Montana/Wyoming Battlefields

There are 7 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,222 times. The latest Post () was by FarmerSteve.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I been doing some site seeing over the weekend and thought id show ya'll some of these pictures. Not going to give a history lesson, but the pictures may be of interest to some of you so you can see what these places look like.

This is the monument at the Fetterman Battlefield near Ft Phil Kearney in North Central Wyoming. 48-49 massacred soldier were found here where this monument sets. The remaining of the origional men were scattered dead along the ridge.

The plaque reads:

On this field on the 21st Day Of December 1866, three commissioned officers and seventy six privates of the 18th US Infantry and of the 2nd US Cavalry and four civilians under the command of Captain Brevet Lt Col William J Fetterman were killed by a overwhelming force of Sioux under the command of Red Cloud. There Were No Survivors

The picture below is massacre hill. Where the troops made there final stand in desparate retreat.

Below is where the Wagon Box Fight took place. This battle was fought by wood cutters and soldiers from Fort Kearney as well shortly after the Fetterman Massacre, they were successful in resisting and surviving the attack.

The last for now is the Rosebud battlefield, Located near Decker Montana on the fringe of the Wolf Mountains. The battlefield was began at the Rosebud Creek where the General Crooks soldiers rested and a retreat for several 1000 yards of hill hopping staying on the high ground to the North. Crook commanded over 1300 green men with 1500 indians against them.

The indians charged the soldier camp down the draw in this picture, the soldiers retreated to the north on the high ground on the right hand side of the picture the Rosebud Creek was at the end of the draw.

Edited 3 times, last by FarmerSteve ().

• Thanks for the pictures, FarmerSteve. I enjoyed seeing them. I remember reading a long time ago about Red Cloud and his battle against the woodcutters. It's great to see where it took place. Please feel free to add any more that you may have. I know I am not the only member on here that enjoys a little history.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Ill add some more dukefan, theres some on my profile to. I hope to make it to The Little Bighorn Battlefield, and The Hole in The Wall soon, the beauty if it is these places are all with in 100 miles of me. Ive never been to outgoing and stayin home and workin is startin to drive me nuts so I ve finally decided its time to have some fun and take advantage of these things. Ill upload more to my profile to.

This the valley that the Sioux were encamped in, right below massacre ridge at The Fetterman Massacre. It is not know exactly how the attack happened or the exact routes. Some believe Fetterman came down the valley others down the ridge.

This ridge on the top of the picture was supposedly a patrol route, on top of massacre hill the Bozeman Trail went over the soldiers patroled to protect the trail. The Wagon ruts are still visible. How the patrol missed such a large encampment baffling.

Here is another view of the Wagon Box Fight, battle veterans all disagreed in later years of the exact location so it could be anywhere in the pictures. You will notice the snow, the battle happened at fairly high elevation, all these pictures were taken this weekend.

This is the monument at the Wagon Box

Here is westward view from Ft Kearney the Fort never was reconstructed it was all wood and consumed 17 acres within it log walls.

Here is some of the rosebud, it is the high ground of the battle that crook fled to.

This is where the draw the attack started from begins. I starts at the same place crook passes in his retreat

Edited 3 times, last by FarmerSteve ().

• Hey, thanks for the pics FarmerSteve. I was first out there in 93, saw the Fort Kearny site, went looking for the Wagon Box site but couldn't find it and never got to see the Fetterman site. Never saw the Rosebud Fight site but, we drove by it on our way to the Little Big Horn Battlefield. Been to that twice, in 93 and 04. Also in 93, we tried getting back into the Hole In The Wall area but, the car we had could not get through those back roads. They were not in very good shape at the time and some locals said we shouldn't attempt it. That it might rip out the bottom of the car. Really wanted to see it, too.

• well joe when i make it to the hole in the wall ill post some pics, im on hold until the snow melts away and it drys up, as you said the road aint good. And hopefully i can scare up a horse so i can cover more ground since its BLM and it is allowed. I imagine the elevation is high enough that there is still 2 foot or more of snow, but im not sure. The wagon box i wondered a time or two if i had missed it on the way cause it is a ways further up the road and a lot higher elevation.