Why does hollywood, just HAVE to mix War and Western movies, with the Twilight Zone?

There are 19 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 6,517 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I learned o a new "war movie" being made which is being made by the guy who produced the first two original Star Wars movies. This movie is called: Panzer 88 and deals with a King Tiger tank crew and some adventures on the (Wierd) Eastern Front in 1944.

OK, im all for any new and well intended made movies dealing with the War on the Eastern Front, anytime. But this new movie takes the cake ala like the Jonah Hex movie. This German Tiger tank crew will be involved in Twilight Zone-like adventures that take place on the Eastern Front. I have seen a few screen shots from this movie and the effects look pretty good but-just way cant these freaks in hollywood just make a straight clean-cut even if totally fiction-based on some actual acccount of actions on the Eastern Front (ala) Enemy At the Gates) type of movie? There are ZILLIONS of stories that they could make coming out of what we know that happened on the Eastern Front. Heck, id probably support any and all stories-just as long as the "wierd" and the "occult" and "sciecnce fiction" is NOT mixed up in these stories.

Anyone here feel the same way as I do on this?

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Edited once, last by The Ringo Kid ().

• It is in the hope that some how putting together a combination war & sci fi will hit the jackpot at the box office. wait until you get the first war musicial. Actually it has already happened Richard Attenborough's Oh' What a Lovely War

On another theme look at two war movies recently released. Defiance with Daniel Craig which tells the true story of Jewish resistance fighters against Germans in Eastern Europe in WW2 and then look at Inglorious Bastards by Tarantino which at best is cartoon fantasy for the early teen boys with no resemblance of the truth. In fact it does every film about WW2 a serious dis-service to the point that The Dirty Dozen looks realistic.

Which film got the most publicity and budget which one was a better movie. It is a shame that serious film makers do not get the chances to make decent movie yet cretins who can hardly read the funny papers are handed millions to produce crap.

• It is in the hope that some how putting together a combination war & sci fi will hit the jackpot at the box office. wait until you get the first war musicial. Actually it has already happened Richard Attenborough's Oh' What a Lovely War

On another theme look at two war movies recently released. Defiance with Daniel Craig which tells the true story of Jewish resistance fighters against Germans in Eastern Europe in WW2 and then look at Inglorious Bastards by Tarantino which at best is cartoon fantasy for the early teen boys with no resemblance of the truth. In fact it does every film about WW2 a serious dis-service to the point that The Dirty Dozen looks realistic.

Which film got the most publicity and budget which one was a better movie. It is a shame that serious film makers do not get the chances to make decent movie yet cretins who can hardly read the funny papers are handed millions to produce crap.

Hi Duke, ive heard of Attenboroughs movie but never seen it--yet ;-)) I do have Defiance on DvD and liked it fro what its worth (about $20) but at least they tried to get it right. I also fully agree with you on tarantinos latest piece of garbage-ala Inglorious B-tards. I hated the original and know id hate this one too if I ever saw it? which aint going to happen.

Ive always said this about the IB remake: "You cant make an Eagle out of a Turkey". ;-))

• I just watched Defiance again, and think it was a really good film. I do disagree with you fellas in thinking that Inglorious Bastards was a bad film because it wasn't even close in the factual department. I watched it as a piece of fiction, and enjoyed it alot. I think the acting was great and the story kept me interested all the way through. I've even watched it more than once. :twitchsmile:

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I just watched Defiance again, and think it was a really good film. I do disagree with you fellas in thinking that Inglorious Bastards was a bad film because it wasn't even close in the factual department. I watched it as a piece of fiction, and enjoyed it alot. I think the acting was great and the story kept me interested all the way through. I've even watched it more than once. :twitchsmile:

Mark

Hi Mark, I would watch it had it not been for three things; tarantino, pitt and the silliness of it all. The original is barly worth watching and strange as it is, I remember liking it when I first saw it when I was about 15.

• I think the main reason the "supernatural/Sci-fi" element is being added to westerns and war movies is this..straight forward westerns and war movies simply don't make money anymore. It is called show BUSINESS and that means making a profit.
    Most kids these days want Special FX movies (super heroes, Space ships etc) but have little or no interest in cowboys or soldiers.
    Add in some aliens, monsters, vampires and you might get them in to the theaters.
    Eventually, a straight forward western or war movie will get made and be popular and make money, after that they'll be making them by the bunch.
    Right now , several westerns are in the works, mostly remakes of "True Grit", "Gunsmoke" and "The Big Valley". Not much but it's a start.
    Besides, it's not exactly a new idea to mix in elements of fantasy into westerns.
    Gene Autry made a sci-fi western back in the '30's called "The Phantom Empire"(remade in the '70's)
    In the '50's Universal Pictures made a vampire western called "Curse Of The Undead"
    The 60's brought us the great TV series "The Wild Wild West" (forget that awful Will Smith movie)
    The 90's had "The Adventures Of Brisco County jr"

And several episodes of "The Twilight Zone" and "Star Trek" did western themed stories.

So you see, it's nothing new.
    If you don't like the new "weird" westerns, just skip them and watch the classics (Thank God for cable TV, and DVD's)
    I think "Real" westerns will be back some day. Just be patient.

A

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• Hi Phantom, id like to believe that showbusiness s the reason but I dont buy that. There are simply way too many untold stories that can be based on fact, that they have not made that would make them loads of money. Anyway, I MIGHT watch Panzer 88, only if to see a ""Tiger"" tank in action on the Eastern Front ;-))

• Hi Mark, I would watch it had it not been for three things; tarantino, pitt and the silliness of it all. The original is barly worth watching and strange as it is, I remember liking it when I first saw it when I was about 15.

You know though, Karl, I don't think Inglorious Basterds was meant to be taken seriously. Most, if not all of QT's movies are that way. They all seem to be spoofs of some sorts of different movie genre. I mean, look at the way Brad Pitt played his character. Like some redneck out for bloodlust and his name, Aldo Rain, has to be a tribute to Aldo Ray who played in some pretty good war movies in his day. I just think it was supposed to be silly.

• Hi Wayne, I pretty much figured that tarantinos movie wasnt meant to be serious but, the things that disturb me, is that even if unintentional? that movie will throw the Germans back decades to where they were mocked in Wartime and slightly postwar made movies where they were all depicted either as: Stupid, incapable of fighting, cowardly, murderous-baby-killing jerks. Whats even worse is that todays youth WILL believe tarantinos version of WWII instead of what actually happened.

I do know and have known many many WWII German vets-and very proud to have known most of the ones I did know, and for me personally (as is to them) tarantino is yet another who is needlessly "slapping" them in the face.

I dont know but, I just cant bring myself to watch tarantinos movie. SOme movies I really like that is in the same vein as I.B is, are movies like: Edge of Darkness, Purple Heart, Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo, and Desperate Journey. As these were or most were wartime released movies, I dont mind hat they were pretty much the way they were to give Americans soemthing to laugh at. But in todays world, tarantinos vision is not needed.

Ill not knock anyone for watching it, after all-I gave Valkyrie a chance even though I cant stand tom cruise. ;-))

• I saw Valkyrie not long ago and thought it was pretty good, better than I expected. I to, am not a Cruise fan but, he did a pretty good job playing Von Stauffenburg(sp?). Also, just wanted you to know that I bought the Errol Flynn war movie set the other day. Got it at Sams Club for about $35 and it has Desperate Journey, Edge Of Darkness, Objective Burma, Uncertain Glory and, Northern Pursuit. It comes in a fold out pkg with the 5 discs all together instead of 5 separate dvds.

• Ringo, you make valid points but, remember, most movies today are made for teenagers and young families. The type of movie you suggest would be great entertainment, but who would watch it?

Considering the market, I wouldn't be surprised if teenaged vampires show up...

• You know though, Karl, I don't think Inglorious Basterds was meant to be taken seriously. Most, if not all of QT's movies are that way. They all seem to be spoofs of some sorts of different movie genre. I mean, look at the way Brad Pitt played his character. Like some redneck out for bloodlust and his name, Aldo Rain, has to be a tribute to Aldo Ray who played in some pretty good war movies in his day. I just think it was supposed to be silly.

I agree with this observation. I watched "Inglourious Basterds" last month and later checked the trivia on IMDB where it is pointed out that a number of characters' names were homages to past actors!

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• One thing I had forgotten to reply about was the homage to past actors. Brad Pitt aint no Aldo Ray and I truely believe Also Ray could not only drink him o the floor but out sox him in acting too. I dont dislike Pitt, but just cant stand him in anything ive seen him in.

• Have you ever seen Brad Pitt in Twelve Monkeys with Bruce Willis? He played a man that was several sandwiches short of a picnic and I think was his best roll. I like Pitt as an actor and can't think of any part he played that I didn't care for. To each his own, I guess.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Hi Duke, ive never heard of that movie before. I did see part of some movie he made about Troy? or some Sword and Sandal flick like that ;-))