thumbs_up: The Big Red One also landed on one of the beaches at Normandy :thumbs_up: . Those guys rival my interest w/ the Ivy Leaves. The Second "Indian Head" and 3rd Inf (Rock of the Marnes/Blue and White Devils) Divs are my other fave US units :thumbs_up::thumbs_up:. Im probably surprising a few folks because im not ranting about any German units. :teeth_smile:

Granny from: The Beverly Hillbillies, thought that the Germans were Yankees. :D

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Thanks for this link Keith. I had not heard of this operation before-strange as it may seem ;-)) I think i'll give the Ladies and Gents @ www.ww2f.com a "heads-up" about that site.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..