General "RIP" announcements that might be of interest

There are 3,145 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,161,899 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Anyone unfamiliar with Leslie's early work should check out either Disney's "Swamp Fox" or "The Sheepman" a neat, amusing little western with Glenn Ford, Shirley MacLaine, Edgar Buchanan, Mickey Shaughnessy and Pedro Gonzalez. The writing credit is given to William Roberts (The Magnificent Seven) but James Edward Grant did a lot of work on it. It's on Warner's dvd to order site.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Ron Santo died.

HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE HALL OF FAME.

He had Hall of Fame numbers and he put those numbers up having Juvenile Diabetes his entire career.

He raised millions of dollars for JD research.

He had multiple bypass surgery, both legs amputated and bladder cancer.

He hated the Mets and New York. His toupee caught on fire in the broadcast booth in Shea stadium.

He should have been in the Hall of Fame.

• Dandy Don Meredith has died at 72.

Don Meredith, a star quarterback on the football field and a legendary broadcaster off it, died on Sunday in Santa Fe, N.M., after suffering a brain hemorrhage. He was at 72.

Meredith played nine seasons for the Dallas Cowboys in the 1960s, and then upstaged himself with a distinguished broadcasting career on ABC's Monday Night Football, where he served two stints – from 1970-73 and 1977-84.

He was one of the first players to make the transition to the broadcast booth, and quickly won over viewers with a colorful, folksy, Southern style that included singing the Willie Nelson line "Turn out the lights, the party's over" when a team's lead seemed insurmountable.

"He was the best there was," Meredith's wife, Susan, told the Associated Press. "We lost a good one."

Meredith, who grew up in Mount Vernon, Texas, led the Cowboys to NFL championship games in 1966 and 1967 but lost both times to Green Bay.

http://www.people.com/people/a….html?xid=rss-fullcontent

• Wow, Ron Santo. One of MLB's superstars from my childhood. That guy was one helluva ball player. Him and Ernie Banks were the Cubs 1-2 punch in the very early 60's. And yes, he should be in the Hall of Fame. In fact, he should've been there long before Ryne Sandberg ever got in. Sandberg was a great player but, I don't think he did anything better than Santo.
    I nearly forgot about Billy Williams. So Santo, Banks and, Williams made a mighty threesome for Cubs back in those days.

Edited once, last by WaynamoJim: More content ().

• Elizabeth Edwards, wife of John Edwards, who was Kerry's running mate in the 06 election has died at 61 of breast cnacer. I read earlier today that they were ceasing all treatments because they were doing no good anymore and that she had 2 months to live at the most. She didn't even survive the day. Thought she was a classy lady having to go through her fight with cancer, topped off by the publicizing of her husbands affair with that photographer which resulted in a child. She just kept her head up all the way and lived the remainder of her life the best she could. As for John Edwards, he can take a long walk off a short dock for all I care but, he'll end up smelling like a rose. He'll probably marry that woman now and live happily ever after but, not till he plays the part of the grieving husband for all it's worth. RIP Mrs. Edwards.

• Sometimes I think GOD is very selfish. He takes some good people to soon to live with Him. RIP Elizabeth Edwards. John can't hurt you anymore.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• Wow, some pretty big Hollywood names passed into history this year. One I noticed was June Havoc. She was the sister of Gypsy Rose Lee and in the stage play and movie, Gypsy, she was Baby June, who their mother tried pushing into stardom until she rebelled and left the act.

• Really Liked the Blake Edwards "Pink Panter" series with Peter Sellers. That was genius making those films. "Breakfast at Tiffany's" is a classic too. RIP

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Blake also made "Sunset" with Bruce Willis as Tom Mix and James Garner as Wyatt Earp. This was a Great western done in his comitic style. One of my favorites. Tom Mix was involved in Duke's start. There are some mixed opinions as to how. Anyway the flick was entertaining.

• I kind of liked that one movie, S.O.B. The one where his wife, Julie Andrews went topless for the first and only time in her career. My favorite character was the doctor played by Robert Preston, and in one scene, someone calls him a schyster and he gets mad and says, "don't you call call me a schyster. I'll sue you for everything you've got. I'm a quack". Always thought those lines were kind of funny.