Books on Duke- Past Discussion (Archive)

There are 467 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 222,114 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi Bill & Mark

Thanks for the compliment

'The Bargirl & the Cowboy' is the second story of mine that Tim published in his 'The Trail Beyond'. The first was 'The John Wayne Timeline' which took a slightly different stance on Dukes films in that rather than list his films in chronological oreder I took them in the year that the film represented i.e his first appearnace as an actor would have been in biblical days working on 'Noahs Ark'.

'The Bargirl and the Cowboy' was inspired by a question that Hondo asked earlier this year with his thread on films you wished he had made. Thinking about this I put in a scenario and thinking a little further showed it to Tim Lilley who put it in his book.

Its a story of a Cowboy (Duke) down on his luck who on Christmas Eve finds himself broke in an old ghost town. There in a saloon he meets a bargirl (Maureen) who takes him on a series of three visits to his past and the future in order to prove to him that his being on the planet made a difference to a number of people.

Its a sort of cross between A Christmas Carol and Its a Wonderful Life.

Regard

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

I almost forgot to add also in the book its like old home week for our former members

The John Wayne Birthday Celebration was written by Michael Waak (Dakota Surfer)

& Make Some Noise Colerado was written by Roland Schaefli better known to us as ITDO

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Keith

It a good idea we did it on a couple of occasions with a communial story I think that is where the three word story came from.

It might be an idea to resurrect it.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Arthur , as you wrote the stories,
    you are the holder of the copyright.
    It's only if you copy the books,
    (like a photo)
    are you infringing copyright.
    I wouldn't have throught Tim,
    would sue the author??

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I do not Know how it is in The U.K., but in The U.S. if You have Published Your Work in any Way, and the Someone Else Publishes Your Work You Still Have Pryor Rights to that Work, unless You Have Sighed Over Those Rights !

Bill
    :cowboy:

• Hi All

Yes your right about the mis spelling, I'll apologise to him if he picks me up about it.

Regarding the Bargirl and the Cowboy, if I can find a way to do it with my lack of computer skills I'll put it on here.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Have any of you read the book by Michael Munn, John Wayne: The Man Behind the Myth?

The author claims to have had a lot of first hand access to Duke and his friends. I've only read excerpts.

Just wondering your thoughts and how accurate the book is.

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• I read Pat's book and enjoyed it greatly. Have found many books at alibris.com. They are often old library books, but have had great luck with all that I have purchased. Prices are right!

• Have any of you read the book by Michael Munn, John Wayne: The Man Behind the Myth?

The author claims to have had a lot of first hand access to Duke and his friends. I've only read excerpts.

Just wondering your thoughts and how accurate the book is.

Tbone,

Here are a couple of threads that discuss Mr. Munn's book -

Stalin Tried to Kill The Duke!

John Wayne 'The man behind the myth' by Michael Munn

Enjoy!

Chester :newyear:

• I will say it Again if You want Read about The Real John Wayne, at least the Last 7 Years of His Life It would be In Pat Stacy's Book ,
    "Duke A Love Story"
    :wink_smile:
    After all She was with Duke Almost all the time in those Last 7 Years and Was also His Last Sweetheart, and tells it the way it Really Was,
    The Good And Bad !
    :ohmy:
    If you want to know more about how Pat Stacy Met The Duke You can Go To

Chilibill
    :cowboy:

• Thanks Chester and Chilibill for the heads up.

I sort of took the story about the Soviets as just a fable. Just seems too absurd to me.

Thanks again!

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."