Books on Duke- Past Discussion (Archive)

There are 467 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 221,727 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi Vera,

On researching my Reviews and 'Pal's
    I use not only IMDb and The New York Times,
    but also some 15 books, The Big Trail,
    and the journals of the John Wayne Film Society.

The book you mention is

The Young Duke: The Early Life of John Wayne

(Hardcover)

by Chis Enss, Howard Kazanjian.

208 Pages

Published with the help of the Wayne Family,
    includes unpublished, family photographs,
    and personal memories.

Priced at £14.95 plus post and pacakage £3.00
    available also from the John Wayne Film Society

Here is their link:-

JWFS

and here is the Amazon link:-

Amazon Book

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi Mike,

The latest books would appear to be:-

The Young Duke: The Early Life of John Wayne
    by Chis Enss, Howard Kazanjian.

The Lost Films Of John Wayne
    (The High and the Mighty and Island in the Sky)
    by Caroline McGivern

John Ford and the American West

by Peter Cowie

Horizons West: Directing the Western from John Ford to Clint Eastwood
    by Jim Kitses.

Rio Bravo: BFI Film Classics
    by Robin Hood

John Ford:- The Complete Films
    by Scott Eyman

The Searchers: Essays and Reflections on John Ford's Classic Western
    by Arthur Eckstien and Peter Lehman

Picture The Quiet Man- An Illustrated Celebration

by Des McHale

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi Keith,
    thank you for information. From your list I already have Scott Eyman book about Ford.

About this book Young Duke I already heard favorable reviews.

But I must read JW American first.

Regards,
    Vera :rolleyes:

• Hi

Just received my copy of The Trail Beyond volume VIII. I can't believe that it is eight yeras since the Big Trail completed and The Trail Beyond began. As always Tim Lilley does a memorable job and interestingly reviews the book The young Duke - the early life of John Wayne by HOWARD KAZANJIAN CHRIS ENNS suggesting that the inaccuarcies in the book make it one to avoid at all cost.

In Tim's Trail Beyond there are articles on
    The Winds of the Wasteland
    An interview with Eddy Donno
    An article on Pedro Armandariz
    The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
    McLintock
    Barbarian & the Geisha
    An Article by Leonard Maltin on Republic Shorts

112 pages @ $26 well worth the money.

[ATTACH]1104]

Regards

Arthur

• Hi Arthur, I agree with you completely,
    and I always thought Tim's The Big Trail
    a great series, which sadly, eventually had to come
    to an end.

Arthur, you may be interested,
    (and I trust, if I know you at all,
    that you have everything neatly filed away, ha ha)
    that Tim put one of my pieces on the front page of
    Volume XV. June 1999
    He signed me a personal copy with his thanks.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi Keith,
    Great song, it is a pity that it is impossible to hear it with music.
    Regards,

• Hi All

A long thread but my two cents would be as follows:-

The first biography that I read on John Wayne was by Dave Grayson and is entertaining & informative.

The books by Pilar and Aissa are also well worth reading giving their perspective.

Pat Stacy's account gives different insights on the last 7 years of Duke's life that contradict other accounts but is agood read

John Wayne American by Randy Roberts would be a definitive read but heavy to hold!!

The most entertaining is Michael Munn's which is from a fan's prospective. I like Michael's writing style from Photoplay days and his previous books. A few items
    in the book do take some believing but it is well written in as Ford would say "Print the legend" style.

The one to avoid as mentioned previously in the thread is Garry Wills. The only John Wayne book I have ever disposed off.

Mike

• Hi Keith Vera

Keith yes I remember the piece very well. It was very good.

Vera

When Tim finished writing The Big Trail he turned to what must have been a true labour of love writing four 'Campfire' books Campfire Conversations,Campfire Rekindled, Campfire Embers and Campfires Glow. These books were a series of interviews with the cream or even it would be true to say of the royalty of John Wayne's co workers the stunt men and actors who appeared over and over again in his pictures.

With this herculean effort finished and after a very brief rest he issued a yearly annual entitled The Trail Beyond. Keeping up the high standard the books are interesting accurate and to use an American expression insightful.

Tim is freely accepted by many as one of if not the leading expert on John Wayne and his life.

According to Tim's latest book he still has some of the Big Trail editions available, two of the original campfire books Campfire Embers and Campfires Rekindled and all but the first issue of the Trail Beyond available.

If you want to contact him his mail address is [email protected].

regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi All

Another John Wayne book for your consideration

John Wayne: Prophet of the American Way of Life - Emanuel Levy

John Wayne was one of the most popular and most durable stars in film history. But he was more than an actor or a movie star; he was a national legend, a folk hero, and a powerful symbol of the American Dream. This is a critical examination of John Wayne, the person, the actor, the film star, the political figure, and the mythic legend. It describes Wayne's film work in terms of his life, and his life in terms of movies. The text also views the cultural significance of "the phenomenon of John Wayne" by placing him and his movies in the broader contexts of the film industry and American society at large.The book evaluates Wayne's film oevre by comparing with other major stars of the generation, particularly those with similar screen images, such as Gary Cooper, Henry Ford, and James Stewart.
    Details

Author Emanuel Levy
    Publisher Scarecrow Press,U.S. (USA)
    Year 1988
    ISBN 0810835312

• Another new release just out a month

John Wayne: There Rode a Legend (Hardcover)
    by Maureen O'Hara (Foreword), Jane Pattie (Author)

Synopsis
    Traces the life of the famous actor from his beginning in Winterset, Iowa, his Hollywood film career, his role as a cattle-breeder and rancher, and his political beliefs, to his death in 1979.

Hardcover: 276 pages Publisher: Western Classics (15 Nov 2006) Language English ISBN: 0967053404

[ATTACH]1110]

• There Rode a Legend by Jane Pattie is a Great Book and was Approved by the Wayne Family. :)

We have Copys here at Duke's Ranch and the Book is one of the Most Popular Books here at Duke's 26 Bar Ranch. It is a Large Coffee Table Book, But it tells You just about everything about the Duke ! :D

Bill :cowboy:

• Hi Bill

What price is There Rode a Legend book from you?

Amazon have it at £55.00 (roughly $100.00). I would rather give you the business
    if airmail shipping wasnt to high

Best

Mike

• Hi Arthur,
    Thank you so much for the information. As soon as possible I shall contact Tim and try to buy some of his books. Right now I'm planning New year trip to Paris with my son and very short on money. But I'm very interested in this books.
    Regards,

• Hi All

Is this the Japanese John Wayne book talked about earlier in the thread

JOHN WAYNE
    This Japanese publication has to be one of the great JW books – even though most of us won’t be able to read it. A hefty book with great, clear, and sometimes rare photographs of his films.
    This is mostly about the photographs, so who cares about the reading

Mike

[ATTACH]1111]

• Hi ejgreen77

I have just obtained a copy of The Lost Films of John Wayne (2006) by Carolyn McGivern from Play.com.

Haven't had a chance to read yet so I will come back with opinion.

Mike

• eigreen77:
    I've read this book and I must say that it is excellent. It has the two movies that JW starred in, Island In the Sky and The High And The Mighty. It took about 1 month to arrive but I must say that I couldn't but it done.
    wbbison