While in Bandera recently.

There are 2 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,200 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Between moving and two Hurricanes, I managed to get to a place we have a time share condo-which is a place that used to be called: The Bandera River Ranch-which ic located about 30 minutes drive northwest of San Antonio. I think it's name is now Pinnacle-yuk. Anyway, we have a two storey condo in A-for "Antler" building. This sits on a cliff overlooking a river-which is alwas dry :( but really is a nice place.

We decided to go into Bandera to walk around and go into a few stores and tourist trap shops. I went into a great place called: "Gunslingers," and wanted to buy several items there including a beautiful handmade and designed leather wallet. However, I didn't have the money to spare at that time. I did buy something-which was a nicely done copy of an all cast member of: The Alamo-with Duke, Richard Widmark and Laurence Harvey all out in front of everyone else. Missing from the picture was Patrick Wayne (Captain James Butler Bonham) and Jack Pennick-as the grizzeled old American Sergeant. Also, Richard Boone was not there-which was a disappointment but, the photo is really a nice one. It cost about $15 bucks.

One of the cast members in the photo, I think lives very near or in Bandera itself. Sorry I can't think of his name but, I think he was the character who said: "It Do." Someone sent me his address at one time, and I hope to find it so I can send this pic to him for an autograph.

Anyway, one of the reasons I bring this up is that Bandera is home to a really great (and old) place called: O.S.T-for: Old Spanish Trail. It's been around for I think 150 or so years and is family owned by a local family. I got to meet two of the Daughters who were very pretty. Anyway, the OST used to be a Saloon duning the old west days and they have had several shootouts take place inside and more outside. You can still see the bullet-holes in the Oak bar and in some walls.

The OST is also listed (or used to be) in the Guiness Book of World Records for having the worlds longest continuing bar.

OK, that aside, they also have some excellent food. I of course, had one of their Chickenfried Steaks with potatoes and a trip to the salad bar-which looks like a Chuckwagon. This was on Sunday. Well, thanks to Hurricane Edouard-we had to cut short the vacation to go home and batten down the hatches. Only three of us were still in Bandera on Tuesday-so we decided to have another meal at the old spanish trail restaurant.

The time of the afternoon that we went to go eat there there were only about 10 or so other people there. This place has two dining rooms. The 2nd and biggest one, is where the "Chuckwagon/Salad BAr" is located. But before you could go there, you had to walk through a doorway that had a Winchester Rifle mounted above a sigh that said: "The John Wayne Room." This room of course featured probably 100 photos (I didn't count how many but there were plenty) of John Wayne, as well as several of others like Gene Autry, Roy Rogers etc.

The table we chse also had some autographned photos of the "It Do" guy from The Alamo, mounted on the wall right next to where we sat. On SUnday, I asked one of my Nephews who had a camera-to see if he could geta few shots of the place but, I don't know if he could do so. If he did, I have to wait till he gets back from his Honeymoon in order for him to send them to me-or to see if he is willing to post them here for me?

BAndera may be a small town, but it is a great place to vacation at.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Edited 3 times, last by The Ringo Kid ().

• My family and I went thru there earlier this summer after spending a week in Concan. We also ate at the OST. Your right, the food was good but the atmosphere was even better.

• My family and I went thru there earlier this summer after spending a week in Concan. We also ate at the OST. Your right, the food was good but the atmosphere was even better.

Hi Sheriff, glad to see someone else from this site has been there. I vacationed at Concan for a week about 30 or so years ago. We went tubing down the river and I remember getting a bad sunburn. During that vacation, we also got to go tour Gov Dolf Briscoe Mansion. We got there and some explosives expert put on a show for us. I remember how loud those blasting caps were when they went off.

The OST was always my favorite place to eat at when we stayed at the River Ranch. Bandera also used to have another nice restaurant called: The Purple Cow. If I remember, they were as good or almost as good as the OST is. However, when we arrived, I heard that they closed down a year or two ago.

One thing I forgot to mention is that we saw plenty of young and old Deer roaming about everywhere. That sure was nice to see. I almost was able to pet one when one came around to eat a few things we could give to it. I was within a few inches of petting it when in the distance, someones car back-fired and the Deer bolted away.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..