General "RIP" announcements that might be of interest

There are 3,145 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,158,633 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• NFL Broadcaster Pat Summerall Dies at 82

Longtime NFL broadcaster Pat Summerall has died at age 82.

Summerall was an announcer with CBS in radio and television for 32 years, before joining Fox when the network took over CBS’ NFL package in 1994. An analyst or play-by-play man on 16 Super Bowls for television and 10 on radio, Summerall was best known for teaming with commentator John Madden and before him, Tom Brookshier.

“We never had one argument, and that was because of Pat,” Madden said Tuesday. “He was a great broadcaster and a great man. He always had a joke. Pat never complained and we never had an unhappy moment. He was something very special. Pat Summerall is the voice of football and always will be.”

Summerall also frequently broadcast major golf and tennis events such as the Masters and the U.S. Open. He was named national sportscaster of the year in 1977 and elected to the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Assn. Hall of Fame in 1994. That same year, he was honored with the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s Pete Rozelle Radio-Television Award.

Prior to becoming a broadcaster, Summerall was an NFL kicker for nine seasons, scoring 563 points, and was with the New York Giants in the so-called “Greatest Game Ever Played,” the 1958 NFL Championship Game that was the first overtime game in league history.

http://variety.com/2013/tv/new…ll-dies-at-82-1200375646/

• I have been lax about posting on deaths. I will catch up all in one mail here. Happy Trails to all yall and glad to know you will be "back in your respective elements", free of pain, and happy to be amongst friends and relatives. I will say for Jonathan Winters, I never cared much for him in movies, but he was hell on wheels on variety shows.......particularly ones that allowed for adlibbing............one super job he did with those.

As for Pat Summerall, a very special Sports commentator has gone to his just rewards. Say hi to Ed Thilenius for me, Pat.........enjoyed knowing you at the different golf tourneys and some of the football games you and Ed broadcasted around '66 and '67! One super nice guy...........NEVER saw him the least bit ungracious and sometimes there were some hard times to hold back........but he did and managed to make all come out OK with everyone. Bit of a "peace negotiator" on the cuff he was among a long list of other commendable things. Hit the field running, Pat, and enjoy!

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Always loved the way Summerall called a football game. Made it sound nice and easy. I would rather listen to him 24 hrs a day than to hear Joe Buck and his boring monotone even 5 minutes.

• Reading a British paper in the library today I came across and obit for opera singer/actress Rise Stevens. She was in Going My Way. She died March 20 at 99.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/…of-carmen-dies-at-99.html

She had a beautiful voice. She was effective in "Going My Way." I also remember her son Nicolas Surovy in many guest starring appearances in TV series. I didn't know he was her son.

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Allan Arbus--who was most noted for playing the character of: Major Sidney Freedman on: M*A*S*H passed away at the age of 95.

Rest in Peace Allan, I liked you in what I saw you in.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Edited once, last by The Ringo Kid ().

• I'm a huge MASH fan so i'm sad to hear of this, I always enjoyed his guest stints in MASH and he became a more regular part of the show near the end after Gary Burghoff left, seems he lived a long life though.

Same here--he was good and I wished he had more guest spots during the series run. His bits with Klinger are a killer of a hoot. :lol::lol:

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..