Probably not exactly a newbie question...

There are 8 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,396 times. The latest Post () was by ShortGrub.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I'm new to this forum, but an old hand here on the internet. The reason I joined up (besides being a John Wayne fan, of course) is that I'm trying to run to ground an old family rumor.

You see, my father was born in Oskaloosa, IA. His mother's maiden name (and thus, my paternal grandmother's maiden name) was Mary Morrison. As most of you know, JW was born in Winterset, IA with the name Marion Morrison. I've not been able to verify it, but my parents told me a few years ago that we were shirt-tail relatives of some sort. Since both of my folks have passed on, that path of enquiry is closed to me. Can anyone point to some place that I can research JW's geneology? I'll be surprised if it's actually true, but it sure would be cool if it were, eh?

TIA,
    Larry Kennedy

• Hi grindertek

WELCOME to The Original JWMB.

Please take a look around,
    we're a friendly bunch of folks,
    and there is a wealth of information to see,
    regarding the great man.

You may find these links useful:-

John Wayne:- A Newbies Guide to Duke

Link to Duke's Movies, Co-Stars- Pals Of The Saddle and Movie Locations

Thanks for your post and we do have a dedicated sub forum

Duke's Family

Most of information obtainable from books is summarised here.
    As far as getting deeper into Duke's geneology,
    I think you will find it very difficult!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hello and welcome to the forum, grindertek. Glad to have you aboard. Like Keith has stated, tracing Duke's roots is difficult. I have read tons of books on or about Duke and only one delved into his geneology, and that was John Wayne: American by Randy Roberts and James s. Olson published in 1995. And they just delved into his immediate tree (Parents, Grandparents, great Grandparents and so on. It doesn't branch out into cousins and such. Have you tried any Geneology websites? I wish you luck on your search. Let us know if you gain any ground. And don't go being a stranger, the more fans the better on this board.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Larry,

WELCOME to the Original John Wayne Message Board, THE place to be for John Wayne fans!

Probably one of the best sources for genealogical information is the Mormon church. Not only have they amassed a huge amount of information, I expect you will get some assistance in the "how-to's" if you have never done any genealogical searches before.

We hope you have a good time around here - as you can see if you click on Keith's links, there's a bunch of good reading about our man and his movies. And do let us know if you end up being a "shirt-tail relative" of John Wayne.

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

• Welcome, Larry, to our friendly place on the internet. Hope you have some good luck tracking your geneology and maybe it will cross paths with that of JW.
    Stick around here too - we're a very friendly bunch!

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Hi grindertek

WELCOME ABOARD AMIGO!

There's a lot of great folks here.

Pull up a stump.

Looking forward to your posts!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Monseur, you are a LuLu!" (The Comancheros)

• Welcome grindertek to the JW forums. The Mormon library has plenty of genealogical helps and resources. Ancestry.com and Genealogy.com, both which are paid subscription sites have good resources.
    Remember to always look where you least expect to find something, it is where you will usually find it.:wink_smile:

Tschüss.